Don't Forget The Zinc

natedawggh

I have had a terrible time sleeping the last two nights, and it had me really flustered because my sleep, generally, has been pretty amazing for the last six months (but by no means perfect). Some other products made by haidut had also increased my quality of sleep, but I also had this same kind of immediate sleep maintenance insomnia a few days prior to taking these products. I kept trying my usual tricks—ice cream, salt, niacinamide—nothing worked. But then I realized I hadn't taken zinc in a very long time. Within about five minutes of taking 30mg of zinc, I felt my body warm up, and was asleep within probably twenty minutes.

So I get on RPF today to read about zinc and come across this post, by me, in 2013, and wonder how I keep forgetting to take zinc, when it so clearly helps my own symptoms to a great extent? Zinc Neutralizes PUFAs (polyunsaturated Fats) In Vivo, Is Necessary For Weight Loss And Liver Lipid

I also suspect that some of these new products from @haidut would probably require some extra of the raw materials the body uses to synthesize the healthful hormones?

But a more serious inquiry I have is what reason I would apparently not be getting enough zinc through my diet, which consists of a great quantity of diverse calories, when I've experienced such a profound increase in my health generally. I should be getting enough zinc but apparently I need to supplement extra. Any insight why I would still be needing to supplement?

Tarmander

I take zinc every night before I sleep. I have tried to get off it, but my sleep really suffers when I do. Multiple wake ups, etc.

AJC

Based on my readings, tissue copper in excess is an antagonist of zinc. Copper excess is common in many people and usually goes hand in hand with an estrogen excess. Zinc and copper have an antagonistic relationship, meaning that extra zinc can help detox copper and neutralize some of its ill effects. Copper is a notoriously difficult metal to detoxify and I think this could be part of the reason why so many people here who have made great leaps and strides in health still struggle with "estrogen dominant" symptoms...perhaps excess copper in our bodies could leave our zinc requirements higher than what they would be otherwise...

Area-1255

Based on my readings, tissue copper in excess is an antagonist of zinc. Copper excess is common in many people and usually goes hand in hand with an estrogen excess. Zinc and copper have an antagonistic relationship, meaning that extra zinc can help detox copper and neutralize some of its ill effects. Copper is a notoriously difficult metal to detoxify and I think this could be part of the reason why so many people here who have made great leaps and strides in health still struggle with "estrogen dominant" symptoms...perhaps excess copper in our bodies could leave our zinc requirements higher than what they would be otherwise...
Mostly because Copper is in tap water these days in excess. It accumulates without people knowing it simply because they trust their local water supply.

AJC

Mostly because Copper is in tap water these days in excess. It accumulates without people knowing it simply because they trust their local water supply.

Yeah that and birth control pills...because its passed through the placenta to the fetus.

Area-1255

Yeah that and birth control pills...because its passed through the placenta to the fetus.
Copper and Zinc are polar opposites, even in Chemistry. Their overall brain/body actions are also very different. You can use high-dose Vitamin C and some Manganese (not Magnesium) to help rid Copper.

FredSonoma

zinc paired with an amino acid, such as zinc glycinate. Attached to amino acids it is better absorbed. Oysters are the best source. Yum.
Okay thanks! Something about oysters tastes awful to me... not sure if it's iron or some other metal, but it's a metallic taste in it that I just absolutely hate. I love beef though and could probably eat 2 lbs. a day if I let myself. I guess I probably should lol

Edit: Also, with no evidence to base this, I suspect that cilantro might actually reduce zinc levels too. It seemed to be great for chelating iron but when I started to over-do it I actually started to feel like my zinc levels were lower. Could be completely unrelated though who knows.

Last edited:

BobbyDukes

Zinc is an NMDA antagonist (like magnesium), so that might explain its calming effects. It's not as strong as a memantine (cognitive side effects), or as brutal as ketamine (k hole).

But the sedative effects for zinc, are significant enough. Plus it calms a copper (stimulated) dominant body.

docall18

I started on P5P B6 a year back. I felt great on it but couldnt sleep. I tried everything you can think of, eventually found that only zinc picolinate could fix the insomnia.

Interesting to note that symptoms from an EFA/PUFA deficiency are usually caused by a Zinc or B6 deficiency. So those of us following a Peat diet may need to supplement these..

DesertRat

Docall18, what is an EFA/PUFA deficiency? Have never heard of this in a Peat group before.

FitnessMike

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
This post is bang on. And the common diet suggested around here will lead many to copper toxicity causing much suffering that does not need to happen.

Peater

There's just as many posts about copper deficiency. I don't like this idea of one side of the pair being "bad". I just aim for a decent amount of both, that does include a liquid zinc supplement.