Does Vitamin E Chelate/Lower Iron Or Just Protect Against Excess?

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
Hey Peat fans,

I was curious to know whether:

Vitamin E acts as a direct chelator of Iron or just protect (Anti-oxidant capacity) against the pro-oxidative nature of Iron.

I have found only studies supporting the hypothesis that it simply protects against Iron excess.

I don't know the biochemistry but I remember seeing this post by a forum member whose iron levels were reduced after taking a supplement, and he and Haidut suggested the possibility that the vitamin E in the supplement was the primary cause, although later a different explanation was given by the forum member (see the linked post and the immediate reply):
Lowering Iron (chelation) May Stop Alzheimer Disease (AD)

There is also this study but I don't know if it answers your question:
Vitamin E is protective against iron toxicity and iron-induced hepatic vitamin E depletion in mice. - PubMed - NCBI

OP
Lokzo

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
I had a look at this. Thank you.

I guess it does have potential to deplete Iron/Ferritin, so I will need to monitor my levels very cautiously with blood tests.

I really like how I feel on Vitamin E supplementation. An incredible grounding feeling.

I don't know the biochemistry but I remember seeing this post by a forum member whose iron levels were reduced after taking a supplement, and he and Haidut suggested the possibility that the vitamin E in the supplement was the primary cause, although later a different explanation was given by the forum member (see the linked post and the immediate reply):
Lowering Iron (chelation) May Stop Alzheimer Disease (AD)

There is also this study but I don't know if it answers your question:
Vitamin E is protective against iron toxicity and iron-induced hepatic vitamin E depletion in mice. - PubMed - NCBI

burtlancast

The concentration of vitamin E in the liver was negatively correlated with dietary iron concentration (r = 0.998). Weekly administration of vitamin E (20 mg/kg, subcutaneously) prevented iron-induced liver damage without altering hepatic iron stores.

the protective effects of vitamin E observed in this study did not involve enhanced elimination of excess iron, because vitamin E treatment did not alter the hepatic concentrations of iron. This implies that the protective effect of vitamin E is associated with its antioxidant action at the site of iron storage in the liver. Because vitamin E treatment did not enhance elimination of iron, it also had no effect on the iron-induced increase in liver weight. The association between iron-induced liver vitamin E depletion and accompanying liver damage after exposure of mice to excess dietary iron suggests that iron-induced vitamin E depletion may play a role in the pathogenesis of chronic iron toxicity and diseases associated with iron overload.

There's your answer, from the article.

Supplementing Vit E will not lower liver iron stores, while supplementing with iron will lower liver Vit E stores.

Last edited: