Does NDT supplement, T3/T4 or iodine raise PTH?

BearWithMe

Could stimulating thyroid indirectly (caffeine, testosterone, red light etc.) possibly also raise PTH?

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

I have posted the thread in the wrong subforum, can you please move it to the appropriate forum @charlie ?

Hans

Forum Supporter
I have posted the thread in the wrong subforum, can you please move it to the appropriate forum @charlie ?
Is your PTH low? Magnesium can help to increase it.
"While low levels of magnesium stimulate parathyroid hormone secretion, very low serum concentrations induce a paradoxical block. This block leads to clinically relevant hypocalcemia in severely hypomagnesiemic patients." (R)

Epik

"While low levels of magnesium stimulate parathyroid hormone secretion, very low serum concentrations induce a paradoxical block. This block leads to clinically relevant hypocalcemia in severely hypomagnesiemic patients." (R)
If I'm looking to suppress PTH? Would high magnesium (along with high calcium) intake suppress PTH?

Hans

Forum Supporter
If I'm looking to suppress PTH? Would high magnesium (along with high calcium) intake suppress PTH?
It should yes.
"Mg was able to reduce PTH only if parathyroid glands were exposed to moderately low Ca concentrations; with normal–high Ca concentrations, the effect of Mg on PTH inhibition was minor or absent."

Dr. B

dont you want PTH to be as low as possible, Peat apparently even said people had postiive effects from surgically removing the parathyroid glands?
and if magnesium helps increase it should magnesium supplementation be avoided by people looking to keep pth suppressed?

Hans

Forum Supporter
dont you want PTH to be as low as possible, Peat apparently even said people had postiive effects from surgically removing the parathyroid glands?
and if magnesium helps increase it should magnesium supplementation be avoided by people looking to keep pth suppressed?
Magnesium lowers it if it's too high, similar to calcium, but slightly increases it if it's too low. It seems to have a balancing act.

K

Kaur Singh

There are general principles

and then,

What is happens within each particular individual and how their body responds to nutrients
and the interaction of substances and systems

My PTH is borderline low, Mg in deficiency and Ca to the higher side of normal
(per the ranges in blood tests)
I get plenty of both minerals in my diet and I have supplemented Mg in all forms in the past with no difference
My money is on once I am able to improve my thyroid/metabolic function,
that Mg is going to go back up into normal levels without me supplementing extra of it
Ca and PTH will fall were they need to be too
etc

Low Mg is code for hypothyroidism
so that when you read a paper that says low Mg does X
it's maybe wise to think of it more as an effect of low metabolic function than the Mg per se.
They are only looking at Mg and not other parameters, most of the time.
Unless the specific experiment isolates Mg, etc

[Paradoxical is also code for these observations don't fit the model we have of how things work.
I.e. the model of how things work perhaps is not quite so, etc]

Last edited by a moderator:

PaRa

never felt any real benefits from mag supps, differents forms tried ofc, only good is the maybe relaxing effect from mag bysglycinate before bed, otherwise no effect appart the laxative one that happens quite fast and having the need to wake up to pee in the night

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

There are general principles

and then,

What is happens within each particular individual and how their body responds to nutrients
and the interaction of substances and systems

My PTH is borderline low, Mg in deficiency and Ca to the higher side of normal
(per the ranges in blood tests)
I get plenty of both minerals in my diet and I have supplemented Mg in all forms in the past with no difference
My money is on once I am able to improve my thyroid/metabolic function,
that Mg is going to go back up into normal levels without me supplementing extra of it
Ca and PTH will fall were they need to be too
etc

Low Mg is code for hypothyroidism
so that when you read a paper that says low Mg does X
it's maybe wise to think of it more as an effect of low metabolic function than the Mg per se.
They are only looking at Mg and not other parameters, most of the time.
Unless the specific experiment isolates Mg, etc

[Paradoxical is also code for these observations don't fit the model we have of how things work.
I.e. the model of how things work perhaps is not quite so, etc]
this post is beautiful