Domestic Animal Diet R&D

Zerdusht

Most mammals have generally similar metabolic structures; much of Peat's work is supported by rodent studies. Animals do have different palates and digestive abilities though, with implications (I imagine) for what they should be eating. I have noticed a few interesting things regarding my dog. She will eat honey, maple syrup, and bananas, but not most other fruits (apples, oranges, grapefruit, berries etc.) and sugar sources. At certain times of day she's picky, but is up for offal anytime. I'm curious as to how you folks approach animal nutrition, and I invite you to share your observations, findings, principles etc.

Most mammals have generally similar metabolic structures; much of Peat's work is supported by rodent studies. Animals do have different palates and digestive abilities though, with implications (I imagine) for what they should be eating. I have noticed a few interesting things regarding my dog. She will eat honey, maple syrup, and bananas, but not most other fruits (apples, oranges, grapefruit, berries etc.) and sugar sources. At certain times of day she's picky, but is up for offal anytime. I'm curious as to how you folks approach animal nutrition, and I invite you to share your observations, findings, principles etc.
My dog loves the Ray Peat carrot salad! She will eat watermelon and zucchini, but yeah not much else in the way of fruit. She especially likes when I cook up a batch of fresh grass fed stew meat or ground lamb with bone broth and add in some shredded white carrot.

For lunch just now I gave my little girl some raw milk with a teaspoon of Brewer's yeast and she lapped it right up :)

Here is my girl! She will be 13 in October :)

Attachments

• 20210618_140401.jpg
    20210618_140401.jpg
    755.3 KB · Views: 15
B

Blaze

Here is my girl! She will be 13 in October :)
Sweet girl. Precious. I love dogs.

My dogs love apples and cherries and peaches and will steal grapes off the coffee table if I'm not paying attention. Grapes are totally bad for dogs and can damage their kidneys. So, we cannot count on their animal food instincts alone to avoid harm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet girl. Precious. I love dogs.

My dogs love apples and cherries and peaches and will steal grapes off the coffee table if I'm not paying attention. Grapes are totally bad for dogs and can damage their kidneys. So, we cannot count on their animal food instincts alone to avoid harm.
Oh grapes and macadamias. I learned about that the hard way! Mine lives on raw milk. She always threw up the pasteurized

B

Blaze

Oh grapes and macadamias. I learned about that the hard way! Mine lives on raw milk. She always threw up the pasteurized
Hard to get raw milk here in San Diego. Macadamias are dangerous for dogs? I only was aware of grapes and chocolate.

Hard to get raw milk here in San Diego. Macadamias are dangerous for dogs? I only was aware of grapes and chocolate.
Oh my yes! Macadamias paralyzed my dog for a few hours! We are lucky she didn't die. I live California too and get my Organic Pastures raw milk from Sprouts. My girlfriend who lives in Carlbad get's the same milk delivered straight from company. Use the 20% coupon always on their site to offset the high shipping cost.

B

Blaze

Oh my yes! Macadamias paralyzed my dog for a few hours! We are lucky she didn't die. I live California too and get my Organic Pastures raw milk from Sprouts. My girlfriend who lives in Carlbad get's the same milk delivered straight from company. Use the 20% coupon always on their site to offset the high shipping cost.

I've seen that in our sprouts. I just assumed they were bending the meaning of raw and that it was minimally processed. Now that I see it is really raw milk, I'll give it a try. Thanks for the heads up.

I've seen that in our sprouts. I just assumed they were bending the meaning of raw and that it was minimally processed. Now that I see it is really raw milk, I'll give it a try. Thanks for the heads up.
You will love it!

My dad lives in Fountain Valley and they don't sell it in his Sprouts. They have to go to a Sprouts over the county line to buy it.

B

Blaze

My dad lives in Fountain Valley and they don't sell it in his Sprouts. They have to go to a Sprouts over the county line to buy it.
Sucks he has to do that. Ridiculous the level of interference and lack of freedom in our food supply. And the things they should regulate like labeling our food so you clearly know what's in it and where it comes from are ignored because our politicians are in some companies pocket via lobbing/money. So disappointing.

Sucks he has to do that. Ridiculous the level of interference and lack of freedom in our food supply. And the things they should regulate like labeling our food so you clearly know what's in it and where it comes from are ignored because our politicians are in some companies pocket via lobbing/money. So disappointing.
It is so backwards isn't it? ?

Last edited:

SOMO

My dog's diet (naturally chosen by him)

1. Liver
2. Grain-free kibble
3. Cheese (prefers harder cheese to soft cheeses and he has to be in the mood)
3. Water
4. Milk (instead of water in his bowl)
5. Cheesecake
6. Mango rarely
7. White sugar (licks it off my finger, sometimes I put it in his drinking water if he exercised a lot)
8. Vanilla Ice Cream
9. The only vegetable he likes are green string beans.

I always let my dog pick what he eats and he is an extremely PICKY eater. I found it astounding that Snoopy eats an "RP Diet" naturally.

Snoopy is both larger and more muscular than all other German Shepherds I see of his age. He's quite a healthy and hearty dog and I envy his fitness and his biceps. Although he was born with one of his testicles inside his body he shows no hormonal abormalities. His T seems high and he is quite friendly and lacks aggression, even when other dogs bully him. He has a few loyal friends in the dog park and is able to differentiate between the dogs he can "wrestle" with and the ones he can't because he is too large.

Knowing everything we know about diet affecting hormones, I wonder how many aggressive dogs could improve by switching up their diet and perhaps reducing Tryptophan in the canine's diet.

Attachments

• F086A3DB-0EFE-49F2-B4E0-65942E8F3E09.jpeg
    F086A3DB-0EFE-49F2-B4E0-65942E8F3E09.jpeg
    548.6 KB · Views: 14
  • B8EEAB80-D642-4982-8FE6-BD0CC00CFD4F.jpeg
    B8EEAB80-D642-4982-8FE6-BD0CC00CFD4F.jpeg
    596.8 KB · Views: 14
  • EF115081-29E4-455F-AFDE-E92707887082.jpeg
    EF115081-29E4-455F-AFDE-E92707887082.jpeg
    412.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

SOMO

I would highly recommend raw milk whenever/wherever you can get it. In NYC there's basically 1 company that sells raw milk directly to your door, but It's quite expensive, I think 1 gallon of the highest fat milk is $11/gallon vs. $4.00 gallon for grocery store milk. I've definitely spent almost $200 on 1 delivery of milk from them before, but order only a few times a year because I can't afford it all year round unfortunately.

Even supposedly "free" farmers markets in NYC don't sell raw milk, only pasteurized/unhomogenized. NYC is very far behind the rest of the state and other states because of a heavy gov't presence here.

boris

Knowing everything we know about diet affecting hormones, I wonder how many aggressive dogs could improve by switching up their diet and perhaps reducing Tryptophan in the canine's diet.

I was thinking about that recently. I know someone who got their dog "put to sleep" because of aggression that no amount of dog training could solve. He was fed meat and pasta.