Does serotonin in fruit raise serotonin blood levels?

Michael Mohn

Serotonin content of foods: effect on urinary excretion of 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid​

Abstract​

Using a highly specific radioenzymatic assay we determined the serotonin concentration in 80 types of foods. The following fruits had a high serotonin concentration (mean +/- SEM) expressed in micrograms/g weight:
plantain 30.3 +/- 7.5;
pineapple 17.0 +/- 5.1;
banana 15.0 +/- 2.4;
Kiwi fruit 5.8 +/- 0.9;
plums 4.7 +/- 0.8; and
tomatoes 3.2 +/- 0.6
...Ingestion of these fruits and nuts resulted in an increase in urinary 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid excretion with no change in platelet serotonin concentration.

5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid (5-HIAA)... in your urine is a waste product that comes from the breakdown of serotonin by the liver.

lampofred

Peat said it's possible in sensitive people.

rei

Ray is the first person i see saying lungs detoxify serotonin. Does this mean the lungs mao makes it into 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid that goes into urine?

NewACC

I have read literally a ton of messages about the dangers of serotonin contained in fruits and I want to put everyone to rest with my, albeit belated, response. So, almost any amount of serotonin consumed with food is not a problem in most cases, since the power of monoamine oxidase in your intestine is able to oxidize (and therefore neutralize) huge amounts of serotonin - for the same reason, the psychedelic broth "auyavaska" always contains Siberian rue (monoamine oxidase inhibitor) in addition to mimosa, in its in the composition, because DMT (a substance with an identical serotonin affinity for MAO) is immediately neutralized when ingested and to achieve the same psychedelic effects as from 15mg taken with an MAO inhibitor, without an MAO inhibitor, you need to take at least 10-20 times more. Although I agree that, well, in very large amounts taken, serotonin can irritate your gut, which will cause rapid defecation

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom