Does Marijuana Smoking Age Skin?

In my view I think all longstanding smoking/exposure to smoke of any sort contributes slowly to collagen issues/fine lines/wrinkles/DNA damage/etc., even if not very noticeable until middle-aged or so. This concept also applies to benzenes or benzene like exposure found in stuff like BBQs, radiations (i.e., just being outside even), etc.

Of course most are bound to get these eventually, but I think it's just speeding up decay/more cons than pros if you're a regular or heavy smoker (smoking at least weekly up to like a pack a day +/-) or hang around smokers often. All of the smoking suggestions are not entirely bad though, but it's not something I'd consider doing in any case.

lampofred

RP said all smoke is carcinogenic. Plus marijuana is estrogenic.

rei

Speculation here is kinda worthless. Smoke is carcinogen yet smoking marijuana protects against lung cancer.

Waynish

Where there is smoke, there is fire. Inhaling things on fire will age the skin... Lots of advise here will reduce/reverse the damage, though.

OP
P

Pufa

RP said all smoke is carcinogenic. Plus marijuana is estrogenic.

Got it. You know where I can find that article?
I was thinking of switching to edibles but if marijuana is estrogenic then even edibles wouldn't be healthy

Ihor

Got it. You know where I can find that article?
I was thinking of switching to edibles but if marijuana is estrogenic then even edibles wouldn't be healthy

This is fairly common information about the formation of Acetaldehyde from tobacco and marijuana during their combustion when smoking, which is a carcinogen and toxic to humans. Here are some from the wiki:

"Tobacco smoke:
Natural tobacco polysaccharides, including cellulose, have been shown to be the primary precursors making acetaldehyde a significant constituent of tobacco smoke. [51] [52] It has been demonstrated to have a synergistic effect with nicotine in rodent studies of addiction. [53] [54] Acetaldehyde is also the most abundant carcinogen in tobacco smoke; it is dissolved into the saliva while smoking."

"Cannabis smoke:
Acetaldehyde has been found in cannabis smoke.
This finding emerged through the use of new chemical techniques that demonstrated the acetaldehyde present was causing DNA damage in laboratory settings. "

Acetaldehyde - Wikipedia

OP
P

Pufa

This is fairly common information about the formation of Acetaldehyde from tobacco and marijuana during their combustion when smoking, which is a carcinogen and toxic to humans. Here are some from the wiki:

"Tobacco smoke:
Natural tobacco polysaccharides, including cellulose, have been shown to be the primary precursors making acetaldehyde a significant constituent of tobacco smoke. [51] [52] It has been demonstrated to have a synergistic effect with nicotine in rodent studies of addiction. [53] [54] Acetaldehyde is also the most abundant carcinogen in tobacco smoke; it is dissolved into the saliva while smoking."

"Cannabis smoke:
Acetaldehyde has been found in cannabis smoke.
This finding emerged through the use of new chemical techniques that demonstrated the acetaldehyde present was causing DNA damage in laboratory settings. "

Acetaldehyde - Wikipedia

Damn.. smoking was my fav method. I'm weaning off but insomnia has prevented me from quitting fully. Any supps help with the withdrawal?

jyb

There is conflicting opinions about this topic - at least about smoking cigarettes and nicotine. On one hand, nicotine can be a vasoconstrictor and I assume that is why Dr Peat claims it tends to cause wrinkle in young age (while being brain protective in old age). On the other hand, not everyone seems to experience this vasoconstriction and some claim smokers tend to have better hair (colour), a possible explanation being the stimulation of catalase. A reason why people think smoking ages the skin comes from meeting people in mid to old age who smoke and have bad skin. I see this all the time. However, there is correlation to lower economic status and poor habits generally, so these observations are not very conclusive.

Last edited:

Ihor

Damn.. smoking was my fav method. I'm weaning off but insomnia has prevented me from quitting fully. Any supps help with the withdrawal?
I honestly don’t know, because I’m not a smoker and have never smoked on an ongoing basis, but I think that if there is some degree of dependence and it is difficult to quit smoking immediately, then you can first reduce the number of cigarettes to a minimum and partially switch to vape, or immediately completely go to vape with a complete rejection of cigarettes, and so over time throw cigarettes, and then the throw vape too. Probably with such a strategy the harm will be minimized.
I think if there is an addiction, then completely quitting smoking is stress, and in any other stressful situation, the body will crave cigarettes or marijuana again and this is also stress, so here the main strategy is to replace the more harmful with the less harmful. :)
I don’t know about supplements, is there anything that raises dopamine and lowers serotonin? It's certainly not weed, but for relaxation you can try the banal combination of gelatin (glycine) and magnesium glycinate :D.

Last edited:
OP
P

Pufa

I honestly don’t know, because I’m not a smoker and have never smoked on an ongoing basis, but I think that if there is some degree of dependence and it is difficult to quit smoking immediately, then you can first reduce the number of cigarettes to a minimum and partially switch to vape, or immediately completely go to vape with a complete rejection of cigarettes, and so over time throw cigarettes, and then the throw vape too. Probably with such a strategy the harm will be minimized.
I think if there is an addiction, then completely quitting smoking is stress, and in any other stressful situation, the body will crave cigarettes or marijuana again and this is also stress, so here the main strategy is to replace the more harmful with the less harmful. :)
I don’t know about supplements, is there anything that raises dopamine and lowers serotonin? It's certainly not weed, but for relaxation you can try the banal combination of gelatin (glycine) and magnesium glycinate :D.

It's a good strategy.. slowly transition to avoid the stress. That's funny I have both supplements but never took them together at night to relax.
Just started with the gelatin.. goes great in soups and maybe even makes it taste better.. and it adds a lot protein if you lift weights.

JenLN

I am pretty convinced weed is progestegenic—afterall its been shown to acutely increase pregnenolone—which would explain some of the benefits. Smoke weed everyday, indeed

Faith

I have smoked marijuana almost every day for about 35 years (except when pregnant and breastfeeding), and often receive compliments on my skin. I'm 50 but people assume that I am much younger. Peating and minimizing histamine has improved it even more, and I'm getting more comments than ever. I suspect this has to do with pregnenolone production. While I agree that smoking is not ideal for health, pot is nothing like tobacco. THC and CBD, especially together have some benefit to health. Also, Niacinamide has been helpful.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals