Does the type of collagen matter? I'm talking Type 1, 2, 3, 5, 10

ironfist

I have seen collagens that are Type 1 and 3.
I have seen collagens that are Type 1, 2 and 3.
There are some now that are 1, 2, 3, 5, 10.
They say they have different purposes.
Certain people say they're all detached in the stomach and it doesn't matter what kind you take.

MarcelZD

I prefer type 2 collagen (from cartilage) since I believe it might have less bacterial toxins (LPS) than skin (type 3) and marine (type 1). I haven't seen studies that would definitively prove this though.

OP
I

ironfist

Oh wait maybe you meant you prefer type 1 that comes from marine, not saying Type 1 is marine.

Type I marine is from fish skin, and Type III marine is from fish scales (the latter is cheaper to make)

Type I collagen is the one most abundant in the human body, but there are more important collagens like Type IV (mammalian collagen)makes up the basal membrane of a lot tissue like gums for instance. This can't be supplemented and i don't quite grasp how its formation comes about

I only take Type I marine collagen/gelatin from non-farmed Norwegian fish. Type I fish collagen/gelatin is better assimilated in the human body as it has a smaller molecular weight than bovine collagen even as gelatin and it is also the only form of collagen/gelatin in studies to show any kind of effect on the human anatomy.

OP
I

ironfist

I desire to modify this thread as well and talk about different types of collagens for different things.

For example.

Gelita makes different collagens that say they do different things. They have TENDOFORTE which is for tendons, FORTIGEL which is for cartilage, VERISOL which is for skin, and FORTIBONE which is for bone. But wasn't collagen collagen? Do they make a difference?

From the papers I've seen, Gelita is the only company that has research showing that Verisol lessens facial wrinkles at only 2.5g per day, and Fortigel repairs caritlage at 10g per day.

FrostedShores

I'm also interested in knowing if the type of collagen matters.

Currently, I take a hydrolyzed bovine collagen that contains types I and III. I've been looking into incorporating marine collagen, as well. Not sure if it matters, but the idea of alternating between the two vibes with me.

Do the type differences apply to gelatin, as well?

LadyRae

I use the Codeage multi collagen, which has 5 types from egg, beef, chicken and fish. Dissolves well in coffee