Does Tropical Weather Inhibit Metabolism?

hei

Peat wrote that people with hypothyroidism often experience relief after moving to the tropics as the heat load augments or reduces the need for endogenous heat production.
Is it possible that this also operates in reverse, as in, the environmental heat load is so great that the body lowers its metabolism to avoid producing excess body heat, inadvertently causing the hypothyroid health problems?

I live in the tropics and find the heat and sun utterly exhausting while also causing very poor sleep. People who have been here long-term tend to look unhealthy and weathered, and are often extremely intolerant of "cold": at temperatures in the 20s (ºC) they complain about being "freezing" and unable to warm up without going out in the sun, as if they have turned into lizards.

I also came across a quote from Peat where he mentions, in passing, lowering his use of thyroid because of environmental conditions: "When I had been in Florida and stopped using thyroid because of the heat and humidity, a 2 centimeter diameter mole (jumbo black olive-like) grew in front of my ear during 2 or 3 weeks. A soon as I returned to Oregon I started using thyroid, and the mole immediately began shrinking and fading. About two weeks later, the pale remnant on a dry stalk fell off, without leaving a scar. Since then I have generally recommended just becoming slightly hyperthyroid, " (RP Email Advice Comment: Moles)
It sounds to me like he stopped using thyroid for comfort reasons but didn't experience a hyperthyroid effect on his health due to the heat, only when he went home and began taking thyroid again. Is there any reason to think the body does not do something similar?

Last edited:

Vinny

Peat wrote that people with hypothyroidism often experience relief after moving to the tropics as the heat load augments or reduces the need for endogenous heat production.
Is it possible that this also operates in reverse, as in, the environmental heat load is so great that the body lowers its metabolism to avoid producing excess body heat, inadvertently causing the hypothyroid health problems?

I live in the tropics and find the heat and sun utterly exhausting while also causing very poor sleep. People who have been here long-term tend to look unhealthy and weathered, and are often extremely intolerant of "cold": at temperatures in the 20s (ºC) they complain about being "freezing" and unable to warm up without going out in the sun, as if they have turned into lizards.

I also came across a quote from Peat where he mentions, in passing, lowering his use of thyroid because of environmental conditions: "When I had been in Florida and stopped using thyroid because of the heat and humidity, a 2 centimeter diameter mole (jumbo black olive-like) grew in front of my ear during 2 or 3 weeks. A soon as I returned to Oregon I started using thyroid, and the mole immediately began shrinking and fading. About two weeks later, the pale remnant on a dry stalk fell off, without leaving a scar. Since then I have generally recommended just becoming slightly hyperthyroid, " (RP Email Advice Comment: Moles)
It sounds to me like he stopped using thyroid for comfort reasons but didn't experience a hyperthyroid effect on his health due to the heat, only when he went home and began taking thyroid again. Is there any reason to think the body does not do something similar?
I live in Cyprus and I also find the heat and sun utterly exhausting. So, yes, the body compensates to avoid overheating by lowering metabolizm. I'm planning to move in a moderate climate.

Michael Mohn

High air humidity prevents the body from releasing the heat produced by high metabolism via sweating into the environment. Therefore living in the tropics is blocking healthy metabolism. Most white people living in the tropics move into higher altitudes were the nights are cooler and climate is sometimes dryer. Peat told a story how he was in Florida and thyroid wouldn't work and he was just in agony.

LLight

High air humidity prevents the body from releasing the heat produced by high metabolism via sweating into the environment. Therefore living in the tropics is blocking healthy metabolism. Most white people living in the tropics move into higher altitudes were the nights are cooler and climate is sometimes dryer. Peat told a story how he was in Florida and thyroid wouldn't work and he was just in agony.
I live in Miami and it’s disgusting. Thinking of moving to Peru or Argentina eventually

Vinny

InChristAlone

I love it, I absolutely hated the winters up North. I mean no one spends all their time outdoors even in the North so I'm unsure why humidity would have such a bad effect on people if they mainly sit inside in air conditioning. Maybe it's not even the humidity, maybe the avoidance of it that causes problems. You do adapt to it the longer you force yourself to be in it. I remember when I was a teenager and went on vacation to Florida I don't remember ever feeling like I couldn't tolerate the humidity and that was in August the worst humidity and heat there is. We even went to Disney and walked around for an entire day. The older you are the more likely you can't tolerate heat. But what is it about aging that causes that? I think there's something missing in the theory.

lvysaur

yeah, I've experienced this. It's the humidity. appetite decreases too.

sileindigo

I’m currently trying to figure out some things related to this and my health. I moved from a cold climate (Wisconsin) to a very hot and humid one (Saipan- tropical island) and have noticed some improvements in my health (easy to stay warm, plenty of sun good for my mood) but I have really been struggling with feeling fatigued easily, skin issues like infections, acne and hives, and heat/humidity intolerance. I noticed that for myself and a friend, our skin issues really flare up during the rainy season, where it tends to be between 80-90% humidity at all times, versus the 70-80% during the hotter but drier season. I love it here otherwise. But these issues really seem to come down to humidity and I’m not sure how to mitigate that. Anyone have experience with this? I’ve been reading a bit about it and so far have noted that drinking too much liquid can be an issue if you’re hypo (hard not to do since I’m sweaty 24/7 in this climate and literally dripping sweat anytime I’m exerting myself physically which is multiple times daily), estrogen dominance can cause issues with cells and water (I might still be? I do take progesterone and am thinking to experiment with an increased dose) and the fact that Ray has mentioned having to stop thyroid supplements when he was in a similar climate (Florida) but I haven’t found the whole story on that one. Humid hot climates suppressing metabolism but also reading a few places already that people have had to stop taking thyroid in these climates, seems kind of like a no-win situation. I wonder which way to go on this? I feel like thyroid could definitely benefit me, and I did take Tyromax and Tyromax for awhile but did not notice any benefit and it seemed to coincide with my eyes getting really dry at night so I’ve since stopped all thyroid. I don’t have access to any other brands yet unfortunately. I would love to hear from others who live in hot, tropical areas and how they deal with the heat and humidity while maintaining optimal thyroid function. Thanks!!

Michael Mohn

Get an AC for the rainy season. Saipan goes up to 500m, maybe you can move higher. Over 300m the tropical climate starts to becomes more bearable, at least at night. I have spent 4 years in Malaysia, Indonesia and Thailand, the first year was great, a fan in my room was enough but after the 2nd year the humidity became so unbearable that I needed AC to sleep. Being small & thin helps to lose body heat via convection instead of transpiration. Wearing synthetics instead of cotton helps a lot but might have estrogenic effects.

Vinny

I’m currently trying to figure out some things related to this and my health. I moved from a cold climate (Wisconsin) to a very hot and humid one (Saipan- tropical island) and have noticed some improvements in my health (easy to stay warm, plenty of sun good for my mood) but I have really been struggling with feeling fatigued easily, skin issues like infections, acne and hives, and heat/humidity intolerance. I noticed that for myself and a friend, our skin issues really flare up during the rainy season, where it tends to be between 80-90% humidity at all times, versus the 70-80% during the hotter but drier season. I love it here otherwise. But these issues really seem to come down to humidity and I’m not sure how to mitigate that. Anyone have experience with this? I’ve been reading a bit about it and so far have noted that drinking too much liquid can be an issue if you’re hypo (hard not to do since I’m sweaty 24/7 in this climate and literally dripping sweat anytime I’m exerting myself physically which is multiple times daily), estrogen dominance can cause issues with cells and water (I might still be? I do take progesterone and am thinking to experiment with an increased dose) and the fact that Ray has mentioned having to stop thyroid supplements when he was in a similar climate (Florida) but I haven’t found the whole story on that one. Humid hot climates suppressing metabolism but also reading a few places already that people have had to stop taking thyroid in these climates, seems kind of like a no-win situation. I wonder which way to go on this? I feel like thyroid could definitely benefit me, and I did take Tyromax and Tyromax for awhile but did not notice any benefit and it seemed to coincide with my eyes getting really dry at night so I’ve since stopped all thyroid. I don’t have access to any other brands yet unfortunately. I would love to hear from others who live in hot, tropical areas and how they deal with the heat and humidity while maintaining optimal thyroid function. Thanks!!
As @Michael Mohn suggested, AC is the ONLY solution in humid climate I can think of. This is what keeps me out of serious trouble in Cyprus between July and November. Just invest in a good quality unit and you'll be more or less fine there. We can't adapt - no way. Every year gets worse and worse.

Herbie

On one of the lastest Danny Roddy, Georgi, Peat interview Ray said that healthy people would become sick if they moved to the tropics and hypo people would benefit.

InChristAlone

On one of the lastest Danny Roddy, Georgi, Peat interview Ray said that healthy people would become sick if they moved to the tropics and hypo people would benefit.
I have seen it being the opposite as well. Not black and white. Estrogen dominance can lead to feeling like you are going to overheat and get sick.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals