Does phosphatidylserine tolerance exist?

jerry.j

Been taking 600mg phosphatidylserine at night and it has helped me with sleep maintenance. It was actually one of the best supplements I have taken in terms of efficacy - I stopped waking up for hours at night on a consistent basis.

Phosphatidylserine was fantastic until about the 6th week of taking it. Now, old sleep issues are back with virtually no other changes to diet, lifestyle, routine.

Has anyone had this happen to them or hear of a tolerance effect?

DNM

I hope not, since PS has helped me a lot by (presumably) blocking cortisol (either its formation or its effect, I'm not sure).

This remark may deserve its own post, but I have noticed a strange thing with PS. It seems to level out my stress (and the depressive bouts it brings with it), but it also kind of killed my libido. This reminds me of the dual cortisol-progesterone blocking effect of the drug "ru486" (the "abortion pill"), which terminates pregnancies by blocking progesterone, but also is extremely effective at blocking cortisol and cures difficult-to-cure cancers, according to Georgi/haidut's summaries of PubMed articles (cf. Blocking cortisol may treat terminal pancreatic cancer – To Extract Knowledge from Matter and Blocking cortisol may treat even terminal cancers – To Extract Knowledge from Matter).

So...does PS also block progesterone formation or activity in the same way? If so, that would explain the extreme hit to my libido, since progesterone => alloprednanolone conversion is one of the components of a healthy libido (in the brain, that is: cf. this vid by Leo and Longevity
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60JlS63J_nI
). It would also mean that pregnant women shouldn't take PS.

In any event, to your question...maybe? Maybe something about its inhibition of cortisol or progesterone (if the latter is true) runs up against a tolerance and wears off, just as anything that promotes or blocks hormones of any kind might. Perhaps, if (IF) it blocks progesterone, you are seeing the effect of reduced progesterone signalling, which disturbs your sleep, even though it it still blocking your cortisol (which was improving your sleep). I'm just speculating.

Last edited:
OP
J

jerry.j

I hope not, since PS has helped me a lot by (presumably) blocking cortisol (either its formation or its effect, I'm not sure).

This remark may deserve its own post, but I have noticed a strange thing with PS. It seems to level out my stress (and the depressive bouts it brings with it), but it also kind of killed my libido. This reminds me of the dual cortisol-progesterone blocking effect of the drug "ru486" (the "abortion pill"), which terminates pregnancies by blocking progesterone, but also is extremely effective at blocking cortisol and cures difficult-to-cure cancers, according to Georgi/haidut's summaries of PubMed articles (cf. Blocking cortisol may treat terminal pancreatic cancer – To Extract Knowledge from Matter and Blocking cortisol may treat even terminal cancers – To Extract Knowledge from Matter).

So...does PS also block progesterone formation or activity in the same way? If so, that would explain the extreme hit to my libido, since progesterone => alloprednanolone conversion is one of the components of a healthy libido (in the brain, that is: cf. this vid by Leo and Longevity
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60JlS63J_nI
). It would also mean that pregnant women shouldn't take PS.

In any event, to your question...maybe? Maybe something about its inhibition of cortisol or progesterone (if the latter is true) runs up against a tolerance and wears off, just as anything that promotes or blocks hormones of any kind might. Perhaps, if (IF) it blocks progesterone, you are seeing the effect of reduced progesterone signalling, which disturbs your sleep, even though it it still blocking your cortisol (which was improving your sleep). I'm just speculating.

This is very interesting. Are you planning on going off the PS to fix the reduced libido?

I can say that PS has had an enormous impact for me on cortisol based on blood test results (same AM time). It also lowered my progesterone slightly so this aligns with what you said.

My theory was that it has leveled off my cortisol so that the curve is flatter over the course of 24h. It might be less effective because the relative decrease in cortisol during the night is not as great compared to the high points during the day.

DNM

This is very interesting. Are you planning on going off the PS to fix the reduced libido?

I can say that PS has had an enormous impact for me on cortisol based on blood test results (same AM time). It also lowered my progesterone slightly so this aligns with what you said.

My theory was that it has leveled off my cortisol so that the curve is flatter over the course of 24h. It might be less effective because the relative decrease in cortisol during the night is not as great compared to the high points during the day.
I went off of it for a few days, and my libido came back a little. Now I just take 300mg, instead of 600mg, and I take a few drops of Progest-E.

We'll see whether it fixes things.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals