Does Red Light Therapy Ever Make You Itch?

im developing itchy forearms. Not sure why. A little red or not even. The thing I've been doing is more strong red light in all areas of the body. Could this be causing the itchiness?

OP
ecstatichamster
weird rash on my forearms. Not sure what to make of it. Had to put some Benedryl cream on which helps and taking aspirin. No raised bumps but it is patchy red and very itchy.

Any idears?

Koveras

Sounds like the start of contact dermatitis from DMSO

Are you still using any of the topical supplements?

OP
ecstatichamster
I was. I stopped. I wasn't applying here on my forearms though. But near that site. Did u get this? How long before it goes away? Thank you

meatbag

I was. I stopped. I wasn't applying here on my forearms though. But near that site. Did u get this? How long before it goes away? Thank you

I have only gotten that from lapodin (old batch with smelly dmso-it goes away and if you dilute it it doesn;t happen).

Last edited:

Koveras

I've gotten it twice.

First time I let it carry on too long and was scratching during my sleep which I think aggravated it. Did not get any relief from benadryl, cypro, aspirin, solban, diclofenac lotion, or a non-prescription steroid cream. The only thing that resolved it was a prescription steroid cream. Took a little over a week to resolve, during which over those first 4 days or so when I was trying other things it was continually getting worse, and it was around the 3rd day or so, possibly related to the scratching overnight when I started to get some raised bumps/vesicles around the edges.

The second time awhile later I caught it early and managed to stop it from progressing with a small amount of the prescription steroid cream right away and avoiding scratching. It was fine then by the second or third day with very minimal itching. I stopped using those products after that.

You may have better luck with the alternatives but probably wouldn't hurt to see a GP.

OP
ecstatichamster
I have only gotten that from lapodin (old batch with smelly dmso-it goes away and if you dilute it it doesn;t happen). I haven't experienced anything, I think we have the same device-the RLM redlight one? How close are you putting on your body? I got a bad burn once from putting it close to my liver, basically pressed against the skin, for 15 minutes; I applied progesterone to half of it and it healed very quickly. You could try dissolving some niacinamide if you have some in warm water with a small amount of vodka- something like 2500mg in 35 mL warm water and 5 ml vodka I think is what I usually do. I've applied this if i get really irritated skin from something and it seems to help alot

Same device. I'm ultra careful about mov My it around. Not burning.

Thanks for the tip. I will try that. Yep it was smelly dmso

Parsifal

I think red light can increase nitric oxide and maybe histamines by dilating blood vessels?

meatbag

I think red light can increase nitric oxide and maybe histamines by dilating blood vessels?

No, it doesn't stimulate NO production. It photodissociates NO from the enzyme complex Cytochrome C Oxidase therefore increasing concentrations in the serum. Histamine release has only been observed with overpowered lasers for too long a duration at the given power output. Obviously if you burnt yourself with something there will be a release of histamine.

kiran

Heres a guess. Red light stimulates blood flow and increased metabolism. The itching starts when the effect wears off and blood flow drops back.

OP
ecstatichamster
the itching has worn off. It took about a week.

Not sure what it was. I began using a DMSO topical from @haidut's company again. I'm using it on my leg and will see if it develops any dermatitis.

I am sitting here bathing in red light and intense incandescent light. No more itch.

I built a red light sauna and it makes me sweat profusely if I do a longish session....sweating like this can release toxins and heavy metals which will make my skin itch. I get no rash, but the itching can be intense! A cool shower and coconut oil rubbed into the skin fixes it.:2cents:

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals