Does topical zinc get absorbed?

Motif

Is it absorbed?

like for people who use it on their scalp (zinc sulphate)

golder

Could anyone know who is quick or already familiar but roughly what % absorbtion would zinc topical be?

OP
M

Motif

Good question. And would it still interfere with copper?

Perry Staltic

Could anyone know who is quick or already familiar but roughly what % absorbtion would zinc topical be?

No idea, but I do know that some people got into trouble from using too much denture adhesive that contained zinc

Last edited:

cedric

Zinc can cause free radicals via Fenton reaction. Main zinc transporters are metalothionein (1/3 consists of cysteine). The other zinc ionophores are histidine/carnitine, boron citrate, EGCG, hinokitiol, pyrithion, quercitine, drugs like ivermectine, hydroxychloroquine, doxycycline.
Transdermal zinc doesn't affect copper absorption vie intestines in my opinion. They share the same transporter.
Microbes also need zinc.

OP
M

Motif

Zinc can cause free radicals via Fenton reaction. Main zinc transporters are metalothionein (1/3 consists of cysteine). The other zinc ionophores are histidine/carnitine, boron citrate, EGCG, hinokitiol, pyrithion, quercitine, drugs like ivermectine, hydroxychloroquine, doxycycline.
Transdermal zinc doesn't affect copper absorption vie intestines in my opinion. They share the same transporter.
Microbes also need zinc.

i just try to find a way to get my zinc and copper levels up. Somehow my body doesn’t absorb them it seems

L

LauriePartridge

Is it absorbed?

like for people who use it on their scalp (zinc sulphate)
I don't know about sulphate but oxide powder is for me big time. I used zinc oxide powder to make a topical salve and I felt like I overdosed on zinc with it. I got way strong zinc tastes in my mouth after using it. I got a large container of it (it's cheap) and it's non-nano and uncoated to use in skin care products. Holy cow, I felt like it should have had a skull and cross bones symbol on it it was so powerful. I felt like I poisoned myself and I only used a tiny bit. I just tucked it away after using it and am too afraid to use it again. I mixed like maybe a 1/4 teaspoon or less with lanolin ointment which I used for two to three days in a row. The problem is I'm not clever enough to figure out how much zinc I'm preparing. It just says "zinc oxide is a non-nano with a mesh size of 325 US mesh sieve." Say what?? I know that zinc oxide is reported to be 80 percent zinc so 100 mgs of zinc oxide is equivalent to 80 mgs of elemental zinc.

frannybananny

I don't know about sulphate but oxide powder is for me big time. I used zinc oxide powder to make a topical salve and I felt like I overdosed on zinc with it. I got way strong zinc tastes in my mouth after using it. I got a large container of it (it's cheap) and it's non-nano and uncoated to use in skin care products. Holy cow, I felt like it should have had a skull and cross bones symbol on it it was so powerful. I felt like I poisoned myself and I only used a tiny bit. I just tucked it away after using it and am too afraid to use it again. I mixed like maybe a 1/4 teaspoon or less with lanolin ointment which I used for two to three days in a row. The problem is I'm not clever enough to figure out how much zinc I'm preparing. It just says "zinc oxide is a non-nano with a mesh size of 325 US mesh sieve." Say what?? I know that zinc oxide is reported to be 80 percent zinc so 100 mgs of zinc oxide is equivalent to 80 mgs of elemental zinc.
Zinc oxide is the main ingredient in "acceptable" sunscreens that don't damage ocean reefs, flora and fauna. I use it alot and it actually has a healing effect on my skin. I, too, would be interested if someone knows how much is absorbed. Maybe I can stop taking my zinc supplements if using zinc oxide?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals