Dopamine Agonists (pramipexole/cabergoline) For TRD/anhedonia

tizout

Does anyone have any experience on insight with using dopamine agonists for depression and anhedonia such as cabergoline (Dostinex) or pramipexole (Mirapex)? Here's a good guide showing the efficacy of Pramipexole for TRD/anhedonia (also see the video by Dr. Fawcett).

How would cabergoline (Dostinex) compare to pramipexole (Mirapex) for TRD and anhedonia? They're both potent dopamine agonists. Caber is touted to be the most efficacious dopamine agonist therapeutically with the least side effects (most people online prefer it over prami but they use it for body composition and sexual enhancement purposes and I think).

Caber is a potent D2 agonist and weak D1 agonist.
Prami is a moderate D2, D3 and D4 agonist but with stronger D3 agonism. I was under the impression that D2 agonism is the most important site receptor for mood and motivation related disorders while D4 is more responsible for executive functioning (ADHD). Not sure how D3 and D1 agonism comes into play.

Also, is it worth trying caber or prami if one tried l-dopa in the past (180 mg l-dopa daily for a month from mucuna pruriens)? I couldn't sleep on it and I got DAWS symptoms upon discontinuation.

bionicheart

Did you try the Pramipexole? I have some and want to try it but want to hear more experiences..

olive

I’ve used caber extensively. I noticed no effect in immediate mood however it did over time make me a much bigger risk taker. I became a compulsive liar, shoplifter and in general payed much less attention to the long term repercussions of my actions. I’ve since read studies that correlate caber and risk taking - which really connected the dots for me and helped explain that weird stage in my life.

I do suffer from anhedenia and noticed no real benefit to using caber, from memory.

It does have pretty nice sexual side effects, it must potently block prolactin as while taking caber I was able to stay erect after orgasm and continue.

Edit: do note that cabergoline has negative effects on the heart - it’s not to be used without good reason, imo.

tanneron

I’ve used caber extensively. I noticed no effect in immediate mood however it did over time make me a much bigger risk taker. I became a compulsive liar, shoplifter and in general payed much less attention to the long term repercussions of my actions. I’ve since read studies that correlate caber and risk taking - which really connected the dots for me and helped explain that weird stage in my life.

I do suffer from anhedenia and noticed no real benefit to using caber, from memory.

It does have pretty nice sexual side effects, it must potently block prolactin as while taking caber I was able to stay erect after orgasm and continue.

Edit: do note that cabergoline has negative effects on the heart - it’s not to be used without good reason, imo.
What was your dose while on cabergoline?