Does Taking Lysine With Protein-rich Meals Increase Ammonia Levels?

milk_lover

I've read online that lysine supplementation increases ammonia levels in cats because it depletes arginine, which is responsible for activating an enzyme that detoxifies ammonia. Does the same thing apply to humans if they're eating large protein meal? Because you need to deal with ammonia from the protein you eat, but taking lysine with the meal may hinder that process, especially if you drink coffee to counterattack the iron found in meat (coffee may increase ammonia levels). I feel biotin after the meal may help with ammonia but the net effect might not be negative (less ammonia) if you're supplementing lysine at the same time (+drinking coffee). So is it best to take lysine away from protein-rich food to decrease serotonin and NO without affecting ammonia?

nullredvector

It might. I have been getting high ammonia symptoms lately after starting lysine. Agmatine helps a lot.
Do you have a cat? Thats how discovered it does that cats - was trying to help my cat with feline herpes.

OP
milk_lover

milk_lover

no I don't have a cat. I am wondering what high ammonia symptoms are. Thanks for the Agmatine tip.

nullredvector

I get ADHD, restless legs, feeling likes hard to stay in control and get a grip, fatigue, etc

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals