Dismiss Notice
  7. Orange & Red Light Therapy Device - LGS1
    CLICK HERE!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Cascara Sagrada Powder From Farmalabor In Italy
    CLICK HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Donating Blood Effects

Discussion in 'Heart, Heart Rate, Blood Pressure' started by m_arch, Sep 6, 2017.

1. m_arch

m_arch Member

Has anyone noticed changes in their physiology after donating blood? Faster heart rate?

2. JackHanma

JackHanma Member

I do it to lower iron. I notice a big craving for sugary foods. I noticed an overall better feeling and increased cardiovascular output everytime.

3. churchmouth

churchmouth Member

I donated today to lower my rising serum ferritin, transferrin saturation (OK i dont know if this will help).

Ate lots of foods and fresh squeezed orange juice - my pulse and temp are rocking! Literally my best temperatures ever.

4. tankasnowgod

tankasnowgod Member

If you mean the day of, absolutely.

You're blood pressure is gonna be significantly lower, and your pulse higher. If you measure blood sugar, it also be relatively higher than normal. Simple activities that you can normally do with ease (like going up a flight or two of stairs) will leave you winded.

Basically, you have 11 pints of liquid doing the job that is normally done by 12. So there are compensatory mechanisms that take place till the fluids are replaced (usually withing 24-48 hours).

5. tankasnowgod

tankasnowgod Member

It absolutely will. The only question is how quickly iron will be replaced. This is why some hemochormatosis patients have to do very frequent donations.

6. Dave Clark

Dave Clark Member

Has anyone used IP-6 to lower iron, and had tests to verify it's iron lowering effects? I hear and read various good and bad things, but was curious if someone here actually employs this technique successfully. The blood donations sounds good, but I could imagine the iron coming back up in a relatively short time. Women menstruate once/month, not sure I would want to donate blood once/month, or even once every three months. Would rather use something non invasive on a daily basis.

7. tankasnowgod

tankasnowgod Member

I used IP6 as a complementary strategy to blood donation, and it did seem to work well in that regard. Ferrtin dropped quicker than the I estimated from blood doantion alone (it dropped about 45-50 per donation, rather than the common estimate of 30). It's effectiveness will still vary with a number of other factors, so you'd still have to track iron numbers to know if it's effective for you.

Personally, I prefer blood donation. As far as blood donation frequency, blood donor centers won't let you donate more that once every 8 weeks, with a few exceptions.

8. Dave Clark

Dave Clark Member

Thanks. I have read that IP-6 is effective in lowering iron levels. IP-6 seems to have a lot of other good qualities, but it seems to get negative press as an anti-nutrient, claiming it binds up other minerals as well. It is possible that problem could be negligible with a good diet, or supplementation program. And the benefits, as reported in the science, may be worth using it. If I don't do blood donation, I will give IP-6 a try and see what it does for me.

9. Joeyd

Joeyd Member

10. tankasnowgod

tankasnowgod Member

I don't know about Hemocrit, but I know Hemoglobin is the only iron related number that all blood donation centers check. If it's above their minimum requirements (and other criteria), you can donate. Hemoglobin is probably the most important of all, as anemia symptoms can manifest if it drops too low, and you do not want that.

I think Ferritin is the best to gauge overall body iron stores, though TSAT (which is a calculation of TIBC and Serum Iron) is useful too.

11. Hazarlar

Hazarlar Member

I don't know much about iron dangers, so my question is --->

... if my hemoglobin is always low (12-13) (13.3 this tuesday), but I have eaten lot of red meat and and liver all my life, should I still be worried of iron accumulation etc. I often eat 300 grams of red meat a day.

12. Bobber Anderson

Bobber Anderson Member

I just gave blood for the eighth time in three years. I haven’t really ever noticed anything, tbh. If anything it leaves me feeling ever so slightly out of sorts for a few days following it.

13. Motif

Motif Member

How long till you can work out in the gym after donating?

14. Blossom

Blossom Moderator

@Motif 12-24 hours depending how you feel.

15. Motif

Motif Member

16. Blossom

Blossom Moderator

17. Motif

Motif Member

Somebody knows approximately how much ferritin is going down from donating ?