Dog eating once a day

osar

What is the purpose of feeding dogs raw meat? Doesn't that increase the likelihood they'll get infected with something; parasites, etc.?

@Rinse & rePeat do have any dog food recipes?

Beastmode

What is the purpose of feeding dogs raw meat? Doesn't that increase the likelihood they'll get infected with something; parasites, etc.?

The idea would be certain nutrients would be available that wouldn't be via the cooking process.

I have experience with both regarding my dogs over the years. The quality of meat is far more important than whether it's cooked or not. I think it's probably safer to cook it a bit, at the least.

Since studying Peat's work, the Calcium to Phosphorus ratio is even more important in my experience with my dogs. It's also a much more inexpensive diet this way.

osar

The idea would be certain nutrients would be available that wouldn't be via the cooking process.

I have experience with both regarding my dogs over the years. The quality of meat is far more important than whether it's cooked or not. I think it's probably safer to cook it a bit, at the least.

Since studying Peat's work, the Calcium to Phosphorus ratio is even more important in my experience with my dogs. It's also a much more inexpensive diet this way.
what is the change in nutrients from cooking meat?

nieciadunn

Commercial dog food is like poison.
Cook the dog real food like beef, bone broth (no onion or garlic), raw egg, potatoes, mashed up berries.... I assure you the dog will eat!
And Ofcourse raw food if you can manage, is the absolute best.

My dog does not do well on raw ground meats, but a very rare cooked GRASS FED steak she thrives. She throws up EVERY time I give her chicken and I only buy pastured corn and soy free chicken. Here is my dog food recipe....

Attachments

• 20210228_172433.jpg
    20210228_172433.jpg
    521.5 KB · Views: 32
OP
jackieg763

jackieg763

Good finds.

I can't wait to get a dog from puppy stage throughout life on this approach. I had a great success with my family's dogs at an older age.

They devoured the bone broth from the gelatinous meat cuts I would make them. A great way to balance out the amino acid balance and keep inflammation minimal.
You would just boil the meats and feed them it along with the remaining broth? Any particular gelatinous cuts you’d suggest? Possibly less costly for budget conscious purposes?

OP
jackieg763

jackieg763

My dog does not do well on raw ground meats, but a very rare cooked GRASS FED steak she thrives. She throws up EVERY time I give her chicken and I only buy pastured corn and soy free chicken. Here is my dog food recipe....
Thank you! Cooking instructions? Boiled? How long, etc. will any lard do if ox tail is not available?

Thank you! Cooking instructions? Boiled? How long, etc. will any lard do if ox tail is not available?

Now I just put all the ingredients together in a pot and boil it, until the rice is soft, about 20 minutes, no sauteeing or added fats. There is plenty of fat in the grass fed ground beef or lamb and I fill in, a couple of times during the day, with some raw milk.

Beastmode

what is the change in nutrients from cooking meat?
One thing about cooking it, relative to how long of course, can oxidize the meat a bit too much.
You would just boil the meats and feed them it along with the remaining broth? Any particular gelatinous cuts you’d suggest? Possibly less costly for budget conscious purposes?
Yes. I don't think dogs need much meat if you give them a good Peaty diet so the cheaper ones are ok. Focus on the broth more than the meats. 3 hours (bring to a boil) w/ some OJ or vinegar to get the scum off (it rises to the top) then simmer it for 3 hours.

Candy

All the foods and what they have said here would apply to any breed of dog? They just gave this dog to my children, she is a month and a half old

Regina

Dr. Peat recently mentioned cooked squash for dogs. I make similar meals to "Rinse" and now try to remember some sort of fiber like cooked squash.
I also add some dried TJ's mandarin slices. Other snacks are a Kozy Shack rice pudding and cottage cheese before bed with or without some maple syrup.

noodlecat

Dr. Peat recently mentioned cooked squash for dogs. I make similar meals to "Rinse" and now try to remember some sort of fiber like cooked squash.
I also add some dried TJ's mandarin slices. Other snacks are a Kozy Shack rice pudding and cottage cheese before bed with or without some maple syrup.
where does he talk about squash for dogs?

and +++ on the cozy shack. i and my dog love that stuff. she likes vanilla ice cream the most though as a night time snack.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals