Does Ray Peat read this forum?

Raypmom

Ray is nice to us, why can't we be to each other?

Reading conversations going around the "community" and it seems like people here lose their temper quick and get short with each other. People ask Ray questions all the time, some are strange and offensive at times and I've never heard him get short with anyone. He's polite, in fact he encourages more questions. Yes we are all adults here, it's cheeky to make light of things and tease each other as long as we clarify our intentions. But it seems like people are back and fourth at each other, taking things personal etc. The energy is quite draining. We may not see each other but we interact with one another, so a healthy environment should be encouraged.

We should be nicer to each other, let's not take things so personally. Just saying... Probably why Raypeat does not read this forum. All he sees is bickering. Don't get me wrong, I love this forum and reading about everyone's experience. Some of us should be more respectful in our tone.
Am alone on this thought? I don't mean to point fingers either so please don't misinterprete my words.

pboy

he probably doesn't read it because its a waste of time to him, as he knows all the stuff we talk about here but is also more experienced and probably knows even a little more...but as for what youre saying, I don't see anything being out of hand, there might be a little back and forth but its never got personal or too harsh as far as I can see. The thing is, the way people type and their tone (if youre intelligent youll know this) is actually a reflection of how theyre feeling...so you know that if someone is coming across like that, they aren't feeling that good, and therefore their advice and perspective are probably not ideal to listen to anyways...of course some people have random bad days and such but should be aware not to come on here and type out some of their own exhaust. I totally agree manners are necessary, and the ideal would be just conversating, however...I also don't believe in political correctness. I think its a symptom of learned helplessness, weakness, and often just makes it to where people can never be honest, never get the truth off their chest, mess up their thyroid because they either suppress their voice or say smoething in a non effective skewed way...and just overall the deep meaningful issues never come to surface or nothing is ever done about them. Being vulgar simply means of the common people and its often a truer reflection of feelings and thoughts, and therefore the truth can be dealt with better. If the common goal is well being for all, then I think its fine to be a bit vulgar if its the honest truth of the situation seen from an 'as is' perspective. If things truly were great within the person and in the environment, there would be no compellation to speak vulgar things (or what we think of when we say that word). If theres a good reason to be fired up, say because the environment is entirely polluted and offensive and theres people being taken advantage of and left out to dry, then its actually appropriate to be fired up and honest and powerful in word and action. Its the intent that matters most. If the persons intention, undertone, is genuinely to get stuff out to the surface objectively, theyre honest, and they want well being both for themselves and the environment (and others), then anything is good, its the truth. If the person has a selfish or domineering tone, then basically ignore them. Don't get overly sensitive, even if it hurts, just realize...this is the situation at hand, some peoples situation, health, state of mind is so bad that they are compelled to act like that. Take note, move on, but realize everything is a reflection of the at large situation and it actually points to things to be aware of and try to actively do something about when we can

OP
R

Raypmom

I completely understand about what you're saying about people's moods and their tone when they write. I know it has something to do with the way they feel at that current moment.
I don't see anything getting out of hand or crazy either. I didn't mean it that way, just wondering I guess.

I guess I'm looking too much into it, If I look at it the way you put it, then it makes sense to disregard some of the things I read. I have been thinking about it for a while, don't know why and I wanted to hear somebody else's view on it.

pboy

raypmom, I think its great you brought it up and didn't let yourself just think about it...my perspective is just one, but I know what you mean...being a mom ( I assume) youre probably more sensitive to non harmonious...non gentle vibes than me, as a young male without children and I honor and respect that...I personally try to never arouse fear or angst. I think you should always say what you think, its great, and you did it in a polite way. We all have to learn from eachother, and often times we have to know how people are thinking and feeling to come together properly

OP
R

Raypmom

"If the person has a selfish or domineering tone, then basically ignore them" :

I haven't met anyone like that on this forum. Also I didn't personally get offended by anyone. I read a few things that were said to others and I probably read too much into.
(I thought wow, that's harsh) or maybe unnecessary. Perhaps it could've been worded differently. But like you said, maybe they were just being honest.

You have definitely changed the way I look at things from now on in the forum. I will keep your last paragraph in mind. Very good accurate stuff there.

When someone gets mad it means there is a change starting to happen. In fact, on Peatarian.com there are even more people who are changing! Jokes aside though, it's very hard to have a debate here without being asked to stop.

Ben

I totally agree with you Raypmom. Hope this community doesn't lose its collective openness to a few bigoted individuals. We don't really have anything to argue about though. Sugar is good, salt is good, CO2 is good. Whatever makes us feel best is what's best, not what is scientifically argued as the best. So dieting is a very individual subject. Some of the members on here forget that.

OP
R

Raypmom

Such_Saturation said:
When someone gets mad it means there is a change starting to happen. In fact, on Peatarian.com there are even more people who are changing! Jokes aside though, it's very hard to have a debate here without being asked to stop.

Such_Saturation, I'm learning :)

OP
R

Raypmom

Ben said:
I totally agree with you Raypmom. Hope this community doesn't lose its collective openness to a few bigoted individuals. We don't really have anything to argue about though. Sugar is good, salt is good, CO2 is good. Whatever makes us feel best is what's best, not what is scientifically argued as the best. So dieting is a very individual subject. Some of the members on here forget that.

Hi, Ben :) I'm glad to be here.

tara

I think debate (including disagreement) about ideas can be conducted in a friendly manner free from ad hominem attacks and other disrespect. If it's a major disagreement with Peat's ideas, there is a place for it in the Debate subforum.
Most of the time that's what seems to happen here. Occasionally it looks to me like people head off into personal attacks or aggressive outbursts, which I don't like (though i can't claim innocence - i've caught myself at it).

The general guidelines I try to apply for myself (I don't claim I always succeed in living up to them): It's generally OK to disagree, esp. if you have some relevant evidence and reason. It's OK to say you don't enjoy particular behaviour. It's generally disrespectful to make negative judgements about someone's character, capabilities, or intentions. It can be disrespectful to invalidate someone else's experience and feelings, or to misrepresent what they have said.

I agree that finding an optimal diet is often individual.

I don't agree that there is nothing to argue about. :lol: I sometimes find arguing a useful way to develop my own thinking, and learn from others' perspectives. But I know not everyone likes arguing, even in the most respectful way. By argue, I mean draw attention to relevant evidence and logic that lead towards particular conclusions. The information Peat presents is often complex, even though there are some simple principles, and it takes a bit to get to grips with it - I certainly keep getting new understandings from reading Peat's articles a second or third time. Reality, including human physiology, is complex, so it is not surprising that people see things differently sometimes.
I don't mean 'argue' as in fighting and name-calling and angry obscenities - I see no good reason for that - it just drags things down.
I find it frustrating when people take a disagreement about ideas, or even a discussion or question, as though it is a personal attack.

As zachs said, Peat has said he does not read the forum. I imagine he's got at least 100 better things to do, considering that answering the remainder or the 20 forum questions is in his top 100 to do list. :):

OP
R

Raypmom

"I find it frustrating when people take a disagreement about ideas, or even a discussion or question, as though it is a personal attack"

@Tara that's understandable. I agree it happens. As Pboy said,we should take note and move on :)

I guess it's a reflection of how that person might be feeling at that present moment. This really makes sense to me. :idea:

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals