Does Weight Lifting Stunt Growth?

Josh

I posted recently about stunting growth etc, just wondering real quick what all your opinions are of doing weights and it stunting growth? I was thinking about things like squat, overhead press etc mainly, lifts where the bar is ‘on top of the spine’ and can compress it or whatever? Or any sort of weight training for that matter..

I should imagine as long as form is correct then no issues?

Or is there a way to mitigate it? Someone said hanging from a bar to decompress the spine??
Like said previously i’m 21 now so unlikely i’ll grow much now but i’m trying different things so hoping for anything rn and don’t wanna jeopardise it with lifts if that is a thing?

I am not an excessive weight lifter, i don't go crazy, but i absolutely love it, it leaves me feeling great, i do it mid day and the rest of the day i feel so much more grounded.

Peater

No, if anything it will help. This stunting growth meme has been doing the rounds for decades. Apparently some people live in a cartoon physics world.

Jing

Supposedly not but I'm a few inches shorter than my older brother , from the age of around 12 I went through periods of lifting heavy weights 2-3 months then off for maybe a year then 2-3 months again , heavy squats, deadlifts , overhead press . I ate more food and ate better food than my brother and got more sunlight so really I should of been taller so maybe lifting weights did stunt my growth who knows ..

redsun

I posted recently about stunting growth etc, just wondering real quick what all your opinions are of doing weights and it stunting growth? I was thinking about things like squat, overhead press etc mainly, lifts where the bar is ‘on top of the spine’ and can compress it or whatever? Or any sort of weight training for that matter..

I should imagine as long as form is correct then no issues?

Or is there a way to mitigate it? Someone said hanging from a bar to decompress the spine??
Like said previously i’m 21 now so unlikely i’ll grow much now but i’m trying different things so hoping for anything rn and don’t wanna jeopardise it with lifts if that is a thing?

I am not an excessive weight lifter, i don't go crazy, but i absolutely love it, it leaves me feeling great, i do it mid day and the rest of the day i feel so much more grounded.

Very heavy weightlifting and strenous cardio type exercises during teenage years increases demand for proteins and minerals which is what you are made of. So if the diet is barely adequate to begin with in amino acids and minerals and a child or if older (like you) works out like he's trying to be a world class athlete, this will likely stunt growth through this mechanism.

I do not agree with the idea of the increased stress on the spine or any of that, moderate resistance exercise at a young age is good for bone density and can increase growth hormones which may actually help increase height.

mrchibbs

Very heavy weightlifting and strenous cardio type exercises during teenage years increases demand for proteins and minerals which is what you are made of. So if the diet is barely adequate to begin with in amino acids and minerals and a child or if older (like you) works out like he's trying to be a world class athlete, this will likely stunt growth through this mechanism.

I do not agree with the idea of the increased stress on the spine or any of that, moderate resistance exercise at a young age is good for bone density and can increase growth hormones which may actually help increase height.

I was *heavily* training for basketball between 15-20 y.old. to the point of puking, passing out a couple times, and I think it contributed to an hypothyroid state with time. (mostly because I had an insane coach who had us do 5 hour workouts and made us run suicides after games.

Basketball itself was never stressful, because I enjoyed it, and even sprinting, or weight lifting was fine. The endless cardio was a load of garbage and never made me feel good, in fact I was always tired and my leg muscles wouldn't work properly, and it took me weeks to recover. Obviously now I know I was hypo and couldn't retain magnesium.

At 21, you can still grow. Until 25, there's still a lot of potential. There's plenty of instances of growth in your 20s. Your best bet is optimizing thyroid function, as thyroid hormone is intimately link with growth of bones. I've seen pictures of thyroid making cretins grow in their 30s. (of course they had severe thyroid deficiency). Maybe avoid heavy squats because that compresses your spine and can make you 1-2inch shorter (I experienced this myself, I recovered from that somewhat). I think deadlifts are great exercises, but especially so for the trap bar deadlift.

Anything which is not enjoyable, will not be helpful. If you join a cross-fit clubs and you train with friends and you enjoy it, great! If you want to play tennis, or any sport that you enjoy, great! Martial arts are good too.

Quelsatron

if you're healthy I would say to lift as much as you want keeping peatyness in mind, the risk of stunting growth at 21 is probably miniscule, and getting jacked as soon as possible outweighs the 1% chance of losing a potential centimeter.

On the topic, I wonder if it's ever possible to restart growth in a structured way without doing some very advanced biotechnological magic, or if the sealing of the growth plates is some sort of phase that the body never desires to restart, like with milk teeth

mrchibbs

if you're healthy I would say to lift as much as you want keeping peatyness in mind, the risk of stunting growth at 21 is probably miniscule, and getting jacked as soon as possible outweighs the 1% chance of losing a potential centimeter.

On the topic, I wonder if it's ever possible to restart growth in a structured way without doing some very advanced biotechnological magic, or if the sealing of the growth plates is some sort of phase that the body never desires to restart, like with milk teeth

Getting *jacked* is not a automatic goal for all guys. But I do believe healthy people probably have less chance to keep growing after 20. Broda Barnes mentioned that thyroid hormone is involved in ''sealing'' growth plates. And the evidence of regrowth among hypothyroid cretins is astounding, so maybe it is only possible for hypothyroid people. But then again, the vast majority of the population is hypo to some degree, so there's reason to hope for good things when you fix that fundamental problem, even past 25.

Ableton

I think the apt i developed in my teens stunted my growth a bit
Poor posture will do that to you
This is always a possibility. Even if you think your form is correct, it might not

OP
J

Josh

Thanks all for the input!!!!

@mrchibbs Really man? Can still grow up to 25?? I've been really thinking of taking NDT recently. I did bloods last year around april time and my TSH was like 1.2 and serum free T4 was like 13.5 (11-25 range).. But i have come on leaps and bounds since last year, sleep everything has improved massively. Even test was 17 last year but now its 29 (8-29 range).. so i'm not sure, if one is to illicit growth at my age, would Thyroid be the best way? IS there anything else one can take?

mrchibbs

Thanks all for the input!!!!

@mrchibbs Really man? Can still grow up to 25?? I've been really thinking of taking NDT recently. I did bloods last year around april time and my TSH was like 1.2 and serum free T4 was like 13.5 (11-25 range).. But i have come on leaps and bounds since last year, sleep everything has improved massively. Even test was 17 last year but now its 29 (8-29 range).. so i'm not sure, if one is to illicit growth at my age, would Thyroid be the best way? IS there anything else one can take?

I've seen accounts and personal examples of people growing well into their 20s. And it's accepted that there is growth of tissues until at least 25 if you're healthy. And in the literature, thyroid is able to make people grow well past 25.

So yeah, try your hardest to improve thyroid, and maybe you'll grow. Don't complain it doesn't happen if you don't do it.

YourUniverse

I think a fast metabolism stunts growth.

Nathan hatch wrote his theories on height, mostly, lots of calcium, lots of protein, and ... lots of swimming. He thinks the regular exposure to chlorine slowed his thyroid, and the protein and calcium gave his body what it needed to grow.

I was always told to avoid caffeine because it would stunt my growth. We know caffeine will raise metabolism. Heavy training can simulate a fast metabolism. If Nathan's theory is true, maybe it can actually make you shorter.

mrchibbs

I think a fast metabolism stunts growth.

Nathan hatch wrote his theories on height, mostly, lots of calcium, lots of protein, and ... lots of swimming. He thinks the regular exposure to chlorine slowed his thyroid, and the protein and calcium gave his body what it needed to grow.

I was always told to avoid caffeine because it would stunt my growth. We know caffeine will raise metabolism. Heavy training can simulate a fast metabolism. If Nathan's theory is true, maybe it can actually make you shorter.

''A fast metabolism stunts growth''? What?! People grow when their metabolism are at their peak...what a dubious claim.

The chloride harming his thyroid that I can see definitely however. Much like fluoride affects thyroid function.

Last edited:

YourUniverse

''A fast metabolism stunts growth''? What?! People grow when their metabolism are at their peak...what a dubious claim.
I think along the lines of what @redsun wrote. Strenuous exercise (like a fast metab) uses and depletes raw materials, like vitamins, minerals, and aminos, more quickly. I dont think it's impossible to grow tall with a fast metabolism but I think it's more difficult, and more expensive.

I think all the conditions of abnormal growth are related in some way to hypothyroidism. For example, acromegaly. There's also the stereotype of the big guy being "slower", which I think was part of Andre the Giant's shtick, and sort of replicated in Game of Thrones' Hodor. I tend to find a pinch of truth in humor and in stereotype.. a fairly pseudoscientific response, im aware

mrchibbs

I think along the lines of what @redsun wrote. Strenuous exercise (like a fast metab) uses and depletes raw materials, like vitamins, minerals, and aminos, more quickly. I dont think it's impossible to grow tall with a fast metabolism but I think it's more difficult, and more expensive.

I think all the conditions of abnormal growth are related in some way to hypothyroidism. For example, acromegaly. There's also the stereotype of the big guy being "slower", which I think was part of Andre the Giant's shtick, and sort of replicated in Game of Thrones' Hodor. I tend to find a pinch of truth in humor and in stereotype.. a fairly pseudoscientific response, im aware

Thyroid seems to be intimately involved in growing (and the epiphyseal plate), and it isn't purely about ramping up metabolism, it is an hormone of metabolic efficiency, which means we can do more with the same amount of nutrition. It can of course lead to individuals who are taller than they should be, in inappropriate proportions (Adelle Davis mentioned this, it can lead to tall individuals with underdeveloped genitals for example), but it can also limit the growth potential of someone's phenotype. I think the evidence of what it can do to severely hypothyroid people who are short and cretins is incentive enough to focus on it.

Actively wanting a lower metabolism is unfathomable to me.

YourUniverse

To me too, and that's not what I was advocating, FWIW. We're all here trying to maximize our metabolisms, for all the benefits a fast metab offers, but also with the understanding that our nutrient requirements will be higher.

Does caffeine stunt growth? My dad is 6'6", and I was a bit chubby growing up. My doctor assured my family that I showed all the signs of hitting a "growth spurt" like my dad did in his mid teens.

I never hit that spurt, and ended up 6'0" (I'm not complaining, btw). I abused red bull when it first came out, against my parents advice, and I cant help thinking it played a role in "shortening" me. I wasn't particularly health conscious then, so my diet was surely lacking protein and minerals. Could be many things, I'm aware, but I cant help but think about the effect of the caffeine abuse

redsun

Thyroid seems to be intimately involved in growing (and the epiphyseal plate), and it isn't purely about ramping up metabolism, it is an hormone of metabolic efficiency, which means we can do more with the same amount of nutrition. It can of course lead to individuals who are taller than they should be, in inappropriate proportions, but it can also limit the growth potential of someone's phenotype. I think the evidence of what it can do to severely hypothyroid people is incentive enough to focus on it.

It seems at least by a quick search, hyperthyroidism is a cause for tall stature. But I also read that this causes tall stature early on in puberty but compromised full adult height. Early puberty, and acromegaly (growth hormone excess) are also causes. So not really clear to me what really goes on.

But yes I genuinely think of the metabolism is raised too much and this increases pressure on the body to provide fuel and nutrients, it affects growth. Somehow I doubt normal doses of caffeine could do this, but regardless I dont think anyone especially growing teens should take caffeine if they can avoid it.

redsun

I never hit that spurt, and ended up 6'0" (I'm not complaining, btw). I abused red bull when it first came out, against my parents advice, and I cant help thinking it played a role in "shortening" me. I wasn't particularly health conscious then, so my diet was surely lacking protein and minerals. Could be many things, I'm aware, but I cant help but think about the effect of the caffeine abuse

If you abused caffeine a lot and diet was also very poor, it strains the body making it less willing to grow because of lack of nutrients. So in your case its a very real possibility. But in the end we can never know for sure.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals