Dom from Maine: why I'm here [24,M]

Chaga

Hey guys, name's Dominic, 24 male living in Maine, USA. wanted to introduce myself and possibly get some thread suggestions based on the reasons that led me to this forum.

I'm guessing like many newcomers these days I found out about Ray Peat through Danny Roddy.

It's vain to think everyone's going to read all of this post, and I don't, but for those who do read it I'm extremely grateful. Any advice is accepted graciously.

I'm going to give you a very quick rough sketch of me because I think a lot of guys my age on this forum can resonate with it, and hopefully point me in the right direction.

For about a year I've noticed diffuse thinning in the typical MPB region. Devastating for a single guy.

Both sides of my family have thyroid issues and my mom's side has heart issues. My dad's dad was balding at 16. Besides that we are a very healthy bunch, dad’s dad just built a deck in his 80s, though both my mom's parents are dead.

When I was going through puberty I experienced painful urination which my doctors couldn't figure out. I was so embarrassed about the whole thing I eventually stopped mentioning it after they came to the conclusion my urethra opening was too small. The minor surgery that followed didn’t help it but it did end up going away, I don't remember what age. I suspect now that it's related to my prostate or the stress I was experiencing at the time, but I'm not sure. As I sit here there is a subtle awareness in my prostate.

I was an extremely curious, hyperactive, and intensely sensitive kid-- loved art, science, philosophy and cracking jokes in class. I did well in school but had a high school teacher mom who was able to buffer the debilitating effects of public school education and act kind of like my manager.

Middle school and high school were extremely stressful for me socially. I was outwardly outgoing, well-liked and was able to move between cliques of friends but never found a calm place to hang my hat so to speak, always felt on the outside.

College wasn't much easier and I'm still going part-time at a local state school while working part time as a pharm tech at an independent compounding pharmacy/supplement shop. My current major is Human Bio, moving from Studio Art, to English, to Neuroscience. I moved back in with my dad and stuck with biology at my new school.

I used opiates to calm the hot intensity of social and academic life from ages 16 - 20, but knew it wasn't a long term solution to fulfill my passions so I jumped ship to marijuana. I still use cannabis to this day but have stopped and started many times over the last 5 years. I'm currently not smoking, just using edibles at night.

At 19 I had minor surgery on my wrist, opted for an axillary block and my left arm has never been the same. I worked at a beer and wine distributor for 4 years during the summer months, and still have aching/inflammation on the left side of my body. I’m currently seeing a chiropractor, whose peeling back the layers of damage so to speak.

I'd like to get my metabolism in balance, stop my inflammation, reverse my thinning hair, quit using pot and move out of my dad's house to fulfill myself and reconcile the time I've spent spinning my tires.

Thank you so much for reading, its tough putting myself out there like that. Links to any especially-relevant or -good posts is greatly appreciated!

A

Anonymous

Hey I skimmed your post and your story sounds very similar to mine. I'm 25 male from New York. I was addicted to weed, very sensitive growing up, emotional issues, etc. I've been around this community since I was about 22. I'm gonna tell you what I think you can do and save you the most time possible:

-focus on reducing estrogen/serotonin- look into getting cyproheptadine, zofran, bromocriptine, etc. these hormones keep temps low
- get a thyroid glandular.- nutri pak is good. Start with a quarter tablet and increase by a quarter tablet after 3 weeks if temps don't come up and improve
-take haiduts estroban supplement for the fat soluble vitamins- these are important
- if you are sensitive to the thyroid glandular consider pregnenolone too
-always be mindful of what crap is in your food or supplements...for example carrageenan, xanthan gum, etc. these things screw up digestion
- always listen to your body...eat the peatarian foods but don't drive yourself nuts over minute details
-always pay attention to how things affect your pulse and body temp
-do things you enjoy with people you like, detach from technology as much as possible
-eat frequently
- I understand your hair is important to you but try to just not worry about it and focus on your well being and happiness
-as metabolism improves your emotional issues should gradually improve.
-read the power of now by eckhart tolle
-learn to be your own doctor through this process

OP
C

Chaga

Thanks for the response JR, I know it was a lot in one post, I wasn't sure what info would be relevant to others who could relate so I just put it all out there.

Thank you for this checklist, I work tomorrow so I'll be able to round up the supplements you've suggested (I'll build estroban from what we have on our shelves.)

I'll look into getting a heart rate monitor like a fitbit. Would you suggest an under-the-tongue thermometer for measuring body temp?

eating frequently has never been a problem for me, I'm a natural grazer. Its strange about my metabolism: I've always been able to eat absurd amounts of food, not put on any weight (chalking it up to a high metabolism) but my hands are cold 80% of the time. I'll be curious what i'll find by tracking my temp and heart rate.

that is a good book suggestion, I read it a couple of years ago and found it, and a slew of other books I came across, to be quite helpful when I did. I still (usually) meditate once a day for at least 15-20 minutes. This has also been incredibly helpful. I focused a lot on debugging/upgrading my OS so to speak from about 19 - 23yo, and in retrospect have made good headway, but its the practical that I've been neglecting, and part of that involves quitting pot, dating, and graduating college.

as far as additives go: do you have a reliable source on ones to avoid? I'm sure I could google it (I will once I finish this post) but I know there is a lot of fear-mongering out there and some clear scientific reasons would be refreshing.

Thanks again, man

marcar72

I personally wouldn't jump right to supplementing thyroid. (43 yr. old male here, still don't supplement thyroid and been Peating for over 2 years) I wouldn't jump into those other fancy supplements either. (haven't used them either)

Ray Peat seems to like starting at lowering PUFA as much as reasonably possible and ensuring one is getting atleast 80 grams of protein daily. 80 grams for hypothyroid people, up to 150 grams or more for euthyroid people who live physically active lives. Also focus on eating the Peat friendly foods... :2cents

I noticed you mention prostate problems and inflammation. The number one thing I'd try for those knowing what I know as of today would be gelatin and a decent amount of it. That's a good thing since gelatin is protein it'll help you achieve your protein intake goals at the same time. Ohhh, and gelatin is also good for nice skin and strong healthy hair. I hope I've been of some help... :2cents

OP
C

Chaga

A belated thank you for that advice, marcar. I'll be picking up some gelatin tomorrow and trying it out. Not overdoing it, trying to do everything at once for a quick fix, is seriously good advice. Something I need reminding of on a small scale daily. Much appreciated.

6 days after the original post and I feel substantially better and different. The number one thing for me was quitting consuming cannabis. I think all of the food suggestions I've come across plus a few minutes of cold shower in the morning have really made that transition easier. What a rambling desperate first post that was, I recall cold sweaty hands while typing it. I never picked up a thermometer but my hands are hot and dry as I type now, I'm warm, comfortable and clear-headed even after a 10 hour shift and yard work.

tara

:welcome Chaga
I think marcar is giving good advice - I'd focus on lowering PUFA as far as practical and getting good nourishment from food first, add in some minerals and vitamins if you can't get enough from food, and then maybe later consider if you would benefit from other supps. Cronometer can give you an idea of what nutrients you are getting from food, though it will probably suggest fewer calories and more PUFA than optimal.
Getting regular sunlight can also be important.

If you want more ideas, you could give more info about what you're eating (only if you want to, of course).

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals