Don't feel full without starches

OP
S

StrongMom

Xisca said:
StressedMom said:
It is true that I am very adapted to eating starches. Are you saying that without eating starches, feeling of "fullness" is different? It is just scaring me as I have a lot sleep issues. I feel that I sleep better after a meal with a lot of starch.

I feel that it is different, yes! If you are used to a type of fullness, then the other fullness does not feel the same. I feel starches as heavier in the stomach.
I was constipated only once, when starting Peat and eating more cheese and less veggies! And less fat.
With veggies and fat, I think it helps a lot. Fats really makes a difference.
I agree with salt, I have to think about it when I eat bananas for example.

This "fullness" feeling is something I have been contemplating for a while. Even with a non-Peat style diet, I had trouble feeling full or the fullness feeling used to come a few hours later. When we sat for a meal, I usually ate more than my husband. And just to let you know my husband has a big appetite, is overweight, and as far as I see does not have low metabolism. Well, this is not just with my husband. I usually eat more than other people eat at meals. My mom says I used to ask "what does being full mean" when I was a kid. I guess even as a child I guess I had an issue with that. I am not sure what that is, maybe a slow digestion issue? Any idea?

OP
S

StrongMom

Xisca said:
Hi, just want to let you know some hope, because I am off starches for a long time. But I did not cut them quick. Quick is counter productive. I have been told often that "slow is fast"!
Before knowing Peat, I did it by increasing fats. Also with big nice salads with home made mayonaise (without PUFA...). Emulsified fats digest easier and are filling.

Have you tried to eat a lot of fruits?

Also, Peat says that you can eat potatoes if they are cooked 3/4 hour, and then put some butter. That can be a good starch for you? The 1st starches I cut were gluten grains. I felt like living again!

"Emulsified fats digest easier" Can you please explain that a bit? This is something I have no knowledge about. What makes them easy to digest? What are other emulsified fats?

I would keep on the digestion issues - those can be a root cause of other things, so it is hard to know until you have regular bowel movements. Eating more could suggest parasites, but nothing else you have said suggests that... Digestion issues can take a while to figure out - a lot of systems have to be working well for digestion to be great, but I think it is worth it for the overall effect.

YuraCZ

I'm really ok with Peat diet approach except one thing. I don't have access to good quality tropical fruits and because I'm on the tight budget. I really don't plan to eliminate potatoes from the diet. Just because they are not "optimal" food source. They are rich in nutrients so cheap and a same time PUFA,gluten etc. free. Such a perfect food.. They are great dish with eggs, milk and liver. How can anyone eat eggs with fruits or liver with fruits. I don't know, so unappetizing for me.. I also need some non sweet meals, salty. That is impossible with fruits as only carb source.. Finally potatoes are great source of fiber and without fiber I simply can't make poop and I really don't want to use laxatives for rest of my life even if its natural laxative(cascara etc..) ;)

tara

StressedMom said:
I agree Tara. I have been working on improving my diet, maybe not ideally, but I am trying to change as much as I can do. But how long do you think it would take for me to see some results? What kind of changes should I observe first? My pulse or temperature? Ideally, an improvement in sleep would be good. What are your experiences?
Can't say I've solved my problems, but I seldom have insomnia these days - just sometimes have trouble going to bed and turning out the light at a good time. My key issue is migraines, and they are just as frequent as before. However, i spend a lot less time feeling acutely stressed and/or desperately hungry and/or unable to sleep and/or with stressed out breathing. I increased my food intake sytematically after reading youreatopia, and learning that my previous ideas about quantities of food were out of step with reality. This last year I've been on a serious mission to avoid hunger stress, and mostly I've done better with that than ever before in my life. I've gained fat and overall weight, but decided to stick with it anyway, in case there was a component of chronic mild undereating that was contributing to chronic stress - my hunch is this may have been part of what has undermined my health. Weight gain stopped a few months ago, without any deliberate restriction. There are others here who would say it's important to avoid fat gain, because fat tends to be estrogenic, but I'm not sure that those of us who have been chronic undereaters can all recover our other organs without also getting some fat gain along the way. I've used progest-e for a year and a half, and the only thyroid supplement I've tried so far is a little chicken neck stock daily, which I continue to do and think it helps. Here's my rambling thread, in need of an update. viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3503

I don't know how long you should give food a chance before resorting to supplements. How long it would take to notice an improvement probably depends on how well designed your diet is for your particular needs - and pat of that is trial and error, guided by whatever you can learn that seems relevant. I think if you really get it tuned in, you should notice some improvements within a few days. There are a lot of variations one can try with diet. I think improved sleep would be a really good indicator, along with temps; I think Peat has said that pulse often lags begind temps.

tara

I haven't given up starches, potatoes, or other vegetables either, but I eat a lot less of them than I used to. If they help you sleep, that's worth a lot.

Xisca

StressedMom said:
"Emulsified fats digest easier" Can you please explain that a bit? This is something I have no knowledge about. What makes them easy to digest? What are other emulsified fats?

My knowledge is little, well, not very academis/scientific: just that bile emulsifies fats so that we can digest and absorb them. So I guessed that if the fat is already an emultion, better!

An emultion is a chimical form that allows a real mix of oil and water solutions. Unlike the vinaigrette that shows the oil floating on top!

Milk is an emultion when it "comes out", and fat separate afterward. That is why they homogenise milk I guess!

A nut does not show any oil, pressing is the way to destroy the emultion.

I do digest better mayonaise than a sauce showing oil. I do digest better almonds than almond butter (And I never thought any good about peanut butter!!!) . This an example, as almonds or tahini are full of pufa anyway...

As it is good to use our bile, I think that having some oil like olive is not bad. A mayonaise form can just help to eat it in another way, and egg yolk is also a good food.

OP
S

StrongMom

Thanks Xisca. This is something I had no idea about. I guess I am a bit puzzled with the role fats play anyway. I will try to incorporate them in emulsified forms.

OP
S

StrongMom

tara said:
StressedMom said:
I agree Tara. I have been working on improving my diet, maybe not ideally, but I am trying to change as much as I can do. But how long do you think it would take for me to see some results? What kind of changes should I observe first? My pulse or temperature? Ideally, an improvement in sleep would be good. What are your experiences?
Can't say I've solved my problems, but I seldom have insomnia these days - just sometimes have trouble going to bed and turning out the light at a good time. My key issue is migraines, and they are just as frequent as before. However, i spend a lot less time feeling acutely stressed and/or desperately hungry and/or unable to sleep and/or with stressed out breathing. I increased my food intake sytematically after reading youreatopia, and learning that my previous ideas about quantities of food were out of step with reality. This last year I've been on a serious mission to avoid hunger stress, and mostly I've done better with that than ever before in my life. I've gained fat and overall weight, but decided to stick with it anyway, in case there was a component of chronic mild undereating that was contributing to chronic stress - my hunch is this may have been part of what has undermined my health. Weight gain stopped a few months ago, without any deliberate restriction. There are others here who would say it's important to avoid fat gain, because fat tends to be estrogenic, but I'm not sure that those of us who have been chronic undereaters can all recover our other organs without also getting some fat gain along the way. I've used progest-e for a year and a half, and the only thyroid supplement I've tried so far is a little chicken neck stock daily, which I continue to do and think it helps. Here's my rambling thread, in need of an update. viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3503

I don't know how long you should give food a chance before resorting to supplements. How long it would take to notice an improvement probably depends on how well designed your diet is for your particular needs - and pat of that is trial and error, guided by whatever you can learn that seems relevant. I think if you really get it tuned in, you should notice some improvements within a few days. There are a lot of variations one can try with diet. I think improved sleep would be a really good indicator, along with temps; I think Peat has said that pulse often lags begind temps.

Thanks Tara. I have been reading your posts. I see a lot of similarities, well differences too. I have never suffered from migraines. I have suffered from insomnia, anxiety, depression, pcos, constipation, and a few other issues. I, too, think that I am genetically inclined to have some of those problems as some of my family members suffer from related stuff.

In the last two weeks or so, I significantly reduced my starch intake; not totally eliminated though. it is really hard. I also increased my calorie intake as I ate more fat and sugar to compensate I guess. Besides, as YuraCZ says, eating eggs without starch but with fruit is really unappetizing. And i tend to believe that my body signals something with that. I don't know what that is but the fact that my body prefers salty food with eggs rather than sugar should have some information.

tara

Hi SM,
I think it seems quite reasonable to allow your appetites to have a say about what you eat, and to take it slowly as you make changes - I think that makes it easier to notice your own preferences, too. Peat has also expressed approval of eating as much salt with our food as tastes good to us. I've got into the habit of putting a lot of salt on my morning egg, and drinking orange juice with or before it, and really enjoy it that way, but I can enjoy it eggs with rice or toast too (I don't eat toast very often, though). I really enjoy my morning liver several times a week, with loads of salt on it, too, accompanied by sth sweet.

gretchen

You could be leptin resistant. No one needs starches; they suck. You only need calories to feel full. Eat a good breakfast, more than you think you should and your hunger will resolve.

XPlus

I think we share that same addiction to starch.
I find enough sugar, especially when in a dairy-based dessert more satisfying than starches.
Good fruits and fruit juices could be effective, too.
Chugging down some Coke helps me process starchy meals but then I drink some milk to balance out the extra acidity and phosphorus.

OP
S

StrongMom

Xisca said:
StressedMom said:

My knowledge is little, well, not very academis/scientific: just that bile emulsifies fats so that we can digest and absorb them. So I guessed that if the fat is already an emultion, better!

An emultion is a chimical form that allows a real mix of oil and water solutions. Unlike the vinaigrette that shows the oil floating on top!

Milk is an emultion when it "comes out", and fat separate afterward. That is why they homogenise milk I guess!

A nut does not show any oil, pressing is the way to destroy the emultion.

I do digest better mayonaise than a sauce showing oil. I do digest better almonds than almond butter (And I never thought any good about peanut butter!!!) . This an example, as almonds or tahini are full of pufa anyway...

As it is good to use our bile, I think that having some oil like olive is not bad. A mayonaise form can just help to eat it in another way, and egg yolk is also a good food.

Thanks Xisca. Basically, you are saying that anything unprocessed is more emulsified and hence better digested. Right?

Xisca

Well, not every thing but fats. Take into account that seeds that are in this category are anyway mostly pufa... I would rather eat them whole than in an oil form (=naturally emulsified versus separated oil).
I can digest more olive oil if it is made into mayonnaise.
A mayo re-emulsifie the oil!

I do not know if this is true for milk. It might be that raw milk just milked is still emulsified, and then fat separates.

Remember that I told you this because you mention that you do not feel full. Fats help to feel full, but fats are not so easy to digest. That is why I found a solution to eat more safe fats. I have even done mayonnaise with coconut oil! I mix it with ripe bananas and cocoa powder, to make a natural cream...

For sugar, I eat a lot of fruits, and I feel more full if I eat some coconut oil or ghee too.
Also eggs.
If you do not like sweet taste with eggs, eat them separately.
Go slow and focus on what you add to your diet, more than what you want to remove!
We tend to miss more what we force ourselves to drop...

OP
S

StrongMom

Tom said:
StressedMom said:
I am suffering from heartburn in the last year or so. My guess is I have some digestion issues. Do you think it would be easy to digest emulsified fats even with poor digestion?

Maybe you have an H Pylori infection or something, otherwise I´ve found beets and egg yolks very helpful. Vinegar (acetic acid) seems to be strongly anti-microbial, maybe also coconut oil. For a lot of people the heartburn just disappears by adding a tablespoon or two per day of vinegar (see http://www.earthclinic.com/acid-reflux/ ... negar.html where 274 persons experienced positive effect of this, and only 18 persons negative effect). The simple sugars in orange juice can be a problem initially as well (maybe whole fruit is better). Could be it is best to start out with more starches, not grains but potatoes and tubers, and then gradually replace them with fruits and orange juice. There´s no need to rush things.

Yes Tom, you were right! I had an endoscopy and tested positive for H Pylori. I took the antibiotics the doctor gave me for two weeks. But I still have a lot of pain. When I eat salads I always add some ACV but otherwise has not tried it rigorously. I will give it a try. The other thing I don't understand is why simple sugars are bad when you have reflux. Can you elaborate a little bit please?