Does tying the hair back into a bun or ponytail reduce serotonin relative to wearing the hair down ?

CurrieGirl

Native Americans believe that hair is an extension of the nervous system therefore long hair makes them keenly sensitive and connected to the outside environment.

Below is an interesting quote by Yogi Bhajan.
Yogi Bhajan was the wealthy Indian emigrant and guru who introduced Kundalini Yoga to the United States. On the topic of cutting one’s hair, he said:

Our hair fashions might be just a trend, but if we investigate, we may find that we have been depriving ourselves of one of the most valuable sources of energy for human vitality… When the hair on your head is allowed to attain its full, mature length, then phosphorous, calcium, and vitamin D are all produced, and enter the lymphatic fluid, and eventually the spinal fluid through the two ducts on the top of the brain. This ionic change creates more efficient memory and leads to greater physical energy, improved stamina, and patience… Your hair is not there by mistake. It has a definite purpose, which saints will discover and other men will laugh at.

I have long hair and I will never cut it again. I love wearing it down but for practical purposes I need to put it in a pony tail when I'm at the gym, hiking, walking the dog, etc, etc. As a massage therapist, I need to put my hair up at work not only to keep it out of the way but also to look professional. As the OP stated, free flowing long hair is more attractive and sexy and that's not the look I'm going for at my job.....LOL. On a few occasions I've had my hair down at work and there is definitely a subtle, different energetic response from my clients.