". Doing It Every Day(soap) Is An "Endocrine Disrupter. "

schultz

So, how does one go about doing dishes? Is dish soap needed or will scrubbing hard remove the harmful germs?

Usually I use a dishwasher, but if I hand wash them I like to use gloves.

tara

So, how does one go about doing dishes? Is dish soap needed or will scrubbing hard remove the harmful germs?
You can probably reduce the need for large amounts of soap or detergent by rinsing the majority of the food off with just water, but I wouldn't generally skip the soap or detergent altogether. The greasier the dishes, the more you need. If you want to minimise you own exposure to it, you can use gloves and rinse dishes off with clean water after. You may be able to wash dishes with baking soda, but I would expect that to be approximately as hard on the skin as soap or detergent.

Luann

Yeah, greasy dishes need soap. It's the other things, i.e. drinking glasses, cutting boards, salsa bowls: no residue, so how bad can the bacteria potential be?

tara

so how bad can the bacteria potential be?
If they are really well cleaned in hot water, no residue, and allowed to dry thoroughly, maybe no worse than lots of things we subject ourselves to?Drying thoroughly makes quite a difference, apparently.
Personally, the grease on drinking glasses is something I prefer to get rid of thoroughly.

Luann

Which uh, which conclusion, there, Kingtyreze?
He's made a lot of conclusions, mostly documented in articles that he adds sources and citations for at the end / footnotes. Not that he couldn't make a mistake, obviously scientists do all the time.

Which uh, which conclusion, there, Kingtyreze?
He's made a lot of conclusions, mostly documented in articles that he adds sources and citations for at the end / footnotes. Not that he couldn't make a mistake, obviously scientists do all the time.

I mean the conclusion that natural soaps (even the one without chemicals) disrupt the endocrine system.

Luann

Anyone have ideas for health-friendly cleaning supplies? Vinegar is sort of disputed, like some people think it's great and others think it's not effective. What do you guys use

X3CyO

I mean the conclusion that natural soaps (even the one without chemicals) disrupt the endocrine system.

@charlie

Is there any specific article that peat has come to this conclusion from?

jyb

Yeah, greasy dishes need soap. It's the other things, i.e. drinking glasses, cutting boards, salsa bowls: no residue, so how bad can the bacteria potential be?

Soap is not needed to remove grease, even though it can speed things up in some cases. Hot water effectively removes it, a sponge is sometimes needed but not always. My kitchen has no soap. I have vinegar, but have never even needed it for dishes in my life. You really would not be able to tell the difference between what I cleaned and dishes that would have been cleaned with soap. Note, I eat plenty of grease (probably more than most on this forum).

Last edited:

Luann

@jyb That's awesome! So it can be done lol. So far it has been an interesting journey toward using less soap, in the shower, even in the laundry (which still smells nice when it's done).

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Ideonaut

I've been largely successful in avoiding soap since Charlie posted the quote from fb, but I have a few questions for all you soapless Peaty peoples...

Do you not use soap when you wash your hands after handling raw meat? After using the bathroom? After contact with sick people?

Is water alone enough to minimize the risk of contamination in these kinds of circumstances?
borax (Boraxo--available in the laundry section of the grocery store) works great on the hands. It's just a natural mineral. Maybe it is okay if baking soda is okay. Anybody know?

Constatine

I'm assuming it disrupts the endocrine system by removing the oils on the skin, not just by chemically additives. If natural soaps are doing their job then it should disrupt the endocrine system as well. I think it was haidut who also pointed out that ray stated that the very act of washing (even without any soap) was an endocrine disruption as well...though probably to a lesser degree. What I take away from this is to rarely remove the oils from the skin and to avoid becoming smelly by depleting iron.

Constatine

I've made my own coconut oil soap for years. It's easy. But it's soap, and Ray said soap disrupts the endocrine function of the skin, no?
As long as there is something that will remove oils from the skin I assume it will disrupt endocrine function. My advice: deplete iron to not smell, only wash hair and only when you need to, and relish in your natural manly (or girly) musk (which shouldn't smell bad unless you have excess iron or other health problems).

nikolabeacon

It is interesting topic for me because I trained swimming From my 7-18 year of age.I absolutely agree with conclusions that ...anything other than water for body washing disrupts endocrine process.
As long as there is something that will remove oils from the skin I assume it will disrupt endocrine function. My advice: deplete iron to not smell, only wash hair and only when you need to, and relish in your natural manly (or girly) musk (which shouldn't smell bad unless you have excess iron or other health problems).
I experimented for the last 2 years And found that this is true...especially for smell...I still swimm in summer But not in swimming pools anymore because they are so chlorinated that I thinking they are TOXIC to skin And body. I first washed with water 1-2 times a week in winter And in summer every day....then I reduced Those frequency even more...And went not to wash body for even 20 days to see And didn't noticed any increased smell ...Now I wash body when I fell I need it since I realized that when you tune with your body you can really feel this.......I feel i can sense now when I need body And hair wash And it has nothing to do with smell or dirt..(naturally it occurrs more often in summer period)..in comparation to period when i was routinely going to bathe . I mean if yoh built a habit of bathing routinely..at starting of reducing it you will feel need more often But after some time it becomes normal...And also I noticed that I had fewer colds And flues since reducing bathing frequency or maybe it has nothing to do with that. Now I just bathe my feet regularly. And i wanted to share something Interesting about this topic .I was reading buckminster fuller books recently And found this in the transcriptions of videos "everything i know".. if anyone is familiar with him....very interesting man.
I gave you the circumstances of the Beech Aircraft house last night and then gave you my resolve after that experience to commit myself now to shells, because I saw that a great many were inherently preoccupied in the direction where some success would really develop in what we call the autonomous package of the equipment you need to keep yourself clean and so forth to take care of your processes. I showed you the picture of the bathroom, but I did not have the picture, I thought I had it there, but I recall now that we didn’t look at it. Following those bathroom pictures, I came to doing experimental work with an idea that I had had in 1927, at the time of the Dymaxion House, and what I undertook to do real experimental work with occurred in 1948 at the Institute of Design in Chicago, and 1950 at Yale University Architectural School, two separate operations. Where we discovered that instead of having to have a wet bathroom, where you fill the tub full of the water, and have showers and so forth, there is something to be really learned about cleansing of the skin. Because I had had the experience in the Navy back in 1917, of being in the engine room and getting very oily and greasy, and coming on deck, and a very short while later without having anything to actually clean myself up, finding my hands very, very clean, and my face clean, and it was from the great wind, and there was fog, and somehow this wind and fog had a cleansing effect. I was amazed by it, without any soap or anything to help it.

013: So I was getting into what I called the fog gun experiments and I want to point out to you coming back to our experience with hydraulics, we have been thinking about hydraulics and pneumatics. The hydraulics were non-compressible, very much more dense than are the gases. Therefore, when we get to trying to be economical with water and cleaning, you could get into a needle point shower, get where the kinetics of you get high pressure but very fine little droplets, and then because it is non-compressible it really is a little bullet, and you get to a point where the needle-point shower will break your skin, and that is as far as you can go. And still you’re not getting very much greater very much economy with your water.

014: What I found you could do would be to take compressed air, and atomizing water into the compressed air, that the air itself then, very much less weight than the water, then the air being also pneumatic and so forth, it could really penetrate your pores, and under great pressure without hurting you at all. You could have really very powerful pressure of air on your skin and it doesn’t hurt at all. And I found that it could get into the pores, being really finer molecules than the water molecules, so you get into the pores and if I atomized some water and went in with it there could be a scavenging out of the pores and bring just really float the dirt away. So we went in for such experiments and you’ve seen human beings cleaning buildings, a great operation going, and it looks like they’re using steam up there it isn’t. It’s highly very high compressed air with water atomized in it. And it is cleaning that building just beautifully, doing just what I said. And if you take one of their kind of guns, you might think it would really hurt, hurt your hand it doesn’t hurt you. It might make your arm go like that, but it does not break the skin. So that we got into experiments of that kind at the Institute of Design in Chicago, and we went in for all kinds of study of the different kinds of dirt that occurred around Chicago, and we finally arranged to, we took a lathe, a machine tool lathe, and organized a camera, microscope and camera lenses looking at your hand with a great deal of light, so that your hand would not jerk and so forth we were able to make very beautiful enlarged photographs of the pores of what your skin looks like with dirt on it. And you take a picture of your hand, just the dirty first, and it looks like one thing, but it is completely different when you see it enormously enlarged. There will be literally little hunks lodged out here on the mountain top and so forth, and you can really see how this thing could really work, so we got into studies, then, of all the types of dirt that were known in the total Chicago area, that you might get into there. There are many types you can really classify those.

015: And, incidentally, a team of the students at the Institute of Design in Chicago went out and interviewed dermatologists in Chicago. In the first place we went to some of the local hospitals, we got names of what were considered the best dermatologists in Chicago, and they called on them, and everyone of them said the worst thing you could have for your skin is soap. So that was worth paying some attention to, we felt, and so if you could get away of cleaning our skin without use of the soap, it could be very, very excellent, and we found we could.

016: This came then to problems of different types of guns that you would use, and your supply. In cleaning those buildings they have enormous big engines going and very big compressors and so forth. And what would be the minimum that really would work in your home? Where you could take a bath for an hour out there in a room where you don’t have any drainage because there isn’t anything to drain. How you could really give yourself a very beautiful massage because this also massages the skin very well.

017: So that we got to the point where we discovered between the Institute of Design, and then later on at the Yale project, that it did require quite a high pressure. The usual automobile filling station where they have air compressors and tanks and so forth go up only to about 200 pounds pressure, and this needs to be at greater than 200 pounds. It does not really work well until you get it over 200 pounds. So this isn’t just something you can do with any compressor at all, you really have to have some good apparatus, the right apparatus. We found that the Ford Motor Company had developed a special gun for their air compressor where they clean engines, a greasy dirty engine comes in and its cleaned at no time at all with the gun, so that is the same idea, the same air compressor with a little water atomized going into it.5

Ras

Ras said:
Hi, Dr Peat.

You once said, "The soaps and shampoos people use are worse problems. Just washing the skin with pure soap alters the skin's endocrine function for days. and doing it every day is an "endocrine disrupter," even if there are no toxic additives in the soap."

How does soap disrupt the endocrine system? Do you have any studies about that effect?

Thank you

He replied:
Dr Ray Peat said:
Removal of vitamin D from the skin is the effect that has been studied most.

Constatine

It is interesting topic for me because I trained swimming From my 7-18 year of age.I absolutely agree with conclusions that ...anything other than water for body washing disrupts endocrine process.

I experimented for the last 2 years And found that this is true...especially for smell...I still swimm in summer But not in swimming pools anymore because they are so chlorinated that I thinking they are TOXIC to skin And body. I first washed with water 1-2 times a week in winter And in summer every day....then I reduced Those frequency even more...And went not to wash body for even 20 days to see And didn't noticed any increased smell ...Now I wash body when I fell I need it since I realized that when you tune with your body you can really feel this.......I feel i can sense now when I need body And hair wash And it has nothing to do with smell or dirt..(naturally it occurrs more often in summer period)..in comparation to period when i was routinely going to bathe . I mean if yoh built a habit of bathing routinely..at starting of reducing it you will feel need more often But after some time it becomes normal...And also I noticed that I had fewer colds And flues since reducing bathing frequency or maybe it has nothing to do with that. Now I just bathe my feet regularly. And i wanted to share something Interesting about this topic .I was reading buckminster fuller books recently And found this in the transcriptions of videos "everything i know".. if anyone is familiar with him....very interesting man.
I gave you the circumstances of the Beech Aircraft house last night and then gave you my resolve after that experience to commit myself now to shells, because I saw that a great many were inherently preoccupied in the direction where some success would really develop in what we call the autonomous package of the equipment you need to keep yourself clean and so forth to take care of your processes. I showed you the picture of the bathroom, but I did not have the picture, I thought I had it there, but I recall now that we didn’t look at it. Following those bathroom pictures, I came to doing experimental work with an idea that I had had in 1927, at the time of the Dymaxion House, and what I undertook to do real experimental work with occurred in 1948 at the Institute of Design in Chicago, and 1950 at Yale University Architectural School, two separate operations. Where we discovered that instead of having to have a wet bathroom, where you fill the tub full of the water, and have showers and so forth, there is something to be really learned about cleansing of the skin. Because I had had the experience in the Navy back in 1917, of being in the engine room and getting very oily and greasy, and coming on deck, and a very short while later without having anything to actually clean myself up, finding my hands very, very clean, and my face clean, and it was from the great wind, and there was fog, and somehow this wind and fog had a cleansing effect. I was amazed by it, without any soap or anything to help it.

013: So I was getting into what I called the fog gun experiments and I want to point out to you coming back to our experience with hydraulics, we have been thinking about hydraulics and pneumatics. The hydraulics were non-compressible, very much more dense than are the gases. Therefore, when we get to trying to be economical with water and cleaning, you could get into a needle point shower, get where the kinetics of you get high pressure but very fine little droplets, and then because it is non-compressible it really is a little bullet, and you get to a point where the needle-point shower will break your skin, and that is as far as you can go. And still you’re not getting very much greater very much economy with your water.

014: What I found you could do would be to take compressed air, and atomizing water into the compressed air, that the air itself then, very much less weight than the water, then the air being also pneumatic and so forth, it could really penetrate your pores, and under great pressure without hurting you at all. You could have really very powerful pressure of air on your skin and it doesn’t hurt at all. And I found that it could get into the pores, being really finer molecules than the water molecules, so you get into the pores and if I atomized some water and went in with it there could be a scavenging out of the pores and bring just really float the dirt away. So we went in for such experiments and you’ve seen human beings cleaning buildings, a great operation going, and it looks like they’re using steam up there it isn’t. It’s highly very high compressed air with water atomized in it. And it is cleaning that building just beautifully, doing just what I said. And if you take one of their kind of guns, you might think it would really hurt, hurt your hand it doesn’t hurt you. It might make your arm go like that, but it does not break the skin. So that we got into experiments of that kind at the Institute of Design in Chicago, and we went in for all kinds of study of the different kinds of dirt that occurred around Chicago, and we finally arranged to, we took a lathe, a machine tool lathe, and organized a camera, microscope and camera lenses looking at your hand with a great deal of light, so that your hand would not jerk and so forth we were able to make very beautiful enlarged photographs of the pores of what your skin looks like with dirt on it. And you take a picture of your hand, just the dirty first, and it looks like one thing, but it is completely different when you see it enormously enlarged. There will be literally little hunks lodged out here on the mountain top and so forth, and you can really see how this thing could really work, so we got into studies, then, of all the types of dirt that were known in the total Chicago area, that you might get into there. There are many types you can really classify those.

015: And, incidentally, a team of the students at the Institute of Design in Chicago went out and interviewed dermatologists in Chicago. In the first place we went to some of the local hospitals, we got names of what were considered the best dermatologists in Chicago, and they called on them, and everyone of them said the worst thing you could have for your skin is soap. So that was worth paying some attention to, we felt, and so if you could get away of cleaning our skin without use of the soap, it could be very, very excellent, and we found we could.

016: This came then to problems of different types of guns that you would use, and your supply. In cleaning those buildings they have enormous big engines going and very big compressors and so forth. And what would be the minimum that really would work in your home? Where you could take a bath for an hour out there in a room where you don’t have any drainage because there isn’t anything to drain. How you could really give yourself a very beautiful massage because this also massages the skin very well.

017: So that we got to the point where we discovered between the Institute of Design, and then later on at the Yale project, that it did require quite a high pressure. The usual automobile filling station where they have air compressors and tanks and so forth go up only to about 200 pounds pressure, and this needs to be at greater than 200 pounds. It does not really work well until you get it over 200 pounds. So this isn’t just something you can do with any compressor at all, you really have to have some good apparatus, the right apparatus. We found that the Ford Motor Company had developed a special gun for their air compressor where they clean engines, a greasy dirty engine comes in and its cleaned at no time at all with the gun, so that is the same idea, the same air compressor with a little water atomized going into it.5
Very interesting. What negative effects did you see from endocrine disruption via chlorine water?