Does topical progesterone reach the brain

I am curious if anyone knows if topical progesterone such as progestene reaches the brain? I know that progesterone in the brain converts to allopregnanolone and may also be a calcium channel blocker, both of which reduce neural excitation. I know this occurs rapidly with oral progesterone, but levels are supratherapeutic and also uneven, which is not very physiologic.

I have optimized all that I can (diet, thyroid etc), but as a perimenopausal 48 year old women, have progesterone that is not optimal. I also have anxiety and insomnia. These are all much better with oral progesterone like prometrium (Progest-E for some reason doesn't quite do it for me, perhaps the dose). I am considering trying topical progestene to see if I can can stable brain levels and curious what people think.

golder

Does anyone think topically application to the side (temples) of the head would slightly increase the likelihood of this happening? Just a thought.

conrad0602

Does anyone think topically application to the side (temples) of the head would slightly increase the likelihood of this happening? Just a thought.
I've heard people mention this with pregnenolone so it could be worth a try with progesterone. Interesting idea.

Yes, of couse. But make sure to eat lots of carbs before bed because progesterone lowers a lot cortisol otherwise your sleep will be affected negatively. To enter into a coma state you must combine carbs + progesterone.

Korven

I'm pretty sure it does, when I apply progesterone in my navel/wrists/neck I get a noticeable 'brain progesterone high' about 3 minutes later.

OP
T
I'm pretty sure it does, when I apply progesterone in my navel/wrists/neck I get a noticeable 'brain progesterone high' about 3 minutes later.
I'm so glad to hear it, this is encouraging. I am going to keep trying!

OP
T
Yes, of couse. But make sure to eat lots of carbs before bed because progesterone lowers a lot cortisol otherwise your sleep will be affected negatively. To enter into a coma state you must combine carbs + progesterone.
Yikes. Well, my cortisol is always low normal. I guess maybe I have to just keep eating carbs.

OP
T
I think the nasal delivery system is the most direct entry into the brain. I wonder if applying the the nose would work?

Makrosky

You can snort it. I have done it with pregnenolone and many other substances. It reaches the brain.

Ildikó

I am curious if anyone knows if topical progesterone such as progestene reaches the brain? I know that progesterone in the brain converts to allopregnanolone and may also be a calcium channel blocker, both of which reduce neural excitation. I know this occurs rapidly with oral progesterone, but levels are supratherapeutic and also uneven, which is not very physiologic.

I have optimized all that I can (diet, thyroid etc), but as a perimenopausal 48 year old women, have progesterone that is not optimal. I also have anxiety and insomnia. These are all much better with oral progesterone like prometrium (Progest-E for some reason doesn't quite do it for me, perhaps the dose). I am considering trying topical progestene to see if I can can stable brain levels and curious what people think.
I know that it is quite a while since your post but i just came across it. I wonder what is the reason behind it, but Progest-e did not have any beneficial effect on my insomnia, but oral micronized progesterone @300 mg did help me sleep much better. I am 62, postmenopausal for over just over 10 years, had total hysterectomy 4 years ago. I am going through a second menopausa with night sweats and insomnia no matter how much sugar and salt i take. Not overweight, eating plenty of carrot salad and try to follow dr Peats dietary advices. I have tryed several doses, even high doses of Progest-e and it never helped for my insomnia unfortunately. I am also on low dose t4,t3.

I know that it is quite a while since your post but i just came across it. I wonder what is the reason behind it, but Progest-e did not have any beneficial effect on my insomnia, but oral micronized progesterone @300 mg did help me sleep much better. I am 62, postmenopausal for over just over 10 years, had total hysterectomy 4 years ago. I am going through a second menopausa with night sweats and insomnia no matter how much sugar and salt i take. Not overweight, eating plenty of carrot salad and try to follow dr Peats dietary advices. I have tryed several doses, even high doses of Progest-e and it never helped for my insomnia unfortunately. I am also on low dose t4,t3.
I am applying a very tiny drop of Progest-E between my eyes, and spreading it up onto my forehead. the last three days and it has been the best application for my sleep thus far. I use a lot less of it too, compared to the top of my hands. It must be going straight to my brain. I am going to keep this up as long as it keeps being beneficial.