OP
L

Logan-

for the common masses the most basic things is what they first and foremost should focus on:

· Tongue in the roof of the mouth.

· Teeth in light contact.

· Lips sealed.

· Breath through the nose.

· Swallow correctly by pushing upwards against the roof of the mouth with the tongue.

· Chew sufficiently every day, if you eat soft foods then compensate by chewing gum daily.

From:A Summary of How to Integrate Orthotropics into Your Life & Habits; Action steps : orthotropics

Whichway?

I’m interested in this. If done early in childhood and good tongue habits are established results should be very good due to optimal growth.

Not sure how good it can work in adults like me who were mouth breathers as kids and needed braces as a result. It may give results but I imagine it would be slow, as in several years. Interested to hear from those that have used it to correct adult problems.

I actually looked into this in the past, because it came up as a possible way to reduce nasal congestion, which I was frequently suffering at the time. Anyway, I came across two cases where the people practicing 'oral posture' seemed to have had significant facial restructuring:

One young man's result::
profile before and after
Another young woman's result (her photos are near the bottom of the page):
What Makes a Face Attractive? It’s all in the Tongue.

Mew seems a bit strange but I think there's definitely something to what he's saying. I even saw a similar kind of argument that suggested skull development was limited by the introduction of forks/knives, because people would previously have to pull and tear tougher to chew things like meat or other fibrous material, and this would lead to a kind of 'workout' for the jaw and other muscles: How Forks Gave Us Overbites and Pots Saved the Toothless - The Atlantic

OP
L

Logan-

Interested to hear from those that have used it to correct adult problems.

+1
I actually looked into this in the past, because it came up as a possible way to reduce nasal congestion, which I was frequently suffering at the time. Anyway, I came across two cases where the people practicing 'oral posture' seemed to have had significant facial restructuring:

One young man's result::
profile before and after
Another young woman's result (her photos are near the bottom of the page):
What Makes a Face Attractive? It’s all in the Tongue.

Mew seems a bit strange but I think there's definitely something to what he's saying. I even saw a similar kind of argument that suggested skull development was limited by the introduction of forks/knives, because people would previously have to pull and tear tougher to chew things like meat or other fibrous material, and this would lead to a kind of 'workout' for the jaw and other muscles: How Forks Gave Us Overbites and Pots Saved the Toothless - The Atlantic

Thanks for sharing these.

OP
L

Logan-

I wonder if mewing helps with overlapping teeth? From what I understand, it should.

Edit: This is from another member:

In order to get this forward position you have to keep you mouth closed the vast majority of the time, and ideally keep your tongue on the roof of your mouth, flush against your pallet. This will promote a forward position of the bone and will provide more room for the teeth to prevent crowding. There is also a correlation between the strength of your jawing muscles and the density of your mandible (jaw bone).

There is a youtube channel devoted to this idea, and its just called "orthotropics" you should check it out.

Last edited:
OP
L

Logan-

Dr. Mike Mew has some good points.

According to him things like crooked teeth and reduced airways size are attributed to a narrowing of the upper jaw/pallet. As the upper jaw is reduced and falls into the airway, there is less room for the bones to exist in proper alignment and facial discrepancies occur. He illustrates this with a crushing of a piece of paper.

The reason this happens is poor posture. Proper posture is keeping the mouth closed, tongue on the roof of the mouth, the scull position properly above the spine.

View attachment 6337

This is a picture of the maxilla, this is the bone that gets set back when it is not supported by the jaw and tongue. You can see how this bone falling back would equate to less room for the teeth as well as for the airway.

View attachment 6338

Here is a picture of the palate, and you can see that having a narrow one would result in crooked teeth. You can also see that the tongue should naturally sit in contact with the palate, and the forces from this would equate to strait teeth.

View attachment 6339

You can see how having good posture would equate to facial symmetry and beauty

View attachment 6340

This is a picture of a lady who has had a stroke and has clear facial asymmetry. The stroke has caused her to lose the ability to use the muscles on one side of the face. Without support for one side of her face that part falls due to the forces of gravity. This also proves that bones are moldable over time and are not determined by genetics, but instead environmental factors.

If this is true in a negative way with bad results than it is also true in a positive way with good results as you will see in the next pictures.

View attachment 6341

View attachment 6342

View attachment 6343

These are all example of children with fast metabolisms and greater adaptability to respond to their environment. I believe that adults can achieve the same results as long as they are dedicated. I also believe that following ray peats advise will largely influence the bodies ability to respond.

The bones will respond better under healthy conditions set up by a ray peat inspired diet. The only thing that you will have to overcome is the postural habits that you have learned from birth in this laptop/TV environment. This is very difficult but I have done it personally and my teeth are strait and my airway is open, this was all untrue in the past. I also have no facial asymmetries although I never did.

If you take anything away from this, then it should be that the environment influences the positions of our bones (not genetics). Posture seems to have the greatest effect.

But please people experiment yourselves and let me know if you get any results! You should expect some sort of results around six months I would imagine. But this is reliant on how fast you can break the bad posture. Good luck!

If you have any questions than just ask me, and I will try.

(Recommended Reading) :https://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/notes-from-yesteryear/100-years-before-weston-price/

This is so interesting. I first read about it on this forum last year and have been trying it myself based on what I have read and I seriously see a difference now. Unfortunately, I have no before and after - yikes - goofy to not have taken before pictures. But now my tongue is trained to remain in contact with upper palate and I experience swallowing from the back of the tongue not moving my mouth all around like before.

I have before and after's but I really don't want to post them and have the chance of them being posted all over the internet. They are also really poor quality images. They really cant even illustrate the amount of change that has happened to my face over the past year. I suppose I could black out the eyes but then I would be accused of faking it, due to amazing differences in each of the facial profiles.

I also think that a lot of change has occurred do to ray peating, because I used to have swollen face with a non-existent jaw line and shortly after changing my diet a little I lost a lot of that facial swelling almost overnight. Its a debate on whether to do it or not.

I'm glad to hear that its worked for you! I have heard so many success stories! Keep up the great work!!

I've been mewing for about a year. I'm 32 now. I'm definitely noticing changes.

Last edited:
OP
L

Logan-

Dr. Mike Mew has some good points.

According to him things like crooked teeth and reduced airways size are attributed to a narrowing of the upper jaw/pallet. As the upper jaw is reduced and falls into the airway, there is less room for the bones to exist in proper alignment and facial discrepancies occur. He illustrates this with a crushing of a piece of paper.

The reason this happens is poor posture. Proper posture is keeping the mouth closed, tongue on the roof of the mouth, the scull position properly above the spine.

View attachment 6337

This is a picture of the maxilla, this is the bone that gets set back when it is not supported by the jaw and tongue. You can see how this bone falling back would equate to less room for the teeth as well as for the airway.

View attachment 6338

Here is a picture of the palate, and you can see that having a narrow one would result in crooked teeth. You can also see that the tongue should naturally sit in contact with the palate, and the forces from this would equate to strait teeth.

View attachment 6339

You can see how having good posture would equate to facial symmetry and beauty

View attachment 6340

This is a picture of a lady who has had a stroke and has clear facial asymmetry. The stroke has caused her to lose the ability to use the muscles on one side of the face. Without support for one side of her face that part falls due to the forces of gravity. This also proves that bones are moldable over time and are not determined by genetics, but instead environmental factors.

If this is true in a negative way with bad results than it is also true in a positive way with good results as you will see in the next pictures.

View attachment 6341

View attachment 6342

View attachment 6343

These are all example of children with fast metabolisms and greater adaptability to respond to their environment. I believe that adults can achieve the same results as long as they are dedicated. I also believe that following ray peats advise will largely influence the bodies ability to respond.

The bones will respond better under healthy conditions set up by a ray peat inspired diet. The only thing that you will have to overcome is the postural habits that you have learned from birth in this laptop/TV environment. This is very difficult but I have done it personally and my teeth are strait and my airway is open, this was all untrue in the past. I also have no facial asymmetries although I never did.

If you take anything away from this, then it should be that the environment influences the positions of our bones (not genetics). Posture seems to have the greatest effect.

But please people experiment yourselves and let me know if you get any results! You should expect some sort of results around six months I would imagine. But this is reliant on how fast you can break the bad posture. Good luck!

If you have any questions than just ask me, and I will try.

(Recommended Reading) :https://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/notes-from-yesteryear/100-years-before-weston-price/

Dr. B

for the common masses the most basic things is what they first and foremost should focus on:

· Tongue in the roof of the mouth.

· Teeth in light contact.

· Lips sealed.

· Breath through the nose.

· Swallow correctly by pushing upwards against the roof of the mouth with the tongue.

· Chew sufficiently every day, if you eat soft foods then compensate by chewing gum daily.

From:A Summary of How to Integrate Orthotropics into Your Life & Habits; Action steps : orthotropics
what are some good gums? they seem hard to find
especially since "gum base" can contain 75 different ingredients, usually polyester/plastic based.

im looking into beeswax to chew daily.. for chewing and its policosanols...

BodhiBlues

what are some good gums? they seem hard to find
especially since "gum base" can contain 75 different ingredients, usually polyester/plastic based.

im looking into beeswax to chew daily.. for chewing and its policosanols...
I get this stuff Greco Gum

It's completely natural, very high quality and tough so it is better than normal gum for strengthening your jaw muscles.

They are sold out right now but stock up fairly often.

Dr. B

It's completely natural, very high quality and tough so it is better than normal gum for strengthening your jaw muscles.

good stuff mate do they sell on amazon
i did search mastic gum on amazon, the reviews seemed negative for many, dont think i saw this brand
how many pieces are in one pack? seems very expensive
are the ingredients just pure mastic gum, or any flavors/fillers?

what do they mean by rechewable, do you rechew yours?
seems like you only get maybe 20 or 30 pieces for 27 bucks!
ill probably chew it 3x a week? thats what i used to do with 5 gum years ago... chew it for an hour on the right side, hour on the left, then redo for another hour each

golder

Great find. Do you know if there are any UK alternatives?

BodhiBlues

good stuff mate do they sell on amazon
i did search mastic gum on amazon, the reviews seemed negative for many, dont think i saw this brand
how many pieces are in one pack? seems very expensive
are the ingredients just pure mastic gum, or any flavors/fillers?

what do they mean by rechewable, do you rechew yours?
seems like you only get maybe 20 or 30 pieces for 27 bucks!
ill probably chew it 3x a week? thats what i used to do with 5 gum years ago... chew it for an hour on the right side, hour on the left, then redo for another hour each

They don't sell on Amazon I think. I don't know how many pieces it was, but mine has lasted months (I don't chew every day though). As it is natural some pieces are small and others bigger so you might chew 2 or 3 at a time and they start of crunchy and then soften once they have been in your mouth for a few mins. I believe that it is just pure mastic gum with nothing added.

I rechew mine yea, once I have chewed for a while I stick it to the top inside of the tin that the gum comes in. I don't normally rechew the same piece for more than a day though as It hardens quickly and can be hard to get it off of the tin.

JamesGatz

I'm wondering if there is possibly a better thing to chew on that's peaty?

I liked mastic gum it's good but I feel like it neutralizes my stomach acid or something of this nature - has an interesting effect on my stomach/stomach acid - not sure if it's positive or negative

All the other gums on the market seem to be poisonous stuff

I can't seem to think of anything that gives the jaws something to chew on for 30 minutes that could be peaty ... hardened gelatin seems to be combined with starchy stuff to make the chewable gummies ... not sure

Dr. B

I'm wondering if there is possibly a better thing to chew on that's peaty?

I liked mastic gum it's good but I feel like it neutralizes my stomach acid or something of this nature - has an interesting effect on my stomach/stomach acid - not sure if it's positive or negative

All the other gums on the market seem to be poisonous stuff

I can't seem to think of anything that gives the jaws something to chew on for 30 minutes that could be peaty ... hardened gelatin seems to be combined with starchy stuff to make the chewable gummies ... not sure
there is, beeswax pellets, theres organic ones on amazon and they seem similar shaped to the mastic gum pellets
they have policosanols too
some mainstream gums are better than the typical 5 gum, but even the "gum base" ingredient alone, actually can have 75 different ingredients, and is usually a mix of different polyesters/plastics/rubbers...
i think pur gum and simply gum were some of the ones using just gum base with no sweetener...
simply gum also uses a tree sap of some sort, but every one of their flavors has citric acid. even the cinnamon and maple flavors have citric acid.
you may not absorb much if it stays in the gum, but it messes with the teeth, definitely irritates the teeth chewing a citric acid containing gum for hours. even the 5 gum with its food colors and sweeteners isnt as tough on the teeth as simply gum.

Amazon product ASIN B00N37CCASView: https://www.amazon.com/Simply-Gum-Maple-Chewing-Pieces/dp/B00N37CCAS