Does Milk Help With Weight Loss?

Birdie

My husband just sent me this quote. Sorry Don't know where he got it.

Meanwhile, on the opposite end of the country, scientists at Cornell University are using milk a tad more effectively: to breed "supermice"...

Readers with impeccable memories might remember our early July mention of a lesser-known ingredient in milk that's stimulating lots of interest.

"Some scientists believe that this substance is a naturally occurring vitamin," Patrick Cox said then, "capable of acting like a natural, but effective weight-loss drug with steroidlike abilities to increase muscle mass and strength."

Early tests with this drug on rats at Cornell revealed stunning results: They didn't become obese, their muscle performance increased, their energy expenditure improved and there was no sign of developmental diabetes. All without side effects.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Very cool!

kiran

The above quote is from here: http://5minforecast.agorafinancial.com/ ... at-escape/

The "july mention" they're talking about is here: http://5minforecast.agorafinancial.com/ ... 0abilities

The ingredient they're talkin about is nicotinamide riboside
One of milk’s lesser-known ingredients might hold the key to solving chronic obesity and heart disease, according to research Patrick Cox is reading.

It’s called “nicotinamide riboside” — a cousin to niacin, or vitamin B3. “Some scientists believe that NR is a naturally occurring vitamin,” says Patrick, “capable of acting like a natural, but effective weight-loss drug with steroidlike abilities to increase muscle mass and strength.”

Early tests in rats, conducted by Cornell University and a team of Swiss researchers, are promising: A summary published by Cornell found NR to “prevent obesity in mice that are fed a fatty diet, and also increase muscle performance, improve energy expenditure and prevent diabetes development, all without side effects.”

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Does anyone know where this "nicotinamide riboside" is located? In the cream, whey, somewhere else? I know usually most vitamins reside in the fat. Just wondering.....

OP
B

Birdie

kiran said:
The above quote is from here: http://5minforecast.agorafinancial.com/ ... at-escape/

The "july mention" they're talking about is here: http://5minforecast.agorafinancial.com/ ... 0abilities

One of milk’s lesser-known ingredients might hold the key to solving chronic obesity and heart disease, according to research Patrick Cox is reading.

It’s called “nicotinamide riboside” — a cousin to niacin, or vitamin B3. “Some scientists believe that NR is a naturally occurring vitamin,” says Patrick, “capable of acting like a natural, but effective weight-loss drug with steroidlike abilities to increase muscle mass and strength.”

Early tests in rats, conducted by Cornell University and a team of Swiss researchers, are promising: A summary published by Cornell found NR to “prevent obesity in mice that are fed a fatty diet, and also increase muscle performance, improve energy expenditure and prevent diabetes development, all without side effects.”
Thanks, Kiran. I just saw this. Yep, it was Agoura. Bring on the milk! Actually, I'm losing my taste for milky coffee. I wonder how that happened. I still love cheese, but want to drink more milk. Will have to think about this. I wonder if anybody else has this situation or an answer???

kiran

Birdie said:
Thanks, Kiran. I just saw this. Yep, it was Agoura. Bring on the milk! Actually, I'm losing my taste for milky coffee. I wonder how that happened. I still love cheese, but want to drink more milk. Will have to think about this. I wonder if anybody else has this situation or an answer???

Do you add sugar/salt to your milk?
Maybe you're just drinking too much liquid and need to up your salt intake.

OP
B

Birdie

kiran said:
Birdie said:

Do you add sugar/salt to your milk?
Maybe you're just drinking too much liquid and need to up your salt intake.
Thanks for the reply Kiran. I'm not sure about too much liquid. I take pinches of salt all day long. The thought of salt in my milk makes my tummy queasy.

I have 2 mugs of tea/milk before and with breakie. A coke later usually. Two big glasses of oj each day. This morning I made hot chocolate and drank a mug. I had to take lysine with it to guard against a Shingles flare from the cocoa.

I drink about a qt of milk/coffee/sug a day but, lately, not as much. More cheese. But cheese is hard to measure to be sure you get enough. And milk is better with the weight even with lower fat cheese. It's not as low as low fat milk.

I do have the desire to drink oj and coke!! It's just the milk that's repulsing me. Actually, now that I'm thinking, there is something wrong. I'm eating masa corn chips made with seed oil every weekend. That would be filling me up and oj or coke would be appetizing, then, but not milk. I have these chips around 4pm.

Okay, better cut the seed oil chips. I have masa tortillas and masa flour so better use those. Still tho, I have the problem during the week without chips to blame. (I'm starchless during the week.)

Regarding milk and weight loss, I did have a milk/maple syrup drink instead of H-D at bedtime. Salt separate. I keep reminding myself of what Cliff said about ice cream not being a high protein/high carb food. Something like that. It's a fat food isn't it! :roll:

gretchen

I didn't drink milk for 20 years. Easily, the worst years of my life on many levels.

OP
B

Birdie

gretchen said:
I didn't drink milk for 20 years. Easily, the worst years of my life on many levels.
I'm with you! But I was telling everyone the "Cows milk is for baby cows" and, luckily, at the same time drinking several lattes a day. We had a machine back then. I wish we had a machine now.

OP
B

Birdie

I finally lost another pound. Still drinking milk (in lattes, tea) and eating cheese. I don't want to analyze it but am glad it's happened. As a Former Fat Girl, it's extremely hard for me to not gain weight. Strangely, lately I've not been hungry. But I'm not saying that a mere lack of hunger keeps me from wanting to eat. It helps but the weight thing is still hard work... for me. :)

PeatThemAll

As some vegans say, milk = liquid meat. Which is *great* as its liquid form = maximum contact surface for enzymes to work with = better assimilation and more discretionary energy left for other body processes.

OP
B

Birdie

Since the forum sent me notification of a new comment here, I just read my remarks, above, from April 2013.
So, and update is that I did get back to liking milky coffee. Drink a lot of it.

I did lose the 20 pounds or whatever it was. I'll just thank Peat for saying milk is a good diet food. Maybe he said low fat. Last I heard he said he was drinking 2%, but that was ages ago. Wonder what he's doing now milk-wise.

Anyway, here's a bump for the info Kirin gathered for us:

kiran said:
post 5046 The above quote is from here: http://5minforecast.agorafinancial.com/ ... at-escape/

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
B

Birdie

Bump for all this.
And I've been using 1% for ages.

Hildy

Since the forum sent me notification of a new comment here, I just read my remarks, above, from April 2013.
So, and update is that I did get back to liking milky coffee. Drink a lot of it.

I did lose the 20 pounds or whatever it was. I'll just thank Peat for saying milk is a good diet food. Maybe he said low fat. Last I heard he said he was drinking 2%, but that was ages ago. Wonder what he's doing now milk-wise.

Anyway, here's a bump for the info Kirin gathered for us:

Birdie, I know this is a thread from a few years ago, but you've confirmed what I've read about milk and dairy- that it is good for weight loss :clapping::clapping::clapping::):

I have just started on this milk/dairy thing and I've already lost 1/2 lb. I was a no milk/ rare milk drinker. Only had half and half in my coffee. And cheese.

According to a thread I posted here: Wow, Peat Is Right! Milk And Dairy Really ARE Weight Loss Foods

The articles I posted in the threads said you need to have 1,200 mgs of calcium from DAIRY more than just supplements to get the weight loss benefits.

Maybe this naturally occurring magic ingredient in the dairy products, this "nicotinimide riboside", is what makes milk/dairy so helpful - because the articles I've read said that getting the calcium from REAL dairy sources is what helped with weight loss - Maybe the nicotinimide riboside activates or works with calcium and does the beneficial work.

I've never been a big milk drinker but this is huge for me. I'm also finding that milk satisfies me and I'm not really that hungry, but I'm drinking 2% grass fed milk. I think the skim might make me hungrier.

I'm going to research this " nicotinimide riboside" and maybe make a thread on that . I'm thinking that this form of
of nicotinimide is what your body can accept because I know a lot of people have problems from the supplements.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Maybe this naturally occurring magic ingredient in the dairy products, this "nicotinimide riboside"
I was researching nicotinamide riboside this morning and was even planning on purchasing some but the entry level is too high for me right now. I did not know that milk contained it. It seems this form of niacin is the most powerful in raising NAD levels.

Hildy

I was researching nicotinamide riboside this morning and was even planning on purchasing some but the entry level is too high for me right now. I did not know that milk contained it. It seems this form of niacin is the most powerful in raising NAD levels.

Oh that's too funny - what a synchronicity :D

The more I read and research, it seems like the naturally derived ingredients are superior to the supplements- so for me personally, I am focusing on the food sources if I can get them in sufficient amounts . Otherwise, I am supplementing.

My gut feeling is this nicotinimide riboside works with the calcium in the milk and dairy products-I have no way of proving that unless I research it. But as I said in my other post, the calcium content from naturally derived dairy sources is what really helped with weight loss. More than when the people took just calcium supplements.

Maybe there's a special interaction of calcium and nicotinimide ribose working synergistically together. That would be something to explore.

Is there a naturally derived nicotinimide riboside supplement available? Or were you saying it's too expensive? Probably wouldn't hurt to experiment with it if it was reasonably priced.

I will have to research about those NAD levels. Anyway, this is good stuff!

Hildy

Wow, you aren't kidding. Just looked on Amazon and the nicotinimide riboside is pretty pricy, especially if one is using a lot of other supplements

Hildy

Nutritional yeast has a lot of niacinimide ribose- couldn't determine the amount though

OP
B

Birdie

Oh that's too funny - what a synchronicity :D

The more I read and research, it seems like the naturally derived ingredients are superior to the supplements- so for me personally, I am focusing on the food sources if I can get them in sufficient amounts . Otherwise, I am supplementing.

My gut feeling is this nicotinimide riboside works with the calcium in the milk and dairy products-I have no way of proving that unless I research it. But as I said in my other post, the calcium content from naturally derived dairy sources is what really helped with weight loss. More than when the people took just calcium supplements.

Maybe there's a special interaction of calcium and nicotinimide ribose working synergistically together. That would be something to explore.

Is there a naturally derived nicotinimide riboside supplement available? Or were you saying it's too expensive? Probably wouldn't hurt to experiment with it if it was reasonably priced.

I will have to research about those NAD levels. Anyway, this is good stuff!
Yes, I was just listening to that Ray interview from March 2019 where he's talking about staying away from supplements. He mentioned his usual bad additives like silica, but then went on to magnesium stearate.

I use a lot of supplements. Well, I've cut down to about 25% of what I used pre-Peat. Still, a lot. I'm always rethinking and evolving on supplements. But as RP says, I also, make any changes gradually.

OP
B

Birdie

I have a milk update though. I am intolerant of the solanine in nightshades such as tomato, potato, etc.
I have known for a long time that the vitamin A added to milk is the palmitate form which is solanine derived.

Now, finally, I've decided to take action with avoiding palmitate. Ray has said it is a bad form of vitamin A anyway.
Unfortunately, my new non-palmitate A milk only comes in full fat.
You could say the fortunate part is that the fat in it will contain a good form of vitamin A.

I was sorry that the 2% had palmitate vitamin A added to it. Well darn. Fat milk it is.
Have to say though, I was surprised to taste it. Wow. So much better than my old Great Value milk.

But, I'll drink less. The fat plus the Price!! Using Organic Valley Grass whole Milk.