Doesn't This Ray Peat Quote Apply To Taurine?

Nicholas

"Even if free amino acids could be produced industrially without introducing toxins and allergens, they wouldn't be appropriate for nutritional use.

Although some research shows that babies up to the age of 18 months can assimilate free amino acids, a baby formula containing hydrolyzed protein was associated with decreased serum albumin, which suggests that it interfered with protein synthesis.

The myth that free amino acids are “natural nutritional substances” has been used to promote the use of many products besides MSG, including aspartame, chelated minerals, and tryptophan.

Although several amino acids can be acutely or chronically toxic, even lethal, when too much is eaten, tryptophan is the only amino acid that is also carcinogenic." - Ray Peat

when i stopped taking it i developed massive protein cravings, which is concerning - especially about the interference with "protein synthesis"

haidut

Forum Supporter
Nicholas said:
post 111322 "Even if free amino acids could be produced industrially without introducing toxins and allergens, they wouldn't be appropriate for nutritional use.

Although some research shows that babies up to the age of 18 months can assimilate free amino acids, a baby formula containing hydrolyzed protein was associated with decreased serum albumin, which suggests that it interfered with protein synthesis.

The myth that free amino acids are “natural nutritional substances” has been used to promote the use of many products besides MSG, including aspartame, chelated minerals, and tryptophan.

Although several amino acids can be acutely or chronically toxic, even lethal, when too much is eaten, tryptophan is the only amino acid that is also carcinogenic." - Ray Peat

when i stopped taking it i developed massive protein cravings, which is concerning - especially about the interference with "protein synthesis"

I think he means the essential amino acids used as food replacement. Single amino acids have hormone-like effects and he has said several times that if people can find pure sources of taurine or glycine he is not against using them. The same quote above could be applied to vitamins and pretty much any food extract that contains an isolated substance. In some cases, it is beneficial to increase the uptake of an isolate substance.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Nicholas

Nicholas

haidut said:
post 111382
Nicholas said:
post 111322 "Even if free amino acids could be produced industrially without introducing toxins and allergens, they wouldn't be appropriate for nutritional use.

I think he means the essential amino acids used as food replacement. Single amino acids have hormone-like effects and he has said several times that if people can find pure sources of taurine or glycine he is not against using them. The same quote above could be applied to vitamins and pretty much any food extract that contains an isolated substance. In some cases, it is beneficial to increase the uptake of an isolate substance.

like soylent as food replacement. i wasn't aware that he had spoken about taurine and glycine supplements. thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

goodandevil

How do you feel about casein? My gf has started whey/casein drinks in the morning. I know the try isn't good, but im hoping th3 increased protein will be worth it for the time being.

sladerunner69

Consider the difference in the manufacturing process, specifically contamination control, when comparing a substance like MSG with taurine. Both are broadly referred to as amino-acids, but the former is produced in an open air large factory along with who knows what other chemicals with relatively little inspection, while the ladder is produced by a small supplement/vitamin supplier lab.

haidut

Forum Supporter
How do you feel about casein? My gf has started whey/casein drinks in the morning. I know the try isn't good, but im hoping th3 increased protein will be worth it for the time being.

Casein, if pure, should be fine. Whey is acidic and promotes the stress-reaction, while casein inhibits it.

johnwester130

no one uses protein supplements as food replacements though.

Bodybuilders might.

but most of us will be eating ice cream, shellfish, gelatin, potatoes etc

Agent207

Don't you use sugar as food? why not milk protein?

Nowadays I prefer 1 million times a good whey protein (and raw cheese for the casein) over that thing called milk at the stores.

milk_lover

Don't you use sugar as food? why not milk protein?

Nowadays I prefer 1 million times a good whey protein (and raw cheese for the casein) over that thing called milk at the stores.
Well that milk gives you respectful amounts of your daily needs of calcium. I don't see the harm behind low-fat commercial milk as most of the nasty things, if there are any, are probably in the fat like bad hormones.

Agent207

Well that milk gives you respectful amounts of your daily needs of calcium. I don't see the harm behind low-fat commercial milk as most of the nasty things, if there are any, are probably in the fat like bad hormones.

No way, its not just the fat.. its all the messy processing they do to a high biologically and delicated product that is the milk, I speak for the big factories, not local farmers. If you can store it at the shelves for weeks at room temp, then that its not milk period.

I say this bc I know a person that work in one of that big dairies; you woud creep out if you'd know; its not just the chemical reaction when molecules are heated so high for storing and productivity, they also use to powder it and then reconstituting, adding sh*t not required to label... etc, then they show you at commercials how "healthy" his product is, with happy cows pasturing in the meadows.... You only see macros and numbers like protein CHECK!! calcium CHECK!!... then OK. For me food -specially foods like milk- are much more than that; a great food when true, a residual poison otherwise.

I buy it from time to time to a farmer from other municipality, raw from pastured cows, to not forget what true milk tastes. But just sometimes since its expensive due to the higher cost of sanity and hygiene conditions and the cold-chain from the milking to home delivery required for raw milk producing. If I lived near a farmer I would drink it more often. Cheese and a quality whey protein for me is the next most practical choice.

Pasteurized (161°F-72°C) low fat is OK too, but I don't even find pasteurized low fat where I live.. maybe you do

Last edited:

FiveAsh

I have good results from supplementing taurine lately. It seems to have imporved my tolerance to stress and enhanced my sense of smell

Peat is against almost all supplements over the long haul because he observed that they end up not helping and often hurting, and he attributes this to poor manufacturing practices, impurities, etc.

He has said that salt and vitamin E are probably the safest supplements.

I think collagen in the long run for most people is safer than glycine for this reason. Taurine is probably fine for awhile, but over the years I wouldn't want to keep taking it. All this stuff is made in China and let's face it, we really don't have a good handle of what's in it.

whit

[QUOTetatichamster, post: 167976, member: 3389"]Peat is against almost all supplements over the long haul because he observed that they end up not helping and often hurting, and he attributes this to poor manufacturing practices, impurities, etc.

He has said that salt and vitamin E are probably the safest supplements.

I think collagen in the long run for most people is safer than glycine for this reason. Taurine is probably fine for awhile, but over the years I wouldn't want to keep taking it. All this stuff is made in China and let's face it, we really don't have a good handle of what's in it.[/QUOTE]

Yea, there's a good reasoning here. I believe in cycling supplements just to give relevance to what they're doing. Some things only work as a stepping stone.
Whole foods are best though. It can be hard to tell what may be causing a certain reaction when we assume certain substances are allways safe.

amethyst

I wish I could handle taurine, but it made me nauseous.

magnesiumania

I wish I could handle taurine, but it made me nauseous.
Could be you over produce bile? Start low and build up? Bile is an acid that in excess can damage the gut lining etc...taurine only made me naeseous if i took 2g first time in awhile.