Does muscle meat have more Glycine ?

Cheese liver

Hey guys just noticed this issue here.
I was comparing the glycine content in different types of food and I was rather surprised to find oxtail and lamb shanks low in glycine compared to lean beef!

1621162245960.png

1621162268375.png

As u can see it shows oxtail is lower in glycine with protein values equated. I have heard danny and Peat say it was much higher in glycine and hence advocated it more.
Is something amiss here ? Do let me know.

Quelsatron

Might be the inedible parts that give it a lower glycine concentration, what's the protein content for each?

Hans

Forum Supporter
If the meat is high in collagen, then it will be high in glycine. I've also noticed that cronometer doesn't properly log these things.

OP
C

Cheese liver

If the meat is high in collagen, then it will be high in glycine. I've also noticed that cronometer doesn't properly log these things.
Yea might be the incorrect data on chronometers part . Having eaten oxtail I cant attest that its highly gelatinous in taste and a lot chewy than muscle meat.

lampofred

I think it's the ratio of tryptophan/methionine/cysteine to glycine that matters, not absolute glycine content. Iron also antagonizes glycine.

OP
C

Cheese liver

I think it's the ratio of tryptophan/methionine/cysteine to glycine that matters, not absolute glycine content. Iron also antagonizes glycine.
cant be because the tryptophan and other amino acids are also quite similar

Last edited:

Michael Mohn

Ground beef is more than muscle meat. Good amounts of fat, tendons, fascia and skin. In earlier times they would throw in small organs like thyroid. Recently some retards made a stink about high collagen (alteration, "butcher's waste") in ground beef and now the big retailers write not more than 10% collagen on the ground beef package.

B

Braveheart

Tend to agree...Would you know those ratios off hand?

lampofred

Tend to agree...Would you know those ratios off hand?

No I think OP is right... lean beef has very similar ratios (even slightly better according to Cronometer) than oxtail & lamb shanks. I think the explanation might be that Peat makes soup from oxtail & lamb shanks & throws away the actual meat, the glycine gets concentrated in the soup without tryptophan/methionone/cysteine, making its amino acid composition a lot like that of gelatin, which has absolutely 0 tryptophan.

OP
C

Cheese liver

No I think OP is right... lean beef has very similar ratios (even slightly better according to Cronometer) than oxtail & lamb shanks. I think the explanation might be that Peat makes soup from oxtail & lamb shanks & throws away the actual meat, the glycine gets concentrated in the soup without tryptophan/methionone/cysteine, making its amino acid composition a lot like that of gelatin, which has absolutely 0 tryptophan.
If you have seen Danny Roddy's video on oxtail then you might have seen he keeps the meat. I dont think he would have advocated as such if it didnt had more gelatin.

Jack Earth

Cronometer is off on many things

hunchoz

Are you guys serious. Glycine is in the bones in and skin. Boil the oxtail bones for 4 hours, thats where the glycine and other collagen amino acids are.

Michael Mohn

Are you guys serious. Glycine is in the bones in and skin. Boil the oxtail bones for 4 hours, thats where the glycine and other collagen amino acids are.
Collagen in bones is bound to calciumphosphat, without strong acids the bones will not dissolve and then the end product is non edible but was only used as glue before petrochemical made it obsolete. Gelatin comes from skin, tendons, ligaments not bones.

hunchoz

Collagen in bones is bound to calciumphosphat, without strong acids the bones will not dissolve and then the end product is non edible but was only used as glue before petrochemical made it obsolete. Gelatin comes from skin, tendons, ligaments not bones.
If you boil oxtails for 4 hours-6 , it becomes stock when cool turns to gelatin which is high in glycine. I was refering to ligaments,tendons as bones.

Last edited:
OP
C

Cheese liver

not denying oxtail doesnt have glycine just want to find out if muscle meat has more ...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals