Does Sugar Waste Magnesium?

reality

I’ve read “for every molecule of sugar consumed, our bodies need 54 molecules of magnesium” a few times... how true is this statement?

Are we becoming magnesium deficient with all the sugar and glucose we are consuming? Is this why some people do better with higher fat diets and less carbs?

orewashin

@biffbelvin
How do you know if you don't have enough magnesium? Theoretically, it should be beneficial, but taking an epsom salt bath is difficult for some of us, topical epsom salt would cause severe itchiness, and oral magnesium would cause gastric irritation. It's difficult to justify going through the effort. I've also heard that it's only necessary to soak for 10 minutes, 3x a week. So, what, is any more a waste of time? How do I know I already don't have sufficient magnesium and doing it would be a waste of time to begin with? It's hard to go by feeling if it's difficult for you to do because you end up stressing yourself out and not noticing the benefit.

Jessie

I think magnesium, in conjunction with thiamine, are the first two things to get drained when eating heavily processed carbohydrates. They're both central in the role of sustaining proper glucose metabolism.