". Doing It Every Day(soap) Is An "Endocrine Disrupter. "

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Hat tip to Sabine over at RP fans for this:

Sabine said:
How much of a concern is fluoride in showering/bath water?"

Ray Peat said:
"I don't think it's a problem. The soaps and shampoos people use are worse problems. Just washing the skin with pure soap alters the skin's endocrine function for days. and doing it every day is an "endocrine disrupter," even if there are no toxic additives in the soap."

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Yep, that no soap and no shampoo decision I made a year ago was definitely a right move.

Last edited by a moderator:

kettlebell

Thanks for that Charlie,

I made that change a couple of months ago after I saw you discussing it. I had been using 100% "Organic, chemical free" soaps/shampoos etc for a while before that BUT that seems to be irrelevant.

For deodorant I just mix a little bicarb with coconut oil and that keeps me smell free all day - A lot more effective than any antiperspirant or deodorant I have ever used.

Ray talks about using coconut oil on your skin for uv protection and advocates bicarb baths so im confident this has no negative effect (Possibly positive thanks to the absorbtion).

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
You are very welcome.

If I ever have to be in a social situation, I just take the dry baking soda and brush it on my underarms and that seems to be working quite well.

Ray-Z

And I thought I was being clever by purchasing pure soap without nasty additives... :lol:

Well, Ray Peat, you have once again pulled a giant rabbit out of your scientific sombrero. And as jarring as it may be to change old habits suddenly, I'd rather know that soap is messing with my endocrine system than not. :mrgreen:

I'm curious about how Ray explains this conclusion.

Concerning deoderant...

I have been using a Thai deoderant stone from iHerb. Using this stone was described to me as being like rubbing a very thin layer of salt under your arms, and hence not harmful...BUT I really should double-check that the ingredients are benign. If my seemingly innocent glycerin soap can be an endocrine disrupter, maybe I need to rethink some other "non-toxic" household products as well...

jyb

It's not too surprising that using soap isn't so good - I'm hearing more and more about the fact that it removes the skin's natural moisture, which it will have to re-create over the days. I imagine using salt has the same problem. Over the last year I only use soap on the smelly areas - so I don't soap most of the body.

The same applies for hair and how it needs to recreate moisture. It strikes me that when I moisture my hair with coconut oil, my hair won't go scratchy or smell for a whole week! Those shampoos and conditioners, even the gentle ones, require me to re-wash every 2-3 days. I think the coconut oil is considerably healthier.

Combie

So, how would someone wash their, erm, uncircumcised parts?

jyb

Combie said:

Warm salty water instead of soap is often advised even by doctors. I only do it or soft soap when there needs to, doing it everyday is probably harmful.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
From what I gather, the skin and also hair is pretty much self cleaning.

I sometimes do use a bit of soap on my buttocks region, and a slight bit under my arms occasionally. Otherwise, warm water does the duties with no problem. I have not used shampoo on my hair in over a year.

Combie

Charlie said:
From what I gather, the skin and also hair is pretty much self cleaning.

I sometimes do use a bit of soap on my buttocks region, and a slight bit under my arms occasionally. Otherwise, warm water does the duties with no problem. I have not used shampoo on my hair in over a year.
Being pretty much bald, I have no problems in the hair washing dept! I get greasy skin when i eat things my gut doesn't like tho, water does nothing.

gretchen

Charlie said:
Yep, that no soap and no shampoo decision I made a year ago was definitely a right move.

There are really no good soaps? :?

I am piss. What alternatives are there besides not using soap?

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Water works well. If something is needed, baking soda works well especially for hair.

chris

Combie said:

I've never had any issues with water alone.

I've not washed my hair with anything other than water in something like ~1.5 years. I never get greasy hair anymore, even after like 5-6 days of not washing, it looks the same all the time.

Jellyfish

WOW :shock:
So naturals ones like african black soap is not okay? :roll:

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I would think anything other then water is probably going to disturb the balance of the skin to some effect or another.

Ray-Z

I've been largely successful in avoiding soap since Charlie posted the quote from fb, but I have a few questions for all you soapless Peaty peoples...

Do you not use soap when you wash your hands after handling raw meat? After using the bathroom? After contact with sick people?

Is water alone enough to minimize the risk of contamination in these kinds of circumstances?

kiran

I don't use much soap/shampoo on my body.

I do use soap when I wash my hands.

Rachel

I haven't used soap for bathing in years. Water works great.
The hair for me is another matter altogether! I tried a 10 week experiment without shampoo. :barf
Ray-Z said:
Is water alone enough to minimize the risk of contamination in these kinds of circumstances?
Errr, no. :lol: