Does Tianeptine Discontinuation Syndrome Exist

Frankdee20

So, it's clear that adaptations emerge when people take SSRIs then stop. This downregulation or desensitized receptor function, etc., have been implicated in Discontinuation Syndromes of antidepressants. Is anyone aware of similar manifestations occurring if we stop Tianeptine ? Obviously, one enhances 5ht metabolism and the other prevents it, so theoretically, any discontinuation occurs via opposite means.

jyb

If you are taking tianeptine frequently or at high doses, a discontinuation syndrome can be expected. And indeed as you can see from online reports, many users who have used tinapetine irresponsibly to get (very) high are prone to extreme withdrawal syndromes and need help.

However if you use it in the normal dose, it has a short half life. There euphoria is short lived. I'm not sure if you would notice a withdrawal like for SSRI. Certainly I haven't noticed anything.

Last edited:

TeslaFan

Not from my experience. I took it for 3 weeks, regular dose, and stopped. I felt good on it, but even better after. I think it is not a drug to take long term. I think it works more like a cure, by regulating some systems. One year after, I did another 3 weeks. Same effect. Tianeptine is great drug, as long as not abused. The only side effect was constipation, but Magnesium supplementation can take care of that.

OP
Frankdee20

Frankdee20

Yeah, I hear good things about it, but im weary of taking any antidepressants. Had experience with Effexor ten years ago, and I'm happy that nightmare is done with.

Makrosky

Not in my experience.

I think what's more likely to happen is the same as with every substance : If you don't correct the problem that made you take tianeptine in the first place, then when you stop you still have the problem tianeptine was taking care of.

ddjd

Not from my experience. I took it for 3 weeks, regular dose, and stopped. I felt good on it, but even better after. I think it is not a drug to take long term. I think it works more like a cure, by regulating some systems. One year after, I did another 3 weeks. Same effect. Tianeptine is great drug, as long as not abused. The only side effect was constipation, but Magnesium supplementation can take care of that.
sodium or sulphate?

Constatine

Depends on the dose. There are a lot of tianeptine addicts that report withdraws after taking huge doses. Seriously people go broke trying to pay for extreme amounts of this stuff. Its great when used responsibly though.

Greg says

I stopped using it 10 weeks ago (i had been using 50-70mg of sodium daily for 6 months). I have used it for 3+ years and take breaks for a couple months every so often to evaluate the effect. I would say for 3 days I had quite intense restless legs at night (Vicks on soles of feet stopped this) and insomnia. After a week I was fine. I found it uncomfortable at night but manageable. I felt no plummet in mood, no craving for it at all in fact I felt better off of it. I think it does have a positive long term effect. There really is nothing like it, its a shame it gets in the wrong hands and gets abused. I believe under 100mg a day it is safe. But this is my experience, I have heard other people say the withdrawal is intense, but they might just be light weights. After coming off SSRI and Phenibut and benzos, tianeptine is a mild experience.

OP
Frankdee20

Frankdee20

Yeah, nothing like Heroin withdrawal