Don't really crave fruit

Green Dot

Why is this?

I don't find fruit as appealing.

TheSir

Trust your cravings -- your body typically knows what it needs. Chances are your health isn't particularly good at the moment, as cravings for fresh fruits and vegetables increase at higher levels of health. There's seasonal variation too. Sometimes I crave a lot of meat (winter), other times a lot of fruits (spring), for example.

Korven

Same. I love eating starch and meat. My fruit/sweet cravings cap out at 1 or 2 apples per day.

I think I ruined my health in some ways by going against these cravings. Drinking sugary milk and fruit all day did me no good.

Donnea

If I trusted my cravings, I would just eat cookies, doughnuts, candy and ice cream. That's it. And I would snack constantly.
I would get no protein at all, no salt, hardly any vitamins, and lots of pufa. I would not eat beef liver, which I need in the worst way, or my skin cracks and peels off. Liver is the most important whole food supplement for my health.
We develop tastes for things over years, it doesn't always mean that it's good for us or that our cravings always tells us what we need. Funny thing, I used to be served beef liver in school as a kid, and I loved it. Now I hate it. It doesn't mean I don't need it, but that I have changed my taste for it.
I think it's more about re-training your taste buds. My two cents :)

ursidae

I think ancestry is very important, and the climate at a specific moment as TheSir pointed out. I’ve found a lot of people having great success just sticking to an ancestral type diet. I wonder how that would complicate things for half a East Asian half Finnish person that is living in Australia for example.

TheSir

If I trusted my cravings, I would just eat cookies, doughnuts, candy and ice cream. That's it. And I would snack constantly.
I would get no protein at all, no salt, hardly any vitamins, and lots of pufa. I would not eat beef liver, which I need in the worst way, or my skin cracks and peels off. Liver is the most important whole food supplement for my health.
We develop tastes for things over years, it doesn't always mean that it's good for us or that our cravings always tells us what we need. Funny thing, I used to be served beef liver in school as a kid, and I loved it. Now I hate it. It doesn't mean I don't need it, but that I have changed my taste for it.
I think it's more about re-training your taste buds. My two cents :)
The bodily intelligence can no doubt be tricked by consuming foods it has not evolved to handle. But more than that, craving those things points to a failure in energy metabolism -- thus raw energy intake will have a higher priority than micro- and macronutriental needs.. Excess craving for high-energy junk means that your cells are having a difficult time fueling themselves. With great energy metabolism you would be disgusted by those things, or at the very least not feel a pull towards them.

Donnea

The bodily intelligence can no doubt be tricked by consuming foods it has not evolved to handle. But more than that, craving those things points to a failure in energy metabolism -- thus raw energy intake will have a higher priority than micro- and macronutriental needs.. Excess craving for high-energy junk means that your cells are having a difficult time fueling themselves. With great energy metabolism you would be disgusted by those things, or at the very least not feel a pull towards them.
Yes, that is why I can't just submit to the cravings ;).
I think it's a little more complicated than just listening to your cravings. You have to find a balance.

TheSir

Yes, that is why I can't just submit to the cravings ;).
I think it's a little more complicated than just listening to your cravings. You have to find a balance.
Indeed. Perhaps I should've emphasized intelligent deconstruction of cravings over blindly trusting them in the first post. Craving potato chips for example could translate to several different needs, such as salt, energy or starch. Over time you learn to imagine eating any of these in isolation and so figure out what it is that you're really craving.

Donnea

Indeed. Perhaps I should've emphasized intelligent deconstruction of cravings over blindly trusting them in the first post. Craving potato chips for example could translate to several different needs, such as salt, energy or starch. Over time you learn to imagine eating any of these in isolation and so figure out what it is that you're really craving.
Yes I totally agree. This also made me think of an old client of mine. I went to her house to have her sign a document, and she had the roundest little Pug I have ever seen. He was awfully cute, but he didn't really get any exercise living with her, and he loved food. She had a cookie jar on the mantlepiece where she store his dog cookies. He kept going over there, asking for cookies, and each time she walked over and gave him one. She said "the vet says he is morbidly obese and that he shouldn't have these cookies, but he loves them so much, how can they be bad for him?" lol! Those were her exact words.

NodeCerebri

Yes I totally agree. This also made me think of an old client of mine. I went to her house to have her sign a document, and she had the roundest little Pug I have ever seen. He was awfully cute, but he didn't really get any exercise living with her, and he loved food. She had a cookie jar on the mantlepiece where she store his dog cookies. He kept going over there, asking for cookies, and each time she walked over and gave him one. She said "the vet says he is morbidly obese and that he shouldn't have these cookies, but he loves them so much, how can they be bad for him?" lol! Those were her exact words.
This made me think of my childhood when my mother explained to me why I was a fat little kid. I was the dog. Some people just shouldn’t be in responsible for other beings, really.

Donnea

This made me think of my childhood when my mother explained to me why I was a fat little kid. I was the dog. Some people just shouldn’t be in responsible for other beings, really.
Ouch! i was lucky to have had a mother who made everything from scratch, and was big on nutrition. It was a big deal when we went to a restaurant to celebrate my 18th birthday! However, back then she "knew" just like everyone else, that PUFA was good for you, and saturated fats were bad. So i grew up on margarine and cooking oils rather than butter. My dairy farmer grandpa was horrified.... I wish she had listened to him. Overall though, i grew up on root vegetables, potatoes, fruit, moderate meat and lots of milk & cheese (grandpa also had a cheese company). So it could have been a lot worse.