Does showering remove vitamin D generated from sunbathing?

J

j.

I came across this thread at paleohacks. Link

There are two competing theories. One says that showering diminishes your absorption. The other one that it doesn't.

I made this comment: Can someone just do an experiment? Sunbathe every day and immediately shower for 10 days. Then, get your vit D level tested. Wait a few days for your vit D level to come down to where it was at the beginning of your first sunbathing session. Then sunbathe again for 10 days and wait 12 hours to shower. Get the vit D level tested.

What are your thoughts?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Re: Does showering remove vitamin D generated from sunbathin

Very good question that I have wondered myself.

I have been going under the assumption that it does indeed wash away so I make sure not to shower till the next day if possible.

Would be nice to get a solid answer though. I bet Ray Peat has one.

OP
J

j.

Charlie said:
Very good question that I have wondered myself.

I have been going under the assumption that it does indeed wash away so I make sure not to shower till the next day if possible.

Would be nice to get a solid answer though. I bet Ray Peat has one.

I wonder though, maybe too much vitamin D was made and it comes out through the skin? Because they found it's present on the skin. What I wonder is, will that vit D be absorbed later? Or maybe even if it didn't come from the body and it was created on the surface of the skin, it won't be absorbed anyway because the body created too much internally at the same time.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

:confused

AmandaWald

I have wondered about this, too, because, if it does, then how can anybody in the western world ever make any vitamin D from sun exposure? My eldest daughter loves to swim in summer and she gets as brown as a berry, but she showers like twice a day, regularly, when she goes swimming and it is hot and sticky.

Most people take a shower every morning, so I cannot imagine that they would ever get any vitamin D being made.

M

marikay

I emailed this question to Ray once. He replied that a couple of hours of waiting after UVB exposure is all that is needed before showering. Hope this helps.

tara

I think movement/exercise during sun exposure may help get vit-D circulating to where it's needed?

Perry Staltic

Sunlight creates an insane amount of vitamin D in skin, so maybe when a lot of time is spent in the sun skin cells get rid of excessive vitamin D by excreting it via sweat. If that's the case then waste, not usable, vit D is being washed away in showers.