Don't Know Where To Turn. About To Give Up

troubledtimes

I am beyond struggling with anxiety in depression. Sick of it. The anxiety is the worst part I'm on the verge of phycosis here. I quit drinking for 5 months it helped somewhat but not all that much, tried suppliments, exercise, diet. Nothing is doing the trick. My senses are all screwed up sounds are extremely louder than they should be, going outside is to bright, I'm beyond frusterated and feel like breaking things in my room. I tried a b complex with high amounts of b1 no luck, l theanine, taurine, high quality multivitamin no luck. I can't smoke weed im the brain type of I do smoke it I freak right out it does not chill me out even tho it feels like nothing can make me feel worse weed will. The only way I can think of fixing this is to help out the seratonin and GABA networks in my brain. I'm irritable, not acting civil, angry, zero patience, no interest or pleasure in anything altho I know alot of people are against increasing seratonin on this sight it is related to patience and being content which I have zero of. Seeing how the limbic area of my brain is out of control seratonin would be the chemical to calm down those regions. GABA as well. I'm hoping somewhere can help me with a plan here or insight. Because there's no way I can tough this out much longer.

Ableton

whats going on in your life outside of your symptoms?
depression is often low thyroid and or low T, did you ever get that checked?
how did all of this start?

Arnold Grape

Without knowing a lot about you, some of these symptoms sound as though they could be blood sugar related, although my immediate recommendation would be to get a low dose Cypro regimen going and stick with the b1 — calories will be necessary. Not sure what your diet looks like.

boris

What I read from you, from derealization stuff to intrusive thoughts sound like you are hypothyroid and have serotonin excess. Did you check your thyroid function?
TSH, temperature, pulse rate, and other indicators in hypothyroidism
Thyroid, insomnia, and the insanities: Commonalities in disease
Thyroid: Therapies, Confusion, and Fraud

Are you still taking the pills? SSRIs prevent the deactivation of serotonin and basically destroy your health (you should search for articles about it on the forum or look up what Peat says about it). Also there is almost never a magic bullet supplement that will cure your issues (except thyroid maybe).

What is your diet like? Are you still eating grains? Standard wheat products are really bad. I read something about raw kale smoothies from you, they are goitrogenic (supress the thyroid). Cooked kale is good.
Ray Peat Diet, Food Choices, And General Guidelines

Bad diet can trigger anxiety, but a lot of anxiety problems have root causes that you can identify too. Anxiety from social situations can stem from something as simple as subconsciously being aware of the possibilty of getting asked a question that could make you uncomfortable for example. In that case to overcome the anxiety you would either need to come to terms with the uncomfortable fact or change it. Anxiety can come from all sorts of things like not having a steady income or not being content with what you do in life.

Last edited:

boris

Some people say they feel better on SSRIs, but it's because those medications raise allopregnanolone in the brain. Their anti-depressive effect does not come from their serotonin action.

I would ask a doctor because cyproheptadine will probably act in a way opposite to the serotonergic properties of the SSRI drug. Most doctors seem believe that serotonin is an anti-depressant while in reality most SSRI drugs raise allopregnanolone levels in the brain and some of them are even partial serotonin antagonists. Some doctors even prescribe cyproheptadine alone as an antidepressant therapy so you can ask the doctor about maybe doing that.

As many of forum users know, one of the real mechanisms of action of the SSRI drugs is not the increased serotonin but the increase in brain allopregnanolone these drugs cause. As such, there has been (secret) interest from Big Pharma for years in both allpregnanolone and its synthetic derivatives as antidepressant drugs. I posted not long ago on the fact that FDA was looking at approving allopregnanolone as antidepressant.
Allopregnanolone May Soon Be Approved As A Fast-acting Antidepressant

Well, now it appears that FDA has made up its mind and has approved allopregnanolone (Brexanolone) as a fast-acting antidepressant for post-partum depression. The fact that works so rapidly (within 24 hours) makes it that much more attractive as depression treatment, especially in suicidal cases. Even more stunningly, the relief from depression lasted at least 30 days after the single infusion of the steroid. This synthetic steroid now has the potential to dwarf the sales of SSRI drugs that are falling (slowly) our of favor, take up to 4 weeks to produce effects, actually increase risk of suicide, and do not work on 40%-60% of the patients taking them.
While the approval is specifically for post-partum depression, this allows any doctor to prescribe it semi-off-label for depression due to any cause. This is both good and bad news. The good news is that pharma companies and FDA are finally starting to change science in a positive direction. The bad news is that now allopregnanolone is a prescription drug and its precursors like 5a-DHP, progesterone and even pregnenolone may become target for FDA to withdraw from market as effective precursors to the now-prescription drug allopregnanolone. All 3 have been shown to reliably increase allopregnanolone levels in the brain and the last two have decent evidence from human studies too.

‘Transformative’: FDA approves first drug for postpartum depression
"...But on Tuesday, the Food and Drug Administration approved the first drug specifically developed for postpartum depression, called brexanolone, or Zulresso. Brexanolone is novel because it has a synthetic form of the hormone allopregnanolone, a progesterone derivative, in it. The hormone increases throughout a woman’s pregnancy and then plummets after she gives birth, a possible contributor to postpartum depression."

"...In double-blind, placebo-controlled trials, many women with moderate to severe postpartum depression saw a marked improvement of their symptoms within just 24 hours of receiving the drug. That improvement was still present 30 days after the infusion, the length of the trial. “This is for postpartum depression, but it is a step in understanding how we treat depression more broadly,” said Dr. Samantha Meltzer-Brody, director of the perinatal psychiatry program at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and the academic principal investigator in the brexanolone trials. “We have had the same treatments for depression for 30 years. There’s an enormous need for new, novel ways to treat depression, and to treat it quickly.”

This study seemed to show that small doses of ssri raised Allo before it even began affecting serotonergic function. They also co administered PCPa with them and still showed similar effect, more or less ruling serotonin out as the therapeutic factor. This study is so interesting I keep it book marked on my phone to show people at parties :happy::happy::happy:

SSRIs act as selective brain steroidogenic stimulants (SBSSs) at low doses that are inactive on 5-HT reuptake

boris

I'm irritable, not acting civil, angry, zero patience, no interest or pleasure in anything altho I know alot of people are against increasing seratonin on this sight it is related to patience and being content which I have zero of. Seeing how the limbic area of my brain is out of control seratonin would be the chemical to calm down those regions.

Did you read Peat's articles on serotonin?

Serotonin, depression, and aggression - The problem of brain energy.
Serotonin: Effects in disease, aging and inflammation

OP
T

troubledtimes

It started as a kid I was always a worrier. Nothing tramatic happened. When I got in my 20s the anxiety became horrible with intrusive thoughts and worry and depression. I took an ssri and it helped alot. Been on it for 10 years now but clearly it's not helping anymore. I've avoid grains and dairy. I have had my thyroids checked. T3,t4 and tag all were fine but in this sick world who knows how accurate those tests are. Maybing trying t3 pills would help me. I appreciate the replys. My blood sugar levels say I'm ok I do make sure to eat frequently throughout the day. The cypro and reducing seratonin is something I want to try can someone recommend a good cypro on Amazon? My brain is a mess I can barley type this. I am still taking an ssri yes and I have tried to come off it but I feel about worse when I do. I am open to the fact that SSRIs can be a huge problem. The past month I've reduced my effexor from 150 down to 75mg and I can't say it's helping. I can barley function and write this I wish I could relax for one second and read up on the info on this site about SSRIs. I am intrigued by this cpro suppliment and that the SSRIs is not from seratonin but from allopregnalome... I have also thought that the antidepressant effects of SSRIs come from the neurogenesis and rebuilding of the hippocampus and rebuilding of synapses and dendrites. That was one theory why they take up to six weeks to work. But maybe allopregnalome does this? That and t3 is very intruiging I just have zero clue on how or what to do because my doctor will probably not do anything but day try another ssri!!

lampofred

Good quality vitamin A (not carotene) and vitamin D and thyroid. High calcium and salt and protein but not too much water (so cheese would probably be better than milk). Red light and methylene blue. I use healthnatura and idealabs to buy supps.

Vitamin E and K would be helpful too (so all fat solubles). RP recommendation of fruits and milk might not be ideal right now (too much water). Starch is a lot more calming (as long as you control endotoxin with raw carrots, cooked mushrooms, or bamboo shoots).

rebuke

Sounds like me before peating. I had to quit weed, you will too. You have an excess of serotonin, wèed is a contributing factor. Cypro knocked me out of the serotonin dominant state within 10mins of my first dose. If not sooner. Probably took 5 drops which is on the high side but necessary. It takes a long time to enter such a state of learned helpless that you need a pharmacetuical strength drug to stop the stress cycle. Redlight, even from a strong incandesent bulb is urgently needed. And up your calories with milk. Thats all you can do right now I think.

Ableton

Sounds like me before peating. I had to quit weed, you will too. You have an excess of serotonin, wèed is a contributing factor. Cypro knocked me out of the serotonin dominant state within 10mins of my first dose. If not sooner. Probably took 5 drops which is on the high side but necessary. It takes a long time to enter such a state of learned helpless that you need a pharmacetuical strength drug to stop the stress cycle. Redlight, even from a strong incandesent bulb is urgently needed. And up your calories with milk. Thats all you can do right now I think.
can you describe the feeling? I tried cypro too, and all it did was fix my gut, make me tired and extremely unmotivated (which I still am, my main problem, but on cypro it was worse)

R J

Do not start and stop cypro with Ssri. Saw case report of serotonin syndrome from that combo then removing the cypro

R J

can you describe the feeling? I tried cypro too, and all it did was fix my gut, make me tired and extremely unmotivated (which I still am, my main problem, but on cypro it was worse)

The tired feeling and slight depression went away after a week on it. I take 1mg a night now and my stress resilience is higher. It seems pretty sustainable

postman

Good quality vitamin A (not carotene) and vitamin D and thyroid. High calcium and salt and protein but not too much water (so cheese would probably be better than milk). Red light and methylene blue. I use healthnatura and idealabs to buy supps.

Vitamin E and K would be helpful too (so all fat solubles). RP recommendation of fruits and milk might not be ideal right now (too much water). Starch is a lot more calming (as long as you control endotoxin with raw carrots, cooked mushrooms, or bamboo shoots).
I would say the opposite, these symptoms could be caused by hypervitaminosis A.

Jasjeet

Try drinking A LOT more water (8-10 glasses a day, with at least 1/2 tsp salt over the course of the day)....your brain is 85% water....

Inaut

@troubledtimes all I can say is I’ve been in your exact position.... It’s not easy but keep trying. Over time you will overcome it. Also, if you have a faith in God, start doing some prayers.

Even a supplement like d limonene or orange oil might be able to help you get over the hump.

May God bless and heal you.