Does *taking* Vit D cause hair to fall?

rachelray

New here and wondering if anyone has heard of this? Whenever I take Vit d (2,000-4,000 in drop form per day) my hair starts falling out. Alot. I've lost probably almost 1/2 of my hair. That's a guess. When I stop it stops falling out so much. When I start again, a bunch comes out the next time I wash my hair - it's immediate.

Anyone had this experience or know why it might happen?

I don't have any conditions *that have been diagnosed*, though I'm tired all the time and have mind fog and aching joints.

I haven't had my Thyroid tested in a couple of years. It's always a bit low but in the normal range as per the mainstream doctors. My adrenals have been a bit shot but are improving slowly. I'm undergoing menopause. For a while I took progesterone and that did help a little with the hair loss I think, but, it didn't help with the fatigue, in fact it made it worse and it never got better so I stopped. But, I think it did feel like it was generally helping otherwise. Hard to say with what exactly, it just seemed like overall, things had improved. Sleep was divine and deep and long, which alone would have helped things.

Any thoughts welcomed. Thank you. Rachel

Mittir

RP mentioned that vitamin D3 helps with hair loss. Your experience is quite opposite.
I think it would be better to check your vitamin D3 level before starting supplement.
Either vitamin D supplement or impurities in supplement is causing hair loss for you.

I used to take carlson D3 and it did not feel good. Later i switched to pharmaceutical
grade D3 drops and those had dramatic improvement in health.

Mittir

These are vitamin D3 injections, which can be taken orally too.
I break the ampoule and pour it inside small dropper bottle
and use 2-3 drops daily, which is equivalent to 4000 IU.
For, few months i was taking single monthly dose of 100,000
to replete low level. Now its stable. I do not think you can get those in
US without prescriptions. The one i use is from France.

OP
R

rachelray

Hmm. I am taking Carlson. I wonder what the issue is with that. Thanks for that.

Strange that here in the link, Carlson is best quality, though I have no idea if these people are reputable:
https://labdoor.com/rankings/vitamin-d

I will have my levels checked again.
If it's needed, any suggestions as to which brand to take that can be had in the US easily?

Suikerbuik

The vitamin D receptor (VDR) plays an highly important role in hair follicle homeostasis. A loss of VDR is associated with hair loss. Current thinking is that vitamin D suppletion will result in better VDR function. There is an hypothesis around, along with independent (recent) research that does not support this to be true. (possibly also related to the person in context)

I'd back of off and let your doc test for vitamin D metabolites if you have this possibility. I can only advice you to be wary with vitamin D suppletion, especially if you say you have lost the half of your hair already and it stops when you discontinue vitamin D.

superhuman

Mittir: thanx. I live in Norway so maybe i can get it online or something.
Strange that the carlson did not work

Mittir

@superhuman

I started vitamin D supplementation before start peating mainly as recommendation
from Dr Ayers of coolinginlfammation.blogspot.com. I believe i felt a lot better with
daily 2000 IU to 4,000 IU. I never liked Carlson D, i tried other brands and occasionally
Carlson. Then i started rubbing it on skin like RP that is when
i realize carlson has a strange feeling on skin. I also broke the capsule and tastes it
and it does not taste good. Then i switched to sun light for a year
and then started this French stuff. It felt great, may be cause it is a great stuff
or i was depleted .May be i am biased here.

aquaman

Mittir said:
These are vitamin D3 injections, which can be taken orally too.
I break the ampoule and pour it inside small dropper bottle
and use 2-3 drops daily, which is equivalent to 4000 IU.
For, few months i was taking single monthly dose of 100,000
to replete low level. Now its stable. I do not think you can get those in
US without prescriptions. The one i use is from France.

Do you buy yours in France without prescription?

Mittir

@aquaman
It is imported from France and sold in local pharmacies.
Legally i should get prescription to buy this.
I like this product because i think an injectable item should
have higher quality than regular supplements. But, i could be wrong.
I am not sure if you need prescription to buy it from France as it is
a vitamin. I do not think they require prescription for vitamin of any kind.

Suikerbuik

I don't think your biased. Your feeling is without doubt telling the truth, I would absolutely trust it. Actually a lot of people report this feeling after vitamin D suppletion. You can read many experiences and books literally, that are written by people who think this is a missing link in their health issues (based on how they feel/felt after adding in vitamin D).

However this is for a reason. And the reason is that it is somehow, in very complex and variable ways, interfering with our immune system. Over time people are usually start feeling worse agian and their symptoms come back, even more severe as before. This is reported by people and in studies, but you get what you look for and most people usually only look for the positive things. This is good but not completely realistic and also think that association is causation (observed low vit. D). Anyway the duration for this to happen is unknown and not yet proven to be a certainty since everyone is different.

Also, if for example, peating is really capable of inducing fundamental changes to the underlying pathology, despite of using vitamin D supplements. Then this is all irrelevant, but this isn't yet supported by any evidence. (Someone should realy fund a multi-year study following non-peaters and peaters and what they eat and how they live and measure importamt metabolites :D )
So until now, I'd be careful to interpretating our feelings with everything to interacts with our immune system so profoundly and translating that to personal advices. As said it is telling us what happens at this moment in time and it is the truth, but how this unfolds in the long run remains to be seen.

Hopefuly I am wrong and we can look to things from a different point of view.. then life is going to be a lot easier for most people. But the truth is the truth and until we haven't figured out it's all up to the individual.

aquaman

Mittir said:
@aquaman
It is imported from France and sold in local pharmacies.
Legally i should get prescription to buy this.
I like this product because i think an injectable item should
have higher quality than regular supplements. But, i could be wrong.
I am not sure if you need prescription to buy it from France as it is
a vitamin. I do not think they require prescription for vitamin of any kind.

Could you tell me the brand name please?

Thanks

Mittir

@aquaman

I have ued two products :
one is named "UVEDOSE" 100,000 IU oral solution in ampoule. Laboratories CRINEX
I get a mild allergic reaction in the form of stuffy nose for few hours if i take
the whole thing in single dose. Probably because of the additives they have.
Now i take 3-4 drops a day by using a dropper bottle. I do not get any bad reaction.
Ingredients: Butylated Hydroxytoluene, saccarin,sorbic acid,lemon essential oil,
unsaturated polyglycolysed glycosides.

Another one is called "Vitamine D3 B.O.N." 200,000 UI/1ml
Oral and IM injectable solution
Ingredients : Medium chain triglyceride
Rouchara Recordati Laboratories
This one is much cleaner and no noticeable problem from it.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals