Does vitamin K supplementation deplete vitamin E?

Dr. B

I don't understand how you came to the conclusion that it is very dangerous and that one must drop all MK-4 supplementation.
The RDA is usually for the MK-7 form, which is in the microgram range.
One generally shouldn't supplement Vitamin E anyway and I don't know where you heard it being recommended multiple times on here.
Besides the study is from 2008 when a lot of understanding on it was not formed, and it is mostly hypothetical. I think a more modern study would be more relevent in showing the dangers.

Maybe just not taking Vitamin E and K2 on the same day. That's it.
I don't think Vitamin E supplementation is physiological honestly.
im going off what the previous person stated. if those claims on K2 are correct it is clearly dangerous. At a bare minimum, if supplementing its better to do a smaller dose comparable to whats found in foods. the RDA is used for K1, Mk7, and MK4 interchangeably. its around 100mcg or 120mcg... but there are no food items which can provide milligram doses of MK7 or MK4.
if you search vitamin E you will find many threads on it. I dont understand how you can say you havent heard of vitamin E being recommended around here when Ray has written articles about vitamin E. Its probably one of the most popular Peaty supplements, theres even one article where Peat says he doesnt recommend any supplements besides vitamin E and salt. There is some benefit to its usage when PUFA is involved, either stored or consumed.

Dr. B

Several milligram doses of Vitamin K are typically used for therapeutic purposes. Masterjohn didn’t define what he meant by high doses but in that guide he previously talked about high dose as 45 mg as used in some clinical trials.

Vitamin E is important to prevent excessive lipid peroxidation if you eat PUFA (everyone does to some extent) amd it’s also an important part of the antioxidant defense system.

Typically zinc and magnesium supplements would be used if your diet is not sufficient (use Cronometer to check).

Vitamin D supplements can be helpful if you don’t or can’t get outside in the sun regularly.

Yeah with regards to K2 even 1.5mg to 2mg is a dose higher than what any foods would provide. with zinc and magnesium, theres some debate, some claim you need a lot of magnesium because its depleted from the food supply. zinc could be useful if youre eating liver and organ meats but not eating any ground meats or oysters.

Belsazar

I remember Peat only talked about supplemental VitaminK2MK4 in context of Aspirin (1mg per 500mg Aspirin or so) - And in context of being depleted by Vitamin E (destroyed his teeth or so?) - And in context of antibiotics (killing K1 to K2 conversion by gut microbiome)? I can't remember him talking much about MK7 (maybe he mentioned natto once). Correct me if I forgot something. Did he ever talk about high dose MK4 supplementation?

Dr. B

I remember Peat only talked about supplemental VitaminK2MK4 in context of Aspirin (1mg per 500mg Aspirin or so) - And in context of being depleted by Vitamin E (destroyed his teeth or so?) - And in context of antibiotics (killing K1 to K2 conversion by gut microbiome)? I can't remember him talking much about MK7 (maybe he mentioned natto once). Correct me if I forgot something. Did he ever talk about high dose MK4 supplementation?

wasnt that 1mg dosage in context of Aspirin, referring to K1? i think other people maybe asked him later on, or came to the conclusion based on other things Peat said, that K2 MK4 should be fine to fill in for K1 even though its not as efficient at blood clotting.

wow, so vitamin E supplementation is why Peats teeth are messed up? I have thornes Ultimate E but im really not sure about using it. its a huge dose.
i dont think he has ever talked about high dose supplementation of K2. he generally doesnt advise regularly supplementing with any nutrients or vitamins or amino acids. he told me isolated nutrients and vitamins always have a drug like effect and sometimes on a short term basis the drug effect outweighs the side effects but he doesnt advise using anything as a nutrient (meaning regularly to fill in diet gaps). i think he had an article referring to K2 in general saying it has an anti diabetic effect or lowers blood sugar or something like that.

Belsazar

wasnt that 1mg dosage in context of Aspirin, referring to K1? i think other people maybe asked him later on, or came to the conclusion based on other things Peat said, that K2 MK4 should be fine to fill in for K1 even though its not as efficient at blood clotting.

wow, so vitamin E supplementation is why Peats teeth are messed up? I have thornes Ultimate E but im really not sure about using it. its a huge dose.
i dont think he has ever talked about high dose supplementation of K2. he generally doesnt advise regularly supplementing with any nutrients or vitamins or amino acids. he told me isolated nutrients and vitamins always have a drug like effect and sometimes on a short term basis the drug effect outweighs the side effects but he doesnt advise using anything as a nutrient (meaning regularly to fill in diet gaps). i think he had an article referring to K2 in general saying it has an anti diabetic effect or lowers blood sugar or something like that.
In regards of Vitamin K, there are discussions on the board which form he actually means. I usually thought he refers to K2MK4.
Well don't quote me on the Vitamin E one, but I believe he mentioned it on a KMUD show.