Does Milk Cause Mucus?

I'm noticing a lot of allergies hay fever this spring and I think milk may be making it worse.

What is your experience?

Diokine

If I'm not in tip-top metabolic shape, most commercial milk will cause me some issues including mucus. I find chewing the milk up and mixing it thoroughly with saliva helps quite a bit.

J

James IV

Anything you can't digest completely can potentially "cause" mucus.

i've never had any issues with commercial milk, but maybe you could try different brands, try organic, and if all else fails, go with the stuff in the glass jugs at your nearest Whole Foods

OP
ecstatichamster
I've stopped all dairy. Now day 2. I'm MUCH less stuffed up. Didn't take any pills today, and I might not have to. Wow.

keith

RP said something about people having allergic reactions to what the cows ate, so another brand might help, if the cows are in another location, where, perhaps what they are eating isn't an allergen for you. I imagine they get all sorts of pollen in/on their feed, and the pollen comes out in different places at different times, and the pollenating plants vary from location to location, etc., so some might not bother you.

As I write this, though, it occurs to me that it would probably be easier to avoid it until hay fever season is over than to buy a bunch of different kinds of milk you may or may not have a reaction to. If the reaction is really due to what the cows ate, cheese might be ok, since it will probably have been aged a bit, so might have come from milk produced before the pollen.

yerrag

There are two types of milk from cows. One type causes mucus, the other doesn't. Unfortunately, milk labels don't tell give us this information. So, it's safe to just avoid cow's milk and switch to goat's milk or other kinds of milk. I get to choose from regular cow's milk, and milk from goats and milk from water buffaloes (the source for mozzarella cheese).

I personally have no allergic reaction nor develop mucus from any milk, but had to choose goat's milk as the milk to use when my dad had a lot of phegm. Goat milk doesn't taste as good as cow's milk, and milk from water buffaloes is the tastiest.

J

James IV

Have you tried quitting the potatoes for a
Week or two, and using all sugar carbs, to see if it helps with the milk?

lvysaur

galactose causes mucus in many people.

OP
ecstatichamster
my mucus problem is clearly from dairy.

If I am not experiencing hay fever symptoms I can drink a lot of milk. But there is a "barrel effect" where allergens from the air + allergens from, say, milk, overflow the "barrel" and cause symptoms. In my case, terrible nasal allergies, just terrible.

Without milk, it is tolerable without antihistamines. With the milk, antihistamines barely made a dent and I was miserable.