Don't Forget To Supplement Tryptophan If You Take Gelatin

johnwester130

From an amazon review

READ THE LABEL CAREFULLY!October 19, 2018
Package Type: Frustration-Free PackagingVerified Purchase
I did not read the label much past the ingredients and to find out that this product does indeed have in it the lysine and glycine advertised. I saw that it also had other amino acids, but I did not catch on to the fact that it has ZERO mgs of tryptophan. Tryptophan is an essential amino acid; the body cannot make it; it must be obtained through the diet. So, while my hunger was satisfied, and my skin and cartilage growing stronger and more elastic, during the time that I had one serving of this in my morning hot drink, and one serving of this in my lunchtime soup; my body began to show signs of tryptophan deficiency, since I was only having one tryptophan-bearing meal a day at suppertime. I was able to remedy this deficiency quickly by adding tryptophan and niacinamide tablets to restore the balance. But it would have been better to have properly informed myself in the first place, and to have made sure of a food or supplement source of tryptophan from the beginning. Everyone is different, and it may be that my body was made with a higher need for tryptophan than another’s body might have, but it is worth paying some attention when making a significant change in ones dietary patterns.

Otherwise, I am very pleased with this product. My skin and joints are happier. The product dissolves quite well, and lends a silkiness to the drinks and soups to which I add it. It is virtually tasteless, but it does rather flatten the taste of whatever one stirs it into, so I make the hot drink a little stronger, and I add lemon, chili, or other zingy flavors to the soups, to compensate for the flattening. It smells like gelatin, so I don’t add it to juices, because it reminds me too much of school-lunch Jello from my childhood. I like knowing that the product is made with care from high-quality ingredients.

Cirion

Why would you supplement tryptophan...?

It's impossible to not have enough tryptophan unless you actively avoid all sources of protein besides gelatin... Milk and meat are both pretty high in tryptophan...

I don't believe RP said you need more than around 30% or so protein from gelatin.

Waremu

Yeah, no need to take actual tryptophan alone, if that’s what you mean. But then again, it may have its place in experimental cases, etc.

But anyway, yes, you want to make sure you’re getting enough high quality protein from animal sources to make sure you have enough of the important amino acids, like tryptophan

I remember when I was new to Peat and experimented with gelatin being half if not more of my protein intake and I utterly crashed and learned pretty quick that balance was key.

But it is great when balanced properly with the other amino acids which may be problematic in larger amounts when there isn’t enough glycine. I even notice that eating egg whites used to cause major serotonin issues for me, but if I balance it with gelatin (and enough OJ), I can easily eat a decent amount of egg whites with it with no issues whatsoever. It completely obliterates the serotonin effects I used to get from eating them alone. I think it’s essential, especially when protein intake is high for those who eat more protein for athletic/sports reasons.

Last edited:

RobertJM

Every time you eat carbs tryptophan is dominating and gets free entry to the brain, and serotonin synthesis starts.

The only people that need it are children that are growing.