Dog Lymphoma

Sam Suska

Forum Supporter
Hi, my 8-9 year old 70-pound pitbull/labrador was diagnosed with probable lymphoma.
He had serious anemia, high white blood cells and low red blood cells.

Does anyone out there have any advice, tips or resources for me?

Thanks.

Regina

Hi, my 8-9 year old 70-pound pitbull/labrador was diagnosed with probable lymphoma.

Thanks.
Poor guy.
I really like the way my dog has responded to adding aspirin to his food.
Chewy sells an apple flavored aspirin powder for dogs.

I also add a little vitamin K2.

Do you feed him liver? And gum free cottage cheese.

Ocassionally, I add a doxycycline or minocycline.

My dog has some large masses. One right on his chest over his heart. I think the aspirin has reduced its size.
He also suffered from intense itchies and allergies. This has nearly gone away.

I slip him a ketotifen from time to time too.

boris

boris

It's very hard to find good premade food, there's lots of junk in all petfoods.

I would feed him raw meat and organs with eggshell powder, cheese, eggs. Fruit like berries, melons, apples, oranges. Maybe some cooked vegetables. No cherries or grapes (toxic to dogs).

Regarding the cancer:

Glycine dissolved very well in water so you can buy pure glycine powder from a place like PureBulk or Amazon, and dissolve it in water as 10% solution. I think this is enough for an anti-cancer effect and it tastes sweet so the animals may actually like it. I have seen a dog that had lymphoma drink this water for a few months and then the diagnosis was changed to bening tumors. Not sure if it was the glycnie or the diagnosis was really wrong the first time around, but the owner is ecstatic and now recommends it to all other dog owners she knows, especially larger dog owners since those are the ones that tend to get the lymphatic cancers. Don't know much about cats but the glycine solution should be applicable to them as well.

Here is some recent correspondence I had with Ray regarding dog cancer:

Me: Hi Dr. Peat,
My dog was recently diagnosed with transitional cell carcinoma in his bladder/urethra/prostate area. He is a Chihuahua mix, about 12 pounds and 10.5 years old. He is asymptomatic except for a small amount of blood in his urine. Other issues include mild valvular disease, cholecystitis, cloudy eyes (no cataracts). Appetite is good, no problems eliminating yet.

Based on my reading of your articles and information on the forum, I have begun the following therapies:
- Aspirin (veterinary-grade): 50mg twice a day. Veterinarian is recommending Piroxicam.
- Progesterone: 3mg twice a day
- vitamin K1 (veterinary-grade): 25mg tablet 3 times a week
- Artimisinin: 50mg twice a day, cycling 4 days on, 3 days off
- Thyroid: 8mcg t3 drops morning & afternoon, 1 grain Thiroyd (NDT) in the evening
- Transitioning his diet to lower iron, higher calcium/magnesium

What I'm wondering is, does it seem like I'm on the right track? I have no idea about dosages, mostly guesswork. I'd appreciate any advice you can offer.

Ray: I think a diet with milk, cheese, and some egg would be good. Aspirin is likely to be better than piroxicam. Vitamin K and progesterone are likely to help. Vitamin D is important; I think 1000 i.u. would be o.k. I would start with smaller amounts of the thyroid. I think the aspirin and progesterone could be increased according to their effects on symptoms.

J Urol. 2001 Jan;165(1):253-8.
Effects of vitamin D (calcitriol) on transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder in vitro and in vivo.
Konety BR, Lavelle JP, Pirtskalaishvili G, Dhir R, Meyers SA, Nguyen TS, Hershberger P, Shurin MR, Johnson CS, Trump DL, Zeidel ML, Getzenberg RH.
PURPOSE:
Vitamin D (calcitriol) has significant antiproliferative effects on various tumor cells in vitro and in vivo. In the clinical situation a major impediment to systemic administration of calcitriol is the side effect of hypercalcemia. To test the potential usefulness of calcitriol for bladder cancer treatment, we studied the antiproliferative effect of vitamin D on 2 human bladder cancer cell lines, 253j and T-24, in vitro. We also examined the in vivo effects of calcitriol in an animal model of bladder cancer using intravesical administration to avoid the toxicity of systemic calcitriol therapy.
MATERIALS AND METHODS:
The presence of vitamin D receptors in normal and neoplastic human bladder tissue, and tumor cells T-24 and 253j was determined by immunoblot analysis. Tumor cell proliferation in the presence or absence of calcitriol was determined using a crystal violet assay. Calcitriol induced apoptosis was determined by morphology, polyadenosine diphosphate ribose polymerase cleavage and annexin V binding. In vivo studies were performed by weekly intravesical instillation of calcitriol in female Fischer 344 rats after induction of tumors by N-methyl nitrosourea. Calcitriol administration was started 3 weeks after tumor induction for 7 doses at weekly intervals.
RESULTS:
Normal and neoplastic human bladder tissue, and the cell lines expressed vitamin D receptors. In the 253j and T-24 cell lines proliferation was significantly inhibited by calcitriol. Progressive cleavage of full length polyadenosine diphosphate ribose polymerase was observed in calcitriol treated cells starting as early as 4 hours after exposure. Similar changes were not observed in the control cells treated with vehicle (ethanol) alone. After 24 hours of treatment with calcitriol 45.8% of 253j cells bound annexin compared to 16.5% of control cells (chi-square p <0.001). Of the control animals 66% developed bladder tumors and 55% of the animals treated with calcitriol early (3 weeks) after tumor induction developed bladder tumors. Almost all of the tumors that developed in the calcitriol group were unifocal, and only 20% were invasive compared to 50% of those in the control animals.
CONCLUSIONS:
These results demonstrate that calcitriol inhibits proliferation and induces apoptosis in human bladder tumor cells in vitro, and may have therapeutic potential in bladder cancer. In vivo studies using an N-methylnitrosourea induced model of bladder cancer demonstrate that early institution of intravesical calcitriol therapy after carcinogen exposure results in fewer tumors, which are also less likely to be multifocal, high grade or invasive. With our protocol a short course of intravesical calcitriol administration did not result in any significant toxicity.

PLoS One. 2018; 13(4): e0195844.
Vitamin D receptor suppresses proliferation and metastasis in renal cell carcinoma cell lines via regulating the expression of the epithelial Ca2+ channel TRPV5
YongMing Chen, Data curation, Formal analysis, Writing – original draft,1 XinYu Liu, Resources, Supervision,2 FaBiao Zhang, Writing – review & editing,1 ShanFan Liao, Software, Writing – review & editing,1 XiYuan He, Software, Writing – review & editing,1 DeXiang Zhuo, Formal analysis, Methodology,1 HuaiBin Huang, Software, Writing – review & editing,1 and YongYang Wu, Conceptualization, Funding acquisition, Methodology, Resources, Writing – review & editing1,*Aamir Ahmad, Editor
Abstract
We previously demonstrated that transient receptor potential vanilloid subfamily 5 (TRPV5) expression was decreased in renal cell carcinoma (RCC) compared with that in normal kidney tissues, a finding that was correlated with vitamin D receptor (VDR) expression, but further investigations is warranted. The aim of this study was to elucidate whether VDR could regulate the expression of TRPV5 and affect proliferation and metastasis in RCC. In this study, we used lentivirus to conduct the model of VDR overexpression and knockdown caki-1 and 786-O RCC cell lines in vitro. The results demonstrated that VDR overexpression significantly inhibited RCC cells proliferation, migration and invasion, and promoted apoptosis by the MTT, transwell cell migration/invasion and flow cytometry assays, respectively. However, VDR knockdown in RCC cells had the opposite effect. The RNA-sequence assay, which was assessed in caki-1 cells after VDR overexpression and knockdown, also indicated that significantly differentially expressed genes were associated with cell apoptotic, differentiation, proliferation and migration. RT-PCR and western blot analysis showed that VDR knockdown increased TRPV5 expression and VDR overexpression decreased TRPV5 expression in caki-1 cells. Furthermore, knockdown of TRPV5 expression suppressed the VDR knockdown-induced change in the proliferation, migration and invasion in caki-1 cells. Taken together, these findings confirmed that VDR functions as a tumour suppressor in RCC cells and suppresses the proliferation, migration and invasion of RCC through regulating the expression of TRPV5.

Vitamin D Deficiency and Increased Risk of Bladder Carcinoma: A Meta-Analysis
Zhang H.a · Zhang H.b · Wen X.a · Zhang Y.a · Wei X.a · Liu T.a
Cell Physiol Biochem 2015;37:1686-1692
Abstract
Background/Aims: Vitamin D status in relation to bladder carcinoma risk was still inconsistent. This study was carried out to evaluate the relationship between vitamin D status and bladder carcinoma risk through a meta-analysis approach. Methods: Pubmed, Web of Science, CNKI, and Embase were searched systemically to find eligible studies from the earliest available date to April 16, 2015. The search terms “vitamin D”, “25-hydroxyvitamin D”, “bladder cancer” or “bladder carcinoma” were used to retrieve relevant studies. The exposure of interest was intake of vitamin D or serum vitamin D levels, and the outcome of interest was bladder carcinoma incidence or mortality. The pooled risk ratio (RR) values and their 95%CIs were calculated through meta-analysis. Results: Seven studies with a total of 62,141 participants met the inclusion criteria and were finally included into the meta-analysis. There was no heterogeneity among those included studies (I2 = 0%, P = 0.53). The pooled RR of bladder carcinoma for the lowest category versus the highest category of vitamin D was 1.34 (95% CI 1.17-1.53, P < 0.0001). Sensitivity analysis by omitting one study by turns showed all the pooled RRs were statistically significant. Meta-analysis of 5 studies reporting outcomes of serum vitamin D levels also showed that the low serum vitamin D level was associated with increased risk of bladder carcinoma (RR = 1.32, 95%CI 1.15-1.52, P = 0.0001). No obvious risk of publication bias was observed. Conclusion: Vitamin D deficiency is associated with increased risk of bladder carcinoma in present study.

Last edited:

Regina

Ingredients
Beef, pork meal, peas, lentils, salmon meal, chickpeas, pea protein, lamb, beef fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), beef liver, beef kidneys, sunflower oil, venison, natural vegetable flavor, flaxseed, suncured alfalfa, beef heart, beef tripe, beef bone, fenugreek seed, pumpkin, coconut oil, pumpkin seed, organic cranberries, organic spinach, organic broccoli, organic beets, organic carrots, organic squash, organic blueberries, inulin (from chicory root), thyme, sage, rosemary extract, taurine, tocopherols (preservative), dried kelp, choline chloride, calcium carbonate, zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, sodium selenite, calcium iodate, vitamin E supplement, thiamine mononitrate, niacin supplement, d-calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, salt, dried Pediococcus acidilactici fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Bifidobacterium longum fermentation product, dried Bacillus coagulans fermentation product.

Yeah, I used to feed the stella and chewy's patties. But they insist on filling them with pufa and vitamin packs and probiotics.
My dogs turned away from them about the time I was learning about pufa.

I still get their single ingredient treats like beef heart and beef/lamb liver. Venison jerky.

I swtiched to this:
Beef Nibblets Freeze-Dried Grain Free Dog Food
Expensive! and not great. It's got herring oil. But otherwise okay.
But he gets just a fistful of it and I add other stuff. Whole raw egg, TJ's mandarin slices, heart, liver, our left overs, cottage cheese before bed.

sweetpeat

An update on my dog: the above email that boris quoted was written in August of 2018. The vet had estimated my dog 4-6 mos to live at that time. As I write this, my little guy is still alive and kicking. He still gets aspirin daily, progesterone now and then, vit K once a week, the vitamin D as recommended by Peat, and thyroid. Oh, and 1-2grams glycine daily. I also took him off commercial dog food; too high in iron usually. And PUFA.

HLP

Thanks.
A very high percentage of dogs end up with cancer from standard pet food. Fresh liver, raw gr beef , raw beef bones and raw egg yolks may help. Stop all other commercial pet food.

Regina

An update on my dog: the above email that boris quoted was written in August of 2018. The vet had estimated my dog 4-6 mos to live at that time. As I write this, my little guy is still alive and kicking. He still gets aspirin daily, progesterone now and then, vit K once a week, the vitamin D as recommended by Peat, and thyroid. Oh, and 1-2grams glycine daily. I also took him off commercial dog food; too high in iron usually. And PUFA.
Yay!!!!!

B

Braveheart

Sam, Google "Artemisinin and dogs" you will find your help...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals