Does Peating (over-time) decrease the size of your stomach by increasing the size of your brain - changing your food tolerance (fruit/starch)

JamesGatz

I was reading this from "The Expensive-Tissue Hypothesis: The Brain and the Digestive System in Human and Primate Evolution":

Screenshot (62).png

I noted the following as extremely relevant :

"Gut Size is highly correlated with diet, and relatively small guts are compatible only with high-quality, easy-to-digest food"

I was also reading a few studies with people that noted that the larger the skull of someone - the smaller their digestive system - without exception - I also made a thread noting the relevance of a large skull-to-body ratio to intelligence:

so it seems reasonable to suggest that one with a smaller stomach has a lesser tolerance to low-quality food

I was recalling a post made by another user in another thread :

1200px-Saimiri_sciureus-1_Luc_Viatour.jpg
Special mention: ANTS
another interesting animal: SQUIRREL MONKEY (1:17 ratio highest ratio of all primates, ray mentions them and their dietary habits)
View attachment 29535View attachment 29536
Squirrel monkeys have an unusually large brain mass relative to the rest of their body relative to other primates and are highly regarded as extremely intelligent - their diets are extremely interesting as they seem to eat a lot of high-quality food only (fruits and insects instead of nuts/plants and other things that other primate cousins tend to focus on :

There are also these threads - which emphasize the importance of having good teeth and how important it is of a signal of one's overall health :

You might find this interesting

This is Australian Aborginies and their skull shapes on healthier diets vs modern diets:

Australian-aborigines_500x372.jpg

If you notice - these people from what I've seen live close to the middle of nowhere and I highly doubt they are brushing and flossing their teeth religiously to keep their teeth this nice - yet the ones on a traditional diet seem to have perfect teeth

Happy-Aboriginal-kids_credit-Ludo-Kuipers-1986.jpg

As we all know Ray Peat has an unusual large skull - from the things I've recently read from his email exchanges - he does not seem to eat much starch and he seems to tolerate high-quality food really well:

maxresdefault.jpg

In my experience - in a high-metabolic/high-androgenic state - mewing (the act of the tongue being in the roof of the mouth) occurs naturally and over-time this pressure being in this state expands the skull (i.e. you cannot expand the maxilla without expanding the entire skull along with it) - I strongly believe this is the reason that Australian Aborginities have extremely healthy skull and maxillary growth

So my theory is this:

When one is not metabolically healthy (i.e. when first starting to get on RP or in an unhealthy diet - their skull shape is smaller - causing their digestive system to be larger - which then causes them to tolerate any quality food ? (i.e. this is just speculation but maybe someone who is unhealthy or first starting to get on RP tolerates starch a lot better than someone who has been on RP for many years because of this - this seems to be largely the case from what I notice)

It is of my belief that in a healthy metabolic state and healthy androgenic state - the skull and maxilla does grow larger over time and there is a trade-off - we become smarter from our brain growing larger but our guts become smaller as a result which then completely changes the foods we can tolerate over-time -
So peating over the years will increase the size of your brain and skull while at the same time decreasing your gut size - changing your food tolerance over-time

"in 1995, Leslie Aiello and Peter Wheeler proposed an answer – we sacrificed guts for smarts. The duo suggested that during our evolution, there was a trade-off between the sizes of two energetically expensive organs: our guts and our brain."

Larger primates (especially when compared to humans) seem to have very small brains and large stomachs (think gorillas) and if you think about it they eat just about anything (like grass and plants and stuff and they seem to be completely fine)

caters_gorilla_punch_03.jpg

So then via evolution - if an animal species remains metabolically healthy over-time will they evolve to a point where they only tolerate high-quality food and have a lesser tolerance to PUFA and the like ? (i.e. squirrels and bears tolerate PUFA fine but it doesn't seem to be good to squirrel monkeys or healthier metabolic animal species )

Last edited:
OP
JamesGatz

JamesGatz

Ray's response to my email about this:

"Diet choices go with evolution—like the squirrel monkeys’ fruit diet, foods that support brain development have to be high in carbohydrate, easy to digest, abundant in the environment, and adequate in overall nutrient content and balance. A less concentrated diet, containing a lot of plant material, causes adaptive enlargement of the intestine."

ursidae

470 calories worth of oranges weighs 1 kilogram
470 calories worth of rice weighs 360 g

valzim

Very interesting. For about 2 years, I'm doing more Peat diet. Recovering from low carb diet. Temperatures coming up, mood and energy great. And have mostly eliminated starch. How is poop related with and without starch? Normally, I have very clean poops. First wipe is dry and clean. When I eat starch, my wipes are wet and I need 4-5 wipes. What's going on there?
Added: The main starch I'm talking about are sweet potato and black eyed peas and white beans cooked in pressure cooker.