Does Lowering Cholesterol Lower Estrogen?

sladerunner69

Well there are different mechanisms whereby cholestrol could be lowerred. through statins or through ;pwerig intake of dietary cholestrol, I would say that your estrogen would veyr likely respond by increasing. Cholestrol is the fundamental anti stress substance that constitutes many important functions and is necessary to maintain the organism. Higher levels of blood cholesterol have been linked to longevity and immune function, as well as protecting against neurological disorders.

Much fo your cholestrol is sued to produce pregnenlone, which is an anti-stress anti-estrogen hormones, as well as any of the beneficial downstream hormones which will also be anti-estrogen. In a dietary protocol designed for lowering estrogen and raising androgens, I would raise my cholestrol intake by eating eggs and shrimp.

OP
D

dookie

Well there are different mechanisms whereby cholestrol could be lowerred. through statins or through ;pwerig intake of dietary cholestrol, I would say that your estrogen would veyr likely respond by increasing. Cholestrol is the fundamental anti stress substance that constitutes many important functions and is necessary to maintain the organism. Higher levels of blood cholesterol have been linked to longevity and immune function, as well as protecting against neurological disorders.

Much fo your cholestrol is sued to produce pregnenlone, which is an anti-stress anti-estrogen hormones, as well as any of the beneficial downstream hormones which will also be anti-estrogen. In a dietary protocol designed for lowering estrogen and raising androgens, I would raise my cholestrol intake by eating eggs and shrimp.

Yea, I'm well aware of all those theoretical things. Still I haven't heard of anyone increasing their cholesterol and claiming that it felt like taking pregnenolone or progesterone, or had any similar effects to using a steroid. So yea, the theory goes that cholesterol turns into the protective anti-estrogen steroids. But my question is: will lowering cholesterol lower estrogen?

sladerunner69

Yea, I'm well aware of all those theoretical things. Still I haven't heard of anyone increasing their cholesterol and claiming that it felt like taking pregnenolone or progesterone, or had any similar effects to using a steroid. So yea, the theory goes that cholesterol turns into the protective anti-estrogen steroids. But my question is: will lowering cholesterol lower estrogen?

I've often heard of people taking pregnenelone as part of a therapy, and then moving to eating extra cholestrol. Eating a few pastured eggs before bed always helped me feel more androgenic in the morning.

haidut

Forum Supporter
I know that lowering cholesterol, with drugs such as statins, tends to lower the protective steroids like progesterone and DHEA. But would using a statin (or another cholesterol lowering strategy) also lower the more "end metabolites" of the hormonal cascade, such as cortisol and estrogen? It seems that even estrogen derives from cholesterol

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/13/Steroidogenesis.svg

@haidut ?

Well, the effect of statins on steroid synthesis is not so much due to the cholesterol lowering as it has to do with depletion of CoQ10, magnesium, and inhibition of various steroidogenic enzymes down the pathways. Statins do not drive your cholesterol that low, but they do drive it low enough to increase risk of cancer (https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/03/120326113713.htm).
Without CoQ10 your mitochondria cannot really function and all steroids are produced there. Also, I think statins inhibit 3b-HSD and 17b-HSD which tends to lower progesterone and androgen synthesis but leave estrogen and cortisol synthesis intact. I suppose if you OD on statins eventually even cortisol and estrogen will decline but they would be the last ones to go. Cortisol and estrogen are simply the emergency steroids, so they are typically the last ones to go. Any poison (like statins) affects first the oxidative energy production and the steroids that depend on it the most. Finasteride and PPI drugs have some very similar effects, and perhaps the quickest way to give somebody cancer or some other deadly disease is to use a statin, a PPI, and a 5-AR inhibitor. Sadly, this is probably the most widely used trio of drugs in most males above 40. Right, @aguilaroja ?

Last edited:

aguilaroja

Well, the effect of statins on steroid synthesis is not so much due to the cholesterol lowering as it has to do with depletion of CoQ10, magnesium, and inhibition of various steroidogenic enzymes down the pathways.
....Finasteride and PPI drugs have some very similar effects, and perhaps the quickest way to give somebody cancer or some other deadly disease is to use a statin, a PPI, and a 5-AR inhibitor. Sadly, this is probably the most widely used trio of drugs in most males above 40. Right, @aguilaroja ?
Sadly, there is no shortage of best-selling pharmaceuticals with concerning side effects. Statins and PPI's are consistently top-bestsellers. My general guess is that the anti-depressant/mood/sleep drugs category is generally a bit higher than for 5-ARI’s. Many mood/sleep drugs have SSRI action problems, discussed in many forum threads. The 5-ARI category has been hurt by lawsuits and generic supply, not to mention poor outcomes.

In the U.S. alone, the sales for the statins & PPI’s are in the billions of dollars and for finasteride in the hundreds of millions. Likely that overlap affects tens of thousands of men, at least. The U.S. is the “leader” in prescription medicines.
Pharmaceutical spending per capita by country 2016 | Statistic

In “just” the 46 to 64 year old category for 2009-2012, the percentage of people using statins, PPI’s & anti-depressants are 24, 13 and 14 %.
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/hus/hus15.pdf#079

These numbers are large, so gathering them is an, ahem, undertaking. Government surveys are done over years.There is no commercial incentive to calculate these overlaps. The concern about poly-pharmacy leads to less prescriptions, not more.

biggirlkisss

will estrogen labs are not accurate because estrogen stored it fat but if prolactin high then that could make cholestrol be high.