Dog eating once a day

jackieg763

Hi,

My family has a small 6 year old dog. He looks perfectly healthy- neither over or underweight. Great temperament- pretty relaxed dog but enjoys outdoor time and play whenever offered it. He only eats once a day usually in the afternoon, despite his food being out and bowl always full. If he looks and seems healthy is his meal infrequency a concern?

osar

Hi,

My family has a small 6 year old dog. He looks perfectly healthy- neither over or underweight. Great temperament- pretty relaxed dog but enjoys outdoor time and play whenever offered it. He only eats once a day usually in the afternoon, despite his food being out and bowl always full. If he looks and seems healthy is his meal infrequency a concern?
See if he will eat some ice cream or drink some full fat milk :)

JamesGatz

Are you feeding him dog food or real food ?

My dog only ate once a day before peating when we thought her 'dog food' was 'healthy' - the food was also always out, but she clearly hated it -I have never really seen a dog be ok with eating once a day unless the food tasted like trash

Once I tried Peat meals with her similar to me she started eating a lot more - large meals 3 times a day she cleans out and she's a small dog - great energy, great mood, and 0 health problems - best shape I've ever seen her

OP
jackieg763

jackieg763

My dog only ate once a day before peating when we thought her 'dog food' was 'healthy' - the food was also always out, but she clearly hated it -I have never really seen a dog be ok with eating once a day unless the food tasted like trash

Once I tried Peat meals with her similar to me she started eating a lot more - large meals 3 times a day she cleans out and she's a small dog - great energy, great mood, and 0 health problems - best shape I've ever seen her
It’s my family’s dog, they’ve been feeding him dog food. I just moved back and would love to feed him “peaty” whatever that means for pets. Any suggestions on peating for real foods to feed a dog?

shine

I read this as eating dog once a day and thought there was a new diet fad.

mariantos

Hi,

Probably the dog is following an intermittent fasting program!

osar

It’s my family’s dog, they’ve been feeding him dog food. I just moved back and would love to feed him “peaty” whatever that means for pets. Any suggestions on peating for real foods to feed a dog?
I've fed dogs mashed potatoes, eggs, milk, and ice cream. If they eat a pure meat diet it isn't good for them. You can get gelatinous cuts very cheaply and boil them if you have a butcher.

Ray Peat recently mentioned in an interview he knew someone whose dog lost an eye in a fight and he put it on a pure milk diet and its eye regenerated because of the milk diet

TheSir

I read this as eating dog once a day and thought there was a new diet fad.
The Chinese century has begun.

Ray Peat recently mentioned in an interview he knew someone whose dog lost an eye in a fight and he put it on a pure milk diet and its eye regenerated because of the milk diet
Wow. Was it raw milk or regular store milk?

Beastmode

Stay away from dog food and make sure to keep the calcium to phosphorus ratio good. A daily raw carrot, with the outer layer peeled, is a great snack per day to help keep the gut clean.

Milk, well cooked potatoes, vegatables, gelatinous meats, fruit, some cottage cheese (strained well,) cooked cod, shrimp and some of whatever you might be eating that day. Between these foods, adequate sunlight per day, good exercise and attention they'll be good.

If ever sick for some reason, add some thyroid, progest-e, a little aspirin and other peat friendly supplements when needed.

Makrosky

WTF?????????? :rolling

OP
jackieg763

jackieg763

Stay away from dog food and make sure to keep the calcium to phosphorus ratio good. A daily raw carrot, with the outer layer peeled, is a great snack per day to help keep the gut clean.

Milk, well cooked potatoes, vegatables, gelatinous meats, fruit, some cottage cheese (strained well,) cooked cod, shrimp and some of whatever you might be eating that day. Between these foods, adequate sunlight per day, good exercise and attention they'll be good.

If ever sick for some reason, add some thyroid, progest-e, a little aspirin and other peat friendly supplements when needed.
Thank you for the info. Any suggestions on good gelatinous meats or specific cuts? Preferably more inexpensive cuts so I can source from my grass fed butcher at the farmers market. Boiled right? Not raw

jnklheimer

Hi,

If you put fresh meat and white rice with some coconut oil and ground eggshell in it they’ll eat it multiple times a day.

jnklheimer

Thank you for the info. Any suggestions on good gelatinous meats or specific cuts? Preferably more inexpensive cuts so I can source from my grass fed butcher at the farmers market. Boiled right? Not raw
use gelatin or collagen powder

can you describe what you are feeding your dog? That would be very helpful.

-Luke-

Out of curiosity, what does you dog eat?

JamesGatz

Out of curiosity, what does you dog eat?
can you describe what you are feeding your dog? That would be very helpful.

Butter Croissants
White Rice
Hash Browns
Steak and/or Ground Beef
NOW foods gelatin (I mix the powder with pineapple juice and it turns into a consistency that is easy for her to digest)
Parmigiano Reggiano Aged Cheese (melted over the white rice usually)
A2 Low-fat Milk (usually with coffee and white sugar)
Coffee
Mexican Coke
Pineapple
Watermelon
Orange Juice
Tangerine Juice
Carrot once a day

Although she doesn't like drinking Orange Juice or Tangerine Juice alone, she does look a lot healthier when she gets it in so I usually giver her a piece of croissant or some rice that I let absorb the Orange Juice or Tangerine Juice.

I also have an incandescent light bulb in her room on the whole day which she likes a lot - she lays down by the bulb the whole day and it gives her a great boost in metabolism

I also give her a little bit of:

Pansterone (1/4 of a drop daily) - When I adopted her she was neutered - a small amount of DHEA seems to boost her mood
Estroban (1/4 of a drop daily)
Thorne's K2 (1/2 a drop daily)

Last edited:

Sefton10

Butter Croissants
White Rice
Steak
NOW foods gelatin (I mix the powder with pineapple juice and it turns into a consistency that is easy for her to digest)
Coffee
Mexican Coke
Pineapple
Watermelon
Orange Juice
Tangerine Juice
Carrot once a day

Although she doesn't like drinking Orange Juice or Tangerine Juice alone, she does look a lot healthier when she gets it in so I usually giver her a piece of croissant or some rice that I let absorb the Orange Juice or Tangerine Juice.

I also have an incandescent light bulb in her room on the whole day which she likes a lot - she lays down by the bulb the whole day and it gives her a great boost in metabolism

Pansterone (1/4 of a drop daily) - When I adopted her she was neutered - a small amount of DHEA seems to boost her mood
This is surely a wind up :tearsofjoy:

Butter Croissants
White Rice
Hash Browns
Steak and/or Ground Beef
Coffee
Mexican Coke
Pineapple
Watermelon
Orange Juice
Tangerine Juice
Carrot once a day

super helpful, thank you