Does piracetam supplementation increase the need for choline?

Logan-

I cannot eat eggs (including the yolk) and dairy products, and my main source of choline is lots of red meat. Would it be o.k. to take piracetam in this case? I don’t want to supplement with choline. I don’t intend to take high doses of piracetam, probably around 1-2.4 gram doses every day for a long time.

redsun

I cannot eat eggs (including the yolk) and dairy products, and my main source of choline is lots of red meat. Would it be o.k. to take piracetam in this case? I don’t want to supplement with choline. I don’t intend to take high doses of piracetam, probably around 1-2.4 gram doses every day for a long time.
All racetam usage requires supplemental choline if you dont want to get problems. You will see this everywhere you look. Choline needs to be taken especially because you avoid a major choline source in the diet.

Deborah888

I've taken aniracetam (max daily dose of 1500mg/day) for about 18 mos now and I only take cdp choline twice per week. I remember having a general ill feeling when I took any more choline than that. Fwiw, aniracetam was life-changing for me.

Beastmode

I've taken aniracetam (max daily dose of 1500mg/day) for about 18 mos now and I only take cdp choline twice per week. I remember having a general ill feeling when I took any more choline than that. Fwiw, aniracetam was life-changing for me.
Can you expand on how you use aniracetam and the "life-changing" aspect for you?

Thank you in advance!

Deborah888

Can you expand on how you use aniracetam and the "life-changing" aspect for you?

Thank you in advance!
For me, the aniracetam was my last-ditch effort to avoid prescription anti-depressants / anti-anxiety meds, so I wasn't really looking for the "nootropic" brain-enhancing effect, as much as trying to just survive. I did go to an amazing therapist, who helped me tremendously with personal issues, but the aniracetam made me a functional person who could get things done and not feel overwhelmed by doing every little thing. It has a short half-life, so I have to space them out throughout the day, but even when it "wears off" if I don't take it for a day or so, I don't feel a withdrawal or drop in mood or anything. Just more "neutral" or flat. I also did notice positive little things, like I could listen to music again and enjoy it. I enjoyed painting and colors more, like when I was young. I had the ability to enjoy sunlight again, the sound of rain, things like that. I could get daily chores done, too. Anyway, sadly, the aniracetam is getting harder and harder to find (of course). I did order a LOT ahead of time, but I imagine in about a year I'll be completely out and I don't know if anyone will have it anymore. I noticed that purenootropics and hrsupplements websites no longer offered it recently, or said their stock was out. It works and there are no side effects, not even any withdrawal. (However, I've read that if you go without for a month or so, you may start to feel the old mood issues creep back in). So, since I feel jaded by the medical community, I have to wonder if they know that it works and want aniracetam to NOT be available otc. If you find a -racetam you like, stock up. I only take the CDP choline because the nootropics people tell me I should. I personally don't like how it makes me feel but supposedly it helps. I can only handle twice per week. I'm also allergic to dairy and eggs, but since choline is a nutrient no one should be allergic to that. I'm also allergic to sunflower (my absolute worst allergy), and sunflower is in the other kind of choline that's not "CDP" (can't remember the name).

Beastmode

For me, the aniracetam was my last-ditch effort to avoid prescription anti-depressants / anti-anxiety meds, so I wasn't really looking for the "nootropic" brain-enhancing effect, as much as trying to just survive. I did go to an amazing therapist, who helped me tremendously with personal issues, but the aniracetam made me a functional person who could get things done and not feel overwhelmed by doing every little thing. It has a short half-life, so I have to space them out throughout the day, but even when it "wears off" if I don't take it for a day or so, I don't feel a withdrawal or drop in mood or anything. Just more "neutral" or flat. I also did notice positive little things, like I could listen to music again and enjoy it. I enjoyed painting and colors more, like when I was young. I had the ability to enjoy sunlight again, the sound of rain, things like that. I could get daily chores done, too. Anyway, sadly, the aniracetam is getting harder and harder to find (of course). I did order a LOT ahead of time, but I imagine in about a year I'll be completely out and I don't know if anyone will have it anymore. I noticed that purenootropics and hrsupplements websites no longer offered it recently, or said their stock was out. It works and there are no side effects, not even any withdrawal. (However, I've read that if you go without for a month or so, you may start to feel the old mood issues creep back in). So, since I feel jaded by the medical community, I have to wonder if they know that it works and want aniracetam to NOT be available otc. If you find a -racetam you like, stock up. I only take the CDP choline because the nootropics people tell me I should. I personally don't like how it makes me feel but supposedly it helps. I can only handle twice per week. I'm also allergic to dairy and eggs, but since choline is a nutrient no one should be allergic to that. I'm also allergic to sunflower (my absolute worst allergy), and sunflower is in the other kind of choline that's not "CDP" (can't remember the name).
Thank you for sharing your direct experience.

Anecdotal, but you may be able to sort some of that out without things aniracetam with proper neurofeedback. It's been a game changer for me. I purchased a system and got remote brain maps and guidance from an amazing neuroscientist. For what people pay for all these supplements, this can save a lot $ in the long run. I didn't have what you had, in that extreme, but everything in my world opened up that I never knew was available. I'm another person socially now that I always thought I was just an introvert. It took about 4 months to sort out a lot of it, but the benefits haven't gone away.

Dr. Andrew Hill, from Peak Brain in (based on L.A,) has helped me so much. He's the neuroscientist I'm referring too above.

Deborah888

Thank you for sharing your direct experience.

Anecdotal, but you may be able to sort some of that out without things aniracetam with proper neurofeedback. It's been a game changer for me. I purchased a system and got remote brain maps and guidance from an amazing neuroscientist. For what people pay for all these supplements, this can save a lot $ in the long run. I didn't have what you had, in that extreme, but everything in my world opened up that I never knew was available. I'm another person socially now that I always thought I was just an introvert. It took about 4 months to sort out a lot of it, but the benefits haven't gone away.

Dr. Andrew Hill, from Peak Brain in (based on L.A,) has helped me so much. He's the neuroscientist I'm referring too above.
You're welcome. Yes it's just anecdotal but the research on it is easily found. I do hate relying on supplements but it's better than prescriptions in my mind. I've always felt like neurofeedback sounds so one-dimensional somehow, but I do believe in neuroplasticity and rewarding my own non-depression behaviors (like actually accomplishing things). Just a much slower process than neurofeedback. Thank you, though. That is worth giving more serious consideration.

Mauritio

I'd be weary of taking piracetam everyday . I think 2 -3 times per week is fine. And yes you do need choline ...sooner or later.

David PS

Would a natural Acetylcholinesterase Inhibitor do trick to avoid supplementing with choline? I assume that you would have to have the choline in your system for a Acetylcholinesterase Inhibitor to work.

Anticholinergic, antidiabetic and antioxidant activities of cinnamon (cinnamomum verum) bark extracts: polyphenol contents analysis by LC-MS/MS

Last edited:

bluefish

I ordered a bottle of piracetam, and am considering starting to take it. Actually I took a pill tonight.
just curious people's thoughts on it. Supposedly Ray Peat supports its use.

How did you choose aniracetam?

Deborah888

I ordered a bottle of piracetam, and am considering starting to take it. Actually I took a pill tonight.
just curious people's thoughts on it. Supposedly Ray Peat supports its use.

How did you choose aniracetam?
I read about it on nootropicsexpert.com a while back when I was researching natural ways to combat terrible mood swings, depression and anxiety. It's supposed to be stronger than piracetam and I was desperate to avoid anti-anxiety or anti-depressant prescription meds. It worked so well for me that after trying I didn't see a need to experiment with other racetams. I wasn't taking them to enhance my brain, though. I was just surviving. Doing much better all around now but I haven't made the leap to try going completely off of them. Other than symptoms returning there have been no withdrawal symptoms when I've (accidentally) gone off and back on them. Now it's only available from purenootropics.com but it used to be more widely available.

bluefish

I read about it on nootropicsexpert.com a while back when I was researching natural ways to combat terrible mood swings, depression and anxiety. It's supposed to be stronger than piracetam and I was desperate to avoid anti-anxiety or anti-depressant prescription meds. It worked so well for me that after trying I didn't see a need to experiment with other racetams. I wasn't taking them to enhance my brain, though. I was just surviving. Doing much better all around now but I haven't made the leap to try going completely off of them. Other than symptoms returning there have been no withdrawal symptoms when I've (accidentally) gone off and back on them. Now it's only available from purenootropics.com but it used to be more widely available.
ok, thanks. I just started trying piracetam.