Does Ray Recommend Glutamic Acid For Mental Disorders?

ATP

In A Biophysical Approach to Altered Consciousness, one of the supplements that Ray lists that could help improve mental disorders based on his theory was L-glutamic acid.

Every other time he talks about glutamic acid, it is always negative, which is why I am confused. For example in the article "Coconut oil", he says "glutamic acids promote seizures and cause brain damage, and are intimately involved in the process of stress-induced brain aging".

Since this recommendation was from the mid 70's, is it possible he has changed his mind on some ideas?

yerrag

BastiFuntasty

L-glutamine supps are often used for gut lining problems, but its downside is that it increases cortisol pretty significant.

Quality

Glutamine is one of the rate limiting factor for Gluthatione production AFAIK.
Besides glutamine/glutamic acid for mental disorders can both aggrevate or ease symptoms, it depends on that persons brain chemistry.
Think shizos(nmda hypofunction), autism spectrum disorders(glutamate overload-not sure if this is due to poor receptor availability).
Also glutamine can work both ways, it can be excitatory and inhibitory, glutamate is necesarry to produce gaba, and we all know what gaba does by now.

Quality

What i always notice in my liver tests is that my gamma-glutamyltransferase i on the very low end in range, alat and asat is on the high end of the range, what could this mean? Is my liver not processing glutamine properly?

yerrag

What is seldom mentioned is that GLN (glutamine) is, with alanine, the main transport vehicle for excess nitrogen waste. Personally, I'd be worried about not taking enough, given this role.

Visual summary here: Amino Acid Metabolism (Nitrogen Metabolism)
Glutamine is present in our common protein (especially meat) sources. It is present in a large proportion as well, when we look at the amino acid profiles of these sources. Not seeing a deficiency of it in a regular lifestyle as far as eating is concerned.

In my opinion, supplementation with l-glutamine is hardly necessary unless there is a strong reason calling for it. Since it can be both excitatory and inhibitory (as GABA), and since I don't know what role it will assume when I take l-glutamine, I'm just going to be cautious in using it.

Quality

Glutamine is present in our common protein (especially meat) sources. It is present in a large proportion as well, when we look at the amino acid profiles of these sources. Not seeing a deficiency of it in a regular lifestyle as far as eating is concerned.

In my opinion, supplementation with l-glutamine is hardly necessary unless there is a strong reason calling for it. Since it can be both excitatory and inhibitory (as GABA), and since I don't know what role it will assume when I take l-glutamine, I'm just going to be cautious in using it.
Take herbs/supps that stimulate the pathway conversion slightly towards gaba ( specially with modern lifestyle & stress ).

yerrag

Take herbs/supps that stimulate the pathway conversion slightly towards gaba ( specially with modern lifestyle & stress ).
Quality, what kind of herbs do that?

Quality

I used to take NAC for that (N-Acetyl-Cysteine), it gave me very good mental clarity and took away ALL repetitive behavior that I had, it was very calming, unfortunately I seemed to be getting eye problems on it, so I discontinued it.
Also I feel ashwagandha helps greatly in this regard, works more on potentiating gaba transmission imo, where as NAC sorts out the glutamate over-underexcitability balance.

yerrag

I used to take NAC for that (N-Acetyl-Cysteine), it gave me very good mental clarity and took away ALL repetitive behavior that I had, it was very calming, unfortunately I seemed to be getting eye problems on it, so I discontinued it.
Also I feel ashwagandha helps greatly in this regard, works more on potentiating gaba transmission imo, where as NAC sorts out the glutamate over-underexcitability balance.
That must explain why NAC was prescribed by dad when he was in hospital, to prevents tremors. That would explain its use in sorting out the "glutamate over-underdexcitability balance. I had always thought of NAC as one of many anti-oxidants, but this puts it in a role I can now begin to appreciate more.

Ashwagandha is entirely new to me. Is it American Indian, Amazonian, or Ayuverdic?

Quality

Yes it is part of Ayuraveda. Been using it like 2 years or more, ever since I believe this one of the only herbs that made me feel better the longer I take it, wouldn't be surprised if it is actually capable of healing things.

ASHWAGANDHA Supplement: Usage, Dosage, Side Effects & Benefits - Examine.com | Examine.com

Potentiation of NMDA receptors by Withania somnifera on hippocampal CA1 pyramidal neurons. - PubMed - NCBI
Potentiation of NMDA receptors by Withania somnifera on hippocampal CA1 pyramidal neurons.

Combinations of Ashwagandha Leaf Extracts Protect Brain-Derived Cells against Oxidative Stress and Induce Differentiation

We demonstrate that the (i) alcoholic (i-Extract) and water (WEX) extracts of Ashwagandha leaves cause protection against oxidative stress and glutamate toxicity.

The extracts induce differentiation in glioblastoma and neuroblastoma cells, (ii) combinations of the active components from two types of extracts were highly effective.

These assays revealed that Ashwagandha extracts caused reduction in H2O2- and glutamate-induced accumulation of ROS and γH2AX, suggesting that the neuroprotection was mediated, at least in part, by their anti-oxidative properties.

....Based on these findings, such as (i) protection against oxidative stress, DNA damage and glutamate excitotoxicity....

yerrag

Thanks, Quality. I should look into this.

richofden

Forum Supporter
What about Lemon Balm for this?
  1. Lemon Balm reduces stress. One-way lemon balm does this is to promote GABA, a glutamate inhibitor in your brain. Glutamate excites brain cells to act. While this excitation is necessary, too much glutamate results in cell death.