Does the mere action of gripping an object firmly reduce serotonin ?

JamesGatz

I believe I recall a quote I read by RP that said something along the lines of when speaking about serotonin in dogs - I believe it was a situation where they needed to restrain the dog - that if the dog was given something hard to clamp down on (like a bone) then their serotonin would lower and they would relax - I cannot find the quote anywhere when searching but I do vividly remember reading it - if someone has the quote please attribute it to this thread - I do not want people to take my word for it because I don't want to say attribute something to him that I am not 100% sure on

b3443b26404a88f32b2e3fc86b5a3e4a.jpg

I notice that when im riding a scooter or a bike (before I even begin to ride - as soon as I grip the handlebars firmly on the vehicle I feel serotonin lower - I recall one of my co-workers from years back used to have one of those grippers to grip things with - used to be pretty popular in my city - I was wondering do users have the same relaxation effects when gripping something in situations that require it (i.e. like when you grip on a barbell or grip on a bike or something of this nature)

5c18a6b3-e771-4226-843e-89f5f1ee6bb1_1.59ae90bca3c6fd6f73b69977bcdd2984.jpg

Last edited:
OP
JamesGatz

JamesGatz

Probably so, I think this is what you're referring to btw. Timestamped.

View: https://youtu.be/sXkxViFxk9A?t=2026

Yes! Extremely interesting stuff I feel like maybe the action of exerting a force gets this energy out and the serotonin-lowering effects - gripping an object I find similar to chewing of clamping down in terms of mental effects - it's an interesting and simple concept

Ignoramus

This makes me think about how various squeezing/stimming toys are given to autistic people to help them to focus and calm down. Serotonin levels are significantly higher in the guts of autistic people.

K

Kayaker

I think having something to do makes one feel less helpless, thus reduces serotonin. Cursing may reduce stress through a similar mechanism because one subconsciously believes that they are doing something. On the other hand, facial paralysis increases depression because one is unable to express themselves.

Andman

pretty sure its more along the lines of cns activation (esp with the grippers) similar to doing jumps/sprints or even warmup sets for lifting

Marcine

I knit or crochet several hours every day and I'm pretty sure it works the same way you're speaking to.

David PS

Your idea seems plausible to me. I perform 2 or 3 sets of 2 minute isometric holds with hand grips similar to the image shown in this thread. I do this to keep my blood pressure low. see Isometric handgrip exercise training attenuates blood pressure in prehypertensive subjects at 30% maximum voluntary contraction.

Serotonin has been known to have an influence on blood pressure (among other things). From Ray Peat's article Tryptophan, serotonin, and aging:
Serotonin's contribution to high blood pressure is well established. It activates the adrenal cortex both directly and through activation of the pituitary. It stimulates the production of both cortisol and aldosterone. It also activates aldosterone secretion by way of the renin-angiotensin system. Angiotensin is an important promoter of inflammation, and contributes to the degeneration of blood vessels with aging and stress. It can also promote estrogen production.

Edit :
33:46 - Mitigating stress by doing something about it
35:21 - The “youth-associated” hormones — serotonin antagonists

Last edited:

opethfeldt

Interesting theory. I find clenching my fist to be very relaxing and I do it all the time out of habit. I hadn't made a serotonin connection though. This certainly explains the popularity of stress balls.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals