Does Vitamin E Deplete Vitamin A? Looking For Clarification

michael94

Obviously the fat solubles need to be in some sort of balance, but I was looking specifically for a source on Vitamin E depleting Vitamin A or intefering with Vitamin A on some level that requires higher Vit A intakes. I couldn't find any sources/studies showing that so looking for a bit of clarification! Thanks

@haidut maybe you know

Stilgar

I asked Ray a similar question, as I wondered why I felt like I needed so much vitamin A. I wasn't taking any vitamin E at the time, and since taking it, I haven't needed so much A. Ray stated that vitamin E enhances the use of vitamin A in his response:

A higher metabolic rate can increase your need for vitamin A considerably. Vitamin E spares vitamin A by preventing its oxidation. Vitamin D and K interact with it, too, so I think it’s important to make sure that you have enough of them. When I moved to Oregon I kept taking large amounts of A for several years, and I think it was mostly using vitamin E that reduced my need for it.

So I would guess he would say the opposite would be true - you would need less vitamin A if you had more E. Liver I have found to be a good way to get A rather than supplementing A, so that you get the E too, but I supplement E on top of that too.

haidut

Forum Supporter
E spares A but antagonizes K

This. Also, E protects A from oxidation since retinol is highly insaturated. Both E and A act on estrogen "receptors" in a synergistic way - i.e. both antagonize them and lower doses of both together can achieve what 3-5 fold higher doses of each separately can do.

I also believe that K2 and E are naturally diminishing each other's activities. I think this is VERY important.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/80/1/143.long

Results: Mean (± SD) PIVKA-II increased from 1.7 ± 1.7 to 11.9 ± 16.1 ng/mL (P < 0.001) in study A and from 1.8 ± 0.6 to 5.3 ± 3.9 ng/mL (P < 0.001) in study B in response to 12 wk of vitamin E supplementation. An increase in PIVKA-II is indicative of poor vitamin K status. In contrast, the other measures of vitamin K status (ie, plasma phylloquinone concentration and percentage of ucOC) did not change significantly in response to the supplementation.

Conclusions: High-dose vitamin E supplementation increased PIVKA-II in adults not receiving oral anticoagulant therapy. The clinical significance of these changes warrants further investigation, but high doses of vitamin E may antagonize vitamin K. Whether such an interaction is potentially beneficial or harmful remains to be determined.

Ulla

Somewhere else I read that statement:
Vitamin K | Linus Pauling Institute | Oregon State University

"Large doses of vitamin A and vitamin E have been found to antagonize vitamin K (8). Excess vitamin A appears to interfere with vitamin K absorption, whereas vitamin E may inhibit vitamin K-dependent carboxylase activity and interfere with the coagulation cascade (99)"
I noticed that last few months I have regular nose bleeding and I don't take aspirin.
I supplement Vit K2+D3 (Thorne) and vitamin E (400-800 IU) daily.

I was really confused why I am having nose bleeds and after reading these things everything became logical.

So probably I should quit with vit E for awhile or maybe increased vit K?
But I don't wanna manipulate with vitamins too much...

Ulla

I take 3 drops of Thorne's Vit D+K in the morning which is approximately 0,33 mg vitamin K and 1500 IU vit D.
Supplementing Vit E 400-800 IU. I take 2 capsules (800 IU) lately because I am in the pufa depletion phase so I really want to have covered that.
I don't take Aspirin, or vit A but I do eat lots mushrooms (vit D) and kiwi fruit(vit K1)...
I am waiting for vit A to arrive these days.
I should probably wait with it and stop with everything for a week or maybe two so things settle down.
What do you think?

Last edited:

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I take 3 drops of Thorne's Vit D+K in the morning which is approximately 0,33 mg vitamin K and 1500 IU vit D.
Supplementing Vit E 400-800 IU. I take 2 capsules (800 IU) lately because I am in the pufa depletion phase so I really want to have covered that.
I don't take Aspirin, or vit A but I do eat lots mushrooms (vit D) and kiwi fruit(vit K1)...
I am waiting for vit A to arrive these days.
I should probably wait with it and stop with everything for a week or maybe two so things settle down.
What do you think?
I've stopped all supplements a couple times and found it helpful just to reassess how my needs may have changed. Especially when you consider they are fat soluble vitamins I'm sure stopping for a week or two would be perfectly fine.

Ulla

I stopped vitamin E for one week. In meantime I took vitamin K only once. 3 drops of Thorne.
My nose bleeding disappeared.
Two days ago I took vitamin E, 400 IU, and one day later - 24h - I noticed nose bleeding.

I think I will be taking vitamin E only 2-3 times a week from now on.

Question that came to my mind:
If nose bleeding occurs with vit E, would that mean that the dose is sufficient? That there is enough/too much vit E in our body?

Last edited:
T

tobieagle

I made the same experience with vitamin E alone.
It triggers nose bleeds, when taken too much.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals