Does Too Much Taurine Keep You Awake?

It may be making me feel like I have mild food poisoning and giving me insomnia. Includes some taurine from bulksupplements and two Red Bull's. Happened twice.

Rand56

Yes it can for me. I like to have a Rockstar or Red Bull on occasion. But for me, I can't drink one everyday, because if I do, about the 3rd day is when the insomnia kicks in.

Frankdee20

Yes it can for me. I like to have a Rockstar or Red Bull on occasion. But for me, I can't drink one everyday, because if I do, about the 3rd day is when the insomnia kicks in.

Taurine gives me no insomnia problems, but it has been linked to increased Acetylcholine, besides CNS inhibitory activity. Perhaps that can throw you off.

AretnaP

Just take it a little sooner in the day?

Doesn't taurine have a really short half-life anyway?

Frankdee20

S
Just take it a little sooner in the day?

Doesn't taurine have a really short half-life anyway?

See I wish they're was a long term GABA augmentation solution besides Progesterone. I like Taurine, too much will make me hungry though.

Diokine

Taurine decreases the binding affinity of glycine to the NMDA receptor 10 fold. Definitely something to consider with insomnia.

Modes of direct modulation by taurine of the glutamate NMDA receptor in rat cortex
In addition, taurine reduced the apparent affinity of the NMDA receptor for glycine (in the presence of spermine) by 10-fold. These results show that taurine interacts directly with the NMDA receptor by multiple mechanisms.

@Frankdee20

Tulsi tea is a relatively safe GABAergic substance

Rosmarinic acid - Wikipedia
Rosmarinic acid is a potential anxiolytic as it acts as a GABA transaminase inhibitor, more specifically on 4-aminobutyrate transaminase.[11]Rosmarinic acid also inhibits the expression of indoleamine 2,3-dioxygenase via its cyclooxygenase-inhibiting properties.[12]

Oleanolic acid - Wikipedia
An extremely potent synthetic triterpenoid analog of oleanolic acid was found in 2005, that is a powerful inhibitor of cellular inflammatory processes. They work by the induction by IFN-γ of inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) and of cyclooxygenase 2 in mouse macrophages. They are extremely potent inducers of the phase 2 response (e.g., elevation of NADH-quinone oxidoreductase and heme oxygenase 1), which is a major protector of cells against oxidative and electrophile stress.[8]

Ursolic acid - Wikipedia

In mice, ursolic acid induces neural regeneration after sciatic nerve injury.[12] Ursolic acid improves domoic acid-induced cognitive deficits in mice.[13]

Frankdee20

Taurine decreases the binding affinity of glycine to the NMDA receptor 10 fold. Definitely something to consider with insomnia.

Modes of direct modulation by taurine of the glutamate NMDA receptor in rat cortex
In addition, taurine reduced the apparent affinity of the NMDA receptor for glycine (in the presence of spermine) by 10-fold. These results show that taurine interacts directly with the NMDA receptor by multiple mechanisms.

@Frankdee20

Rosmarinic acid is a potential anxiolytic as it acts as a GABA transaminase inhibitor
, more specifically on 4-aminobutyrate transaminase.[11]Rosmarinic acid also inhibits the expression of indoleamine 2,3-dioxygenase via its cyclooxygenase-inhibiting properties.[12]

An extremely potent synthetic triterpenoid analog of oleanolic acid was found in 2005, that is a powerful inhibitor of cellular inflammatory processes. They work by the induction by IFN-γ of inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) and of cyclooxygenase 2 in mouse macrophages. They are extremely potent inducers of the phase 2 response (e.g., elevation of NADH-quinone oxidoreductase and heme oxygenase 1), which is a major protector of cells against oxidative and electrophile stress.[8]

Ursolic acid - Wikipedia

In mice, ursolic acid induces neural regeneration after sciatic nerve injury.[12] Ursolic acid improves domoic acid-induced cognitive deficits in mice.[13]

Hey thanks, yeah Lemon Balm has that Rosemanearic Acid thing going on. Nervines aren't long acting though. I like Valerian, I like Passionflower, I like Lemon Balm, but they're weak

FitnessMike

so do we know why taurine messes with sleep?

FitnessMike

I've taken up to 5g and it didn't affect my sleep.
I wish I know the mechanism that causes insomnia, maybe when you are relatively healthy it doesn't affect ya.

anyway i should start looking into building slowly the dose

FitnessMike

-Luke-

Interesting that other people experienced this as well. Although in my case it is even more general. So called sleep-inducing supplements tend to make my sleep worse, be it Taurine, Glycine or Magnesium. At least when I take them before sleep, I'm fine earlier in the day. I wonder if that's some weird reverse placebo effect.

FitnessMike

Interesting that other people experienced this as well. Although in my case it is even more general. So called sleep-inducing supplements tend to make my sleep worse, be it Taurine, Glycine or Magnesium. At least when I take them before sleep, I'm fine earlier in the day. I wonder if that's some weird reverse placebo effect.
It's like taurine makes me progressively more and more wired at night despite taking it first thing, eventually to the point of not being able to fall and stay asleep, but i do too feel the benefits, especially with blood sugar/glycogen stores.

It could be that it causes excitation over time? maybe we simply overstimulate calming mechanisms and the body produces something excitatory to balance it out - thats how I see it in my head lol.

FitnessMike

but it has been linked to increased Acetylcholine,
have you got anything to back it up please? iv been taking low dose for a long time... 500mg

Dave Clark

@Frankdee20

Rosmarinic acid is a potential anxiolytic as it acts as a GABA transaminase inhibitor
, more specifically on 4-aminobutyrate transaminase.[11]Rosmarinic acid also inhibits the expression of indoleamine 2,3-dioxygenase via its cyclooxygenase-inhibiting properties.[12]

Ursolic acid - Wikipedia

I am not clear on the NMDA, I thought that an antagonist of NMDA was good for sleep, and an agonist is not. If taurine decreases the binding affinity of glycine {which I understand is an agonist of NMDA}, then wouldn't that make taurine an antagonist of NMDA, and if so, is that good or bad for sleep?

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals