Does Your Body Have A Carbon Dioxide Reserve?

Such_Umami

I heard either Roddy or Peat talking about how the body has a reserve of carbon dioxide. Is this true and can I find any resources with more information on this?

Hans

Forum Supporter
Bicarbonate in the body can convert into CO2 when needed, so that serves as a reserve, but I don't think the body stores CO2. It's constantly being expired.

lampofred

I think Peat said our bones are a reserve-buffer of carbon dioxide.

OP
Such_Umami

Such_Umami

There's interesting. Also sodium bicarb being an alkaline and c02 being an acid. It makes me wonder if the ratio of the two has anything to do with the respiratory response given that it's driven by PH.

Hans

Forum Supporter
There's interesting. Also sodium bicarb being an alkaline and c02 being an acid. It makes me wonder if the ratio of the two has anything to do with the respiratory response given that it's driven by PH.
Acidity to stimulate respiration, but due to the improved oxygenation induced by high CO2, respiration is actually slower and deeper.
Lactic acid and serotonin promote breathing and hyperventilation which remove too much CO2 from the blood and can induce acidity. Peat mentioned something along the lines of lactic acid promotes acidity and not CO2.