Dog Ownership Associated With Longer Life, Especially Among Heart Attack And Stroke Survivors

lampofred

Almost every single person/family I know got a dog within the last few years. There has to be some subconscious reason for the enormous increase in dog ownership. Maybe some protection against increased serotonin/estrogen through some yet undiscovered way, maybe just by reducing loneliness and thus lowering serotonin. But if it just is due to reduced loneliness other pets should offer similar protection. Interestingly some religions prohibit dog ownership.

OP
jzeno

jzeno

Lots of people are single later in life, divorcing later in life and/or just lonely. I could see it being for that or something else.

brix

I think it comes down to a state of loneliness brought on by the internet age. Less social connections, less oxytocin. Dogs provide that. I’m young and most of my friends and acquaintances all have dogs.

D

danishispsychic

UNNNNtil you get a massive parasite issue when your dog is not wormed properly at the shelter or breeder and no US doctor will diagnosis you and then you have to take toxic horse and goat wormers that you get on Amazon and ruin your gut and then spend a few years trying to recover. But ok.

brix

UNNNNtil you get a massive parasite issue when your dog is not wormed properly at the shelter or breeder and no US doctor will diagnosis you and then you have to take toxic horse and goat wormers that you get on Amazon and ruin your gut and then spend a few years trying to recover. But ok.

Hate when that happens.

Taotatoes

Did you demand stool testing? I routinely deworm myself twice per year with OTC stuff from the pharmacy, but I've often considered taking my dogs dewormer because it includes tape worm medication (which is apparently safe for most bipedals). I get my dog dewormer on Ebay these days, which is much cheaper than anywhere else I've looked and contains more effective antiparasitics than normally carried at vet pharmacies in my area. I swear vets use less effective drugs to keep people coming back more regularly.

Mauritio

I sometimes take a dog for some hours if buddies of mine dont have time. And I must say there is something inherently anti-stress about spending time with this little creature . Its weird to translate everything into a hormonal state but I would say it is anti-cortisol and pro dopaminergic ...

D

danishispsychic

Did you demand stool testing? I routinely deworm myself twice per year with OTC stuff from the pharmacy, but I've often considered taking my dogs dewormer because it includes tape worm medication (which is apparently safe for most bipedals). I get my dog dewormer on Ebay these days, which is much cheaper than anywhere else I've looked and contains more effective antiparasitics than normally carried at vet pharmacies in my area. I swear vets use less effective drugs to keep people coming back more regularly.
Of course I demanded stool testing :) I de worm on full moons most months with different kinds or wormers and also use herbs. The only over the counter de wormers in USA are weak and lame. I agree on Ebay wormers. I use dog wormers, horse wormers, I rotate them. Right now I am trying to rebuild my gut from that damage and also Cipro hell but it's going well. I love love love dogs but probably will never have them again. We lived on the beach and it was a " dog beach " where lots of dogs were allowed, and honestly I think that that made the issue explode.

ken

upload_2019-10-9_15-1-56.jpeg
upload_2019-10-9_15-1-56.jpeg

Taotatoes

Of course I demanded stool testing :) I de worm on full moons most months with different kinds or wormers and also use herbs. The only over the counter de wormers in USA are weak and lame. I agree on Ebay wormers. I use dog wormers, horse wormers, I rotate them. Right now I am trying to rebuild my gut from that damage and also Cipro hell but it's going well. I love love love dogs but probably will never have them again. We lived on the beach and it was a " dog beach " where lots of dogs were allowed, and honestly I think that that made the issue explode.

Ahh, kk. Good stuff. I'm currently raising a new puppy and I'm super neurotic about the poop getting scooped up immediately and everyone's hand washing. I feel comfortable with our current routine, hopefully nothing ever gets out of hand. I went without a dog for the last 8 months after the last had to be put down near xmas. I swore I was done, but here I am again... Love all types of fur children, I'd rather be home with them than anywhere else, but I also own dogs for the motivation to stay active as I age.

Last edited:
D

danishispsychic

PS> out of all the things I have taken for parasites, I think Pumpkin, Food grade DE, coconut oil, mixed with really strong pumpkin spice mix with some yogurt is a great fall human de wormer. Also, a small gluten free pizza with about 5-10 chopped up garlic cloves is another good parasite bomb as well.

gaze

dogs are pure joy and happiness, all the time. it’s a breath of fresh air from humans. not surprising at all given that when i’m playing with my dog, stress is non existent

rzero

Animals are great. But animals are for outside. Inside is for people.

aquaman

I sometimes take a dog for some hours if buddies of mine dont have time. And I must say there is something inherently anti-stress about spending time with this little creature . Its weird to translate everything into a hormonal state but I would say it is anti-cortisol and pro dopaminergic ...

yes plus for owners, they get the daily low-grade, non-stressful exercise . Walks are great for digestion and glucose control

opethfeldt

I wonder if this is an effect of just having a pet or whether a dog would be better than a cat or another animal. I wish they allowed dogs where I live. They're great companions and friendlier and more loyal than most people...

Mauritio

vulture

Almost every single person/family I know got a dog within the last few years. There has to be some subconscious reason for the enormous increase in dog ownership. Maybe some protection against increased serotonin/estrogen through some yet undiscovered way, maybe just by reducing loneliness and thus lowering serotonin. But if it just is due to reduced loneliness other pets should offer similar protection. Interestingly some religions prohibit dog ownership.
Lol. So I guess after you said that you think the main purpose of human life is to reduce serotonin levels hahahaha

lampofred

Lol. So I guess after you said that you think the main purpose of human life is to reduce serotonin levels hahahaha

Well serotonin is a fundamental biological marker of pain, and pretty much everything we do is aimed at increasing pleasure and reducing pain, so in a sense I actually do think that...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals