Donating Blood, Whilst Taking T3

On the form in the blood donor clinic they ask you if your on any meds.
I take t3 and tyromax.
I have high iron loading and it's important for me to sort that out with blood donation.
If I tell them I take that stuff in the clinic I know they won't let me donate.

See my dilemma? I've gotta lie because they don't know ***t about this stuff and that there is no risk in a blood recipient receiving a little thyroid, in fact it will do them good.

Am I being dangerously selfish here. Is there a risk? Or will this white lie potentially harm somebody?

Any t3 taking blood donors here?
Anybody think I'm a total bastard?

tankasnowgod

I don't think this is a big deal. In fact, I'm not even sure if they would defer you. I've never seen thyroid listed on official blood donor deferral lists. Some donation centers ask questions in addition to the mandated questions. If they are asking if you are on ANY meds, that sounds like a center specific question, or maybe a question mandated by your state (they do have to ask about meds on the deferral list). You could always try donating at a different center, there's a good chance you wouldn't even get asked that question.

I have donated many pints of blood over the past few years, and have been taking some sort of thyroid (NDT and/or T3) the entire time. Not once have I seen it mentioned in any of the pre-donation materials or questions.

Here is the medication deferral list from the Mayo clinic, and it includes the reasons for deferral. Aspirin can also be a 2-3 day deferral (clotting concerns), but I think that only applies to plasma, not whole blood donations- http://www.mayoclinic.org/documents/mc1402-50-pdf/doc-20228419

EDIT- Synthroid is one of the 10 most prescribed drugs in the US, and NDT is one of the oldest. If thyroid medication caused negative effects to donors or recipients, you can be sure that donor centers would be aware of it, and it would be on the deferral list.

Last edited:
OP
Benjamin Button
I feel less guilty now. I already donated, I just said nothing about it.
I know d roddy takes t3 and I know he donates. I'm guessing he didn't stop t3 just to give blood.

Just wanted to know what you guys were doing in relation to this issue. Thanks for feedback.

They will probably throw away your platelets if you've been taking aspirin in the past week.

Lin

I have asked them (American Red Cross), if it was okay to donate, since I was taking thyroid. They said it was okay.
Don't worry. You helped, probably three, people who need blood!
And yourself, getting rid of extra iron! Win-Win! :rockout

blob69

Same here, when I donated I told the doctor who examined me that I take T3 and they didn't mind at all.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
The place I donate has a list of drugs that will disqualify a person from donating and thyroid has never been on the list.

Lin

The American Red Cross has a new question on the donation questionnaire . "Do you take research chemicals?" :tinfoilhat

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals