Dont Get It: Serotonin Deficiency = Depression Now?

DaveFoster

So, if you avoid an aggressive mouse, that's depression? Apparently serotonin makes you engage in anti-social behavior if anything.

lindsay

So, if you avoid an aggressive mouse, that's depression? Apparently serotonin makes you engage in anti-social behavior if anything.

Ha! Good point :):

Logically speaking, I think that there is definitely a biological role and function of serotonin. But something like 95% of it is produced in the gut. It doesn't seem like they were accounting for gut-serotonin in this study, or else they did not say. It could be more interesting if they mentioned measuring serotonin levels in the gut, but I'm guessing they did not do that. If stressors were high, I would imagine high levels in the gut, which might not manifest in the brain. But this is just a guess.

It's all the starchs' fault. The little mousy doesn't know how to boil starch so it's not its natural diet. So of course the little mousy chow isn't good for it. It's supposed to eat bugs. That's why it had high serotonin from the raw starch granules. The only species to eat boiled starch is a species called "homo sapien." They came out of the African tropics about 100k-250k years ago. Scientists believe that they were the smartest species ever because some of them were really smart like ones that were given the names Einstein and Newton. Mice have yet to produce an Einstein. Maybe one day. I don't think mice studies are that great to compare to homo sapien studies. They just don't have the amylase and cooking methods.