Does Weight Lifting Have Effect On Anabolic Androgenic Ratio?

PUTFOT

Hi. Do you think that working out regularly (weight lifting) and long-term a few times a week increases the anabolic to androgenic ratio a lot which in turn lessens androgenic effects such as beard growth , etc.?

mujuro

No. If anything I think it would increase androgenic characteristics, depending on the intensity.

OP
P

PUTFOT

No. If anything I think it would increase androgenic characteristics, depending on the intensity.
Yeah it does, but my question was regarding the ratio between anabolic and androgenic.

TubZy

Weight lifting increases DHT which one of the most powerful androgens which is a good thing so androgenic activity in general will be greater. Anabolic activity also increases with weight lifting too so I'm not sure if the ratios would be altered but just maybe increased.

mujuro

A:A ratio is a pharmacological term referring to the growth of muscle vs prostate in mice (usually the levator ani muscle). It's not a very refined metric, and it refers to the androgen's activity in muscle tissue vs 5AR target tissues. A:A ratio in the context of exercise isn't very applicable because you're not introducing new androgens with different pharmacological profiles. Endogenous androgens will go up if you exercise regularly (and probably go down if you exercise excessively), and you will gain muscle, but that's all that can be said. Some people get healthier from weight training (favourable metabolism of androgens) and some get worse (unfavourable metabolism). Similarly, some will experience androgenic changes, but I find it hard to believe anyone will experience a reduction in androgenic activity. I'd say the A:A remains 1:1 because that is the defined value for T, unless you start introducing things like DHEA, androsterone, 5aDHP, etc.

Last edited:
OP
P

PUTFOT

Does work out increase dht in muscle and lower it in tissue?

sladerunner69

Yes of course it does. it increases androgenic sensitivity of the neurons and nerves- it is the only thing that is reliably known to have this effect.

mujuro

Does work out increase dht in muscle and lower it in tissue?

Well that would depend on factors that are regulating steroid enzymes in their respective tissues. The 5AR enzyme is very scarce in skeletal muscle from what I remember. It's also not anabolic in muscle like T is, but it does affect motor neurons. There's no way to say definitively "Yes, working out will increase muscle anabolism whilst also reducing whole body DHT activity." Everyone is different and we handle stressors differently.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals